Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem with resetting JTV-69 to factory settings

I bought a JTV-69 several months ago and have grown to like the feel of the guitar as a plain guitar and I like the sound of the regular pickups. But on the modeling side of the guitar, I loaded some presets that Variax user and for whatever reason, the patches altered the sustain and output to a considerable extent. So much so that I could no longer use the guitar for gigging, which was the primary purpose for me buying it in the first place. So, I tried multiple times to follow the instructions to reset the Variax to factory settings but each time I would do the procedure, instead of getting a flashing red light, I got a flashing white light and no discernable change was noticed. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? If so, were you able to resolve it and what were the steps you took?

The reset process doesn’t work after 2.0 firmware. You need to use the firmware update process to overwrite what is on the guitar.

Then I strongly suggest tuning the global string levels: in Workbench HD it is a menu option - reduce the level for each string until you can hear it having an effect when you pluck as hard as you would playing, then raise it slightly. 10db is quite common for the wound strings, but it will eliminate much of the built in compressor effect and the modelling will sound much more natural.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rewolf48 said:

The reset process doesn’t work after 2.0 firmware. You need to use the firmware update process to overwrite what is on the guitar.

Then I strongly suggest tuning the global string levels: in Workbench HD it is a menu option - reduce the level for each string until you can hear it having an effect when you pluck as hard as you would playing, then raise it slightly. 10db is quite common for the wound strings, but it will eliminate much of the built in compressor effect and the modelling will sound much more natural.

What kind of effect? 

Is there a video for this?

Thanks Rewolf! I will give your suggestion a try as I am desperate to have the Variax back to a usable condition. One thing I learned from this is you really have to do your own patches I think to get the result you are looking for. Is it possible to overwrite 2.0 firmware or greater with 1.71 firmware or is the global string edits enough to get the instrument sounding as good as the 1.71 firmware for the acoustic models?

By effect I mean that you can hear the string volume going down.

Think of it as a gain knob before a limiter (which is exactly what it is). If set too high then even light plucking will hit the limit and you don’t get any dynamics. Set too low and you don’t get close to the limit and you are too quiet. The Goldilocks point is when you hit the limiter only when playing hard, and you can only find it by going too low so you can hear it then nudge it back up a bit.

Unfortunately there is no magic set of numbers as every guitar is unique wood, unique player, strings, piezoelectric pickup sensitivity and playing style so Line 6 set everything to max gain and leave you to it. There has never been any good documentation about what you can do with a variable in Workbench so us users have had to work it out.

Trust me on this: string at a time lower the level until you hear it making the volume lower then push it back just a little and you will get dynamics. The most obvious model to hear an effect is the Sitar, I have never seen let alone played one, but I bet it doesn’t resonate to the slightest brush of the strings... The acoustic models become much more responsive too.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, brianjantzi1 said:

I don't know what I did, but somehow I scrambled my JTV 59 guitar models and tunings. I need to reset to factory settings. How do I reset?  I'm lost. Workbench HD looks scrambled too.

Launch Line 6 monkey and reinstall "flash memory" at the windows "do you want to keep the existing preset" click "NO" and wait to the end

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2021 at 2:27 AM, Punkyboy said:

Launch Line 6 monkey and reinstall "flash memory" at the windows "do you want to keep the existing preset" click "NO" and wait to the end

I'm trying to do a factory reset on my JTV-59 and there is no "flash memory" option anywhere in Line 6 Monkey.