Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to get rid of hum

vinnykeenan

Hi Guys,

I'm a relatively new Helix user/owner and although I am delighted with it, I have found an issue that I cant seem to resolve and wondered if there were any tips or upgrades to help.

My Issue - As well as using the amp models straight into the desk, I plan on using my Helix as an FX board with my Marshall JVM. I have hooked it all up via the 4 Cable Method, which is fine, but there does seem to be a lot of hum. I have changed cables and set up a Noise Suppressor at the end of the FX chain but I feel it cuts the natural sound of what is a very quiet amp. I haven't used it live yet as it could be an issue. Does anyone have any answers to this.....

Thanks for reading,

Vinny@V.K.G.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm using the helix with my JVM head. The JVM is a very quiet amp considering it can be high gain. What I have found is that as soon as I plug in the Helix using 4CM there is a hum. I changed cables but its still there. The only way to get rid of it or lessen it is by using the Noise Gate on the Helix, but set pretty high, which then means it cuts off the signal quicker that I would like. 

I use my helix in 4cm with my engl which is high gain but i place 2 noise gate blocks in the chain leave them stock settings (id have to recheck where i placed them lol) i dont use the input gate and my rig is totaly silent and my sound is unaffected so may be worth giving it a go and put 1 straight after the send/return block and move the second one around but ill check my signal chain when i get chance and reply...hope this helps.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:48 PM, jud1433 said:

I use my helix in 4cm with my engl which is high gain but i place 2 noise gate blocks in the chain leave them stock settings (id have to recheck where i placed them lol) i dont use the input gate and my rig is totaly silent and my sound is unaffected so may be worth giving it a go and put 1 straight after the send/return block and move the second one around but ill check my signal chain when i get chance and reply...hope this helps.

Thanks for the info bud. I'll check it out then let you know how it goes. 

I have the same issue and also read that an Ebtech Hum Eliminator in the FX Loop will work.  I'm going to try mine out in that position tonight.  I do put a noise gate in the last position of my front of amp block and also in the last position in the FX loop.  Both help a little, but I think the issue is a ground loop hum.  

I have a JVM 410 as well - it's a beast of an amp!!!  

Due to the various venues and their "individually unique" power feeds this is an issue that has plagued me no matter what amp I use even when using my Monster 3500 exclusively for all power connections.  I have the Ebtech Hum Eliminator and it works great.  I have used Behringer and Pyle as well with success.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...