Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Logic 9 Support?

sandman69

I just purchased my Helix unit 2 weeks ago and simply LOVE this thing.  Such an amazing upgrade from my HD500.  I am interested in getting the Helix Native since I get a great discount and it would make it easier for me to create presets without having to pull out the whole unit.  My DAWs I currently use are Logic Pro 9 and GarageBand.  I hadn't upgraded to X since I didn't really see a need for it as 9 was working fine for me.  However, I got the 15 day trial to check out Helix Native and can't seem to get Logic Pro 9 to see the plug-in.  Does Helix support LogicPro 9, or do I need to upgrade to X? 

Line 6 states that Helix Native is supported in Logic Pro X 10.2.3 or above. You can find that in this Q&A: 

If Logic 10 is too spendy and you just want to use Helix Native as a sidekick tool for your hardware, you could grab something low cost like Reaper. You can use Reaper as a longtime free trial if you don't mind waiting for the "nag" reminders. There are other free or low-cost options out there for Mac (GarageBand, Tracktion, etc). Have you tried it with GarageBand?

Yeah I saw that, but saw another thread where a guy was using it with LogicPro 9, but it stopped after an update.  I didn't notice any more updates on the thread, so wanted to check.  Not really an issue with the Money, mainly that 9 had done everything I needed and X didn't seem to be much of an upgrade, but seems odd if it worked at one point and 9 still supports Audio Unit Plugins that it wouldn't work.  Figured things are somewhat standard.  Perhaps Apple and Line6 had a little "agreement".

May check out Reaper or just go ahead and get X.  Surprised Apple hasn't made it not run on Sierra yet.  Actually, I think it doesn't on High Sierra, which is probably why I haven't upgraded my main iMAC to it.  Have to see if it works on my MBP which is running High Sierra.

Compatibility with Logic 9 sounds pretty iffy. Logic Pro X 10.4.1 (latest) runs without issue on my Mac with Sierra, and I think all is OK now with High Sierra. If you're already comfortable with 9 and want a quality DAW, 10 is a quantum leap and worth the expense, IMHO.

11 hours ago, soundog said:

Compatibility with Logic 9 sounds pretty iffy. Logic Pro X 10.4.1 (latest) runs without issue on my Mac with Sierra, and I think all is OK now with High Sierra. If you're already comfortable with 9 and want a quality DAW, 10 is a quantum leap and worth the expense, IMHO.

Thanks so X is that much better? I remember when it first came out, it didn't seem to be earth shaking release and wish they gave an upgrade price instead of charging the same price for everyone.  Still a good value compared to some of the others out there.  I looked at Reaper, and would rather not learn a new setup.  

And actually for my immediate purpose may just stick with Garage Band at the moment.  Mainly looking to help create my presets that I use live without having to hook up the main Helix to the computer.  Once I get back to doing some recording more may look at LogicPro X, but even then for my purposes Garage Band may be sufficient.

Plugged into GarageBand 10.2 without any problems.

Good choice. If you need to upgrade your DAW sometime, Logic Pro X packs quite a punch feature-wise. It has really evolved since 9. And I hear ya regarding learning a new setup. I tried to migrate from Logic to Studio One last year because I liked the Presonus controller, and it was really frustrating because I was so efficient using Logic. I ended up going back to Logic after wasting a week going through Studio One tutorials and manuals. Not that Studio One was lacking, but was like moving to a foreign country.

On 3/18/2018 at 2:51 PM, soundog said:

Good choice. If you need to upgrade your DAW sometime, Logic Pro X packs quite a punch feature-wise. It has really evolved since 9. And I hear ya regarding learning a new setup. I tried to migrate from Logic to Studio One last year because I liked the Presonus controller, and it was really frustrating because I was so efficient using Logic. I ended up going back to Logic after wasting a week going through Studio One tutorials and manuals. Not that Studio One was lacking, but was like moving to a foreign country.

Yeah that is very true.  I tried a couple trials awhile back and couldn't or really didn't want to spend all the time relearning how to do things.  For what Logic does I think it is one of the best value DAWs out there.  I am sure Apple knows you already put down money into the hardware, just like them including GarageBand.

Will probably go ahead and get Logic X soon, since it looks like they did make the interface a bit better.  9 made things rather small and harder to read (yes I need new glasses) and X seems to be more similar to GarageBand in regard to over all looks now and GB is so simple to get around.  X is more like GB on steroids from the looks of it.  9 and Garage Band were a bit different.   To get all the extra instruments, loops, and being able to change time signature in a song is probably worth it to me.  

Just got my FocusRite 2i2 yesterday, so one step closer to my goal.  Now to find a decent keyboard to interface with everything and then some better monitors.   Speaking of, is there anything to control presets/snapshots within Native while playing?  I am sure there is, just started messing with it.

Want to get things setup and hopefully get the kids more interested into recording.  They are both getting better with their instruments and supposedly want to start a band.  :) 

Well went ahead and pulled the trigger on Logic Pro X.  Goodness gracious that includes a TON of loops.  Now to wait for them to download.

So much nicer than 9.  I didn't care for how small everything was in 9 and now X is much easier to navigate.

awesome!! takes awhile to learn which tools to use, there are so many. tons of great free tutorial on youtube. and the logicprohelp.com forum is the best for asking questions and getting answers from helpful users.