Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix not connecting to pc at all

enjoi1124

Hey everyone, first post here!

PC is running windows 10 64 bit

I've had my Helix a little over a year now and had a problem once in the past with it bricking when I tried to update it (first day I got it actually) and by some stroke of luck I tried again to uninstall, reinstall and reupdate and it worked and all was well, have updated once since with no problems. Tonight however I went to plug my helix into another pc after a fresh driver and updater install and the pc isn't recognizing the device at all, no beeps or recognition that hardware is being attached whether or not the computer is communicating with it correctly, I tried 3 different usb cables and all my usb ports, all of which work with other devices. This is leading me to believe it may be a hardware issue? I used the device to record a few days ago but used a 1/4" out and an interface, other than that the last time I used the usb port was in December so I'm not sure how long it would've been broken. If it is a software issue I'm not sure theres anything I can do to fix it without even being able to connect it to a computer.

If anyone has had this issue or could offer some advice that would be great. Thank you!

• Like 1

It may be the usb port on the helix, although sometimes when i plug in my Helix it doesn't make a beep or sound but is connected.. Also make sure you have the latest Line 6 updater installed and see if the Line 6 installer will recognize your Helix.  

1 minute ago, Guitarzman said:

It may be the usb port on the helix, although sometimes when i plug in my Helix it doesn't make a beep or sound but is connected.. Also make sure you have the latest Line 6 updater installed and see if the Line 6 installer will recognize your Helix.  

I should have specified, the Helix editor isn't recognizing it either, beginning to think the port is broken

My impression is that this is a software issue with the "another pc." I suggest you Uninstall all Line 6 Helix software from the "another pc." Then Download and Reinstall HX Edit for Win10 from the Line 6 site. The clean reinstall of HX Edit 2.52 should reinstall the necessary drivers, Line 6 Updater 1.14, Helix Firmware 2.53 and Helix Edit 2.52 to this "another pc." Then use the Line 6 provided Helix USB cable on the main Buss connected USB port of the "another pc" -- not a remote USB port nor USB Hub.  

Should this not remedy the scenario the next step would be to manually note (i.e backup) the configurations and settings of each Custom Preset you may have, and your Global Settings.

Then, you could try a Global Reset (Power On + FS5 + FS6)  to see if that may remedy any Helix USB Comm Port issue. If still no good, then do the more comprehensive Full Factory Global Reset (Power On + FS5 + FS12). See: HelixHelp.com > Tips > Reset Options for more information. You could also try the Test Mode. However, I do not know if Test Mode interrogates and tests the Helix's USB Comm Port. If neither Reset corrects the USB Comm issue, you'll need to open a Support Ticket with Helix and probably get the unit in for Warranty Service. This would almost certainly result in any Custom Presets being cleared.

As you may know, Line 6's tech support is exceptional! They will get your Helix squared away. However, any Custom Presets you may have are likely to be lost in the process.  Do post back to update how things develop, so all may share in the learning. 

Hi

Had a similar problem. You should not be effected now, but there was a Windows 10 update little more than a week ago made the USB-ports go bananas. It was fixed by an update last week. So, if your extra PC haven't been updated that could be your problem. 

My symptoms was lost my Focusrite sound card, my Helix kept losing connection, my USB bank ID didn't connect and so on...  Reinstalling Helix Edit didn't help...the update did. Win 10 should make this automatic, but you need to be on line. 

//Per

Thanks for the replies everyone, my pc is freshly updated and I did a complete fresh install on all the most recent Helix software a few times with no luck as of when I first posted, I tried plugging into my buddies MacBook today and there was again, no indication that anything was plugged in. I'm thinking I'll need to open a ticket? 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I can't believe I'm that lucky.  I have two different PC's both on Windows 10  connected to two different Helix floor units via USB and have never had a single problem in the three years with either of them connecting.

When it comes to this stuff it's hard to define whether it's the PC, the operating system on the PC, or the Helix.  I'd recommend opening a service ticket with Line 6 and hopefully diagnose where the problem actually is or isn't so you don't waste time troubleshooting the wrong thing.

• 8 months later...
19 minutes ago, Palollemdan said:

My Helix only connects via usb when it is plugged in at mains. I could then update firmware and open edit, I searched for drivers on website but it still is not recognized by my laptop.  Is this how it has to be connected, or is there something I am missing. Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it does in a sense find a possible workable solution to the problem.

What do you mean by "plugged in at mains"? When the XLR outs are connected?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue. Windows 10 PC. PC has no issues. I downloaded line6 update.

installed updater on my PC, rebooted my PC. logged into desktop

Powered on Helix, connected usb, my computer DINGED and detected the USB.

When I launched my updater, it would not detect the helix floor.

I Powered off my helix, powered off my PC.

Powered on/logged into the PC. Powered on helix, connected usb, ran updater .. still did not detect helix.

CLOSED updater.

I removed all my cables to my helix, leaving only power. powered off helix.

I powered it on with just power cable. Connected USB and it detected it on my PC.

I know that seems odd but that is what worked for me.

• 2 months later...

I currently have this issue, have updated windows 10, uninstalled and reinstalled the Updater and the Licenser many times, have unplugged and replugged the helix after shutting it off, rebooting the computer, all sorts of things, can't get the Helix to be recognized by my computer... I have a kemper stage, I can plug it in and it gets recognized in 2 seconds, so i know its not my computer? Little frustrating. Please help.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I too am having the same issues with driver updates after 2.81 release. Followed steps as outlined on Line 6 website. I also troubleshooted process with the steps  similar to what Has been posted by Chrisj1990. What is odd is that the USB driver is recognized within windows10 Device Manager as Line 6 - Helix Floor and also within Windows Control Panel items as Heilx Control Panel yet both HX Editor (2.9) and Editor (1.19) but yet Line 6 software just wont' acknowledge connection within the software.

2020_07_17_11_09_21_Control_Panel_All_Control_Panel_Items.png

2020-07-17 11_11_15-Device Manager.png

Make sure you don't have any other programs open when trying to run Line 6 Updater.  If it still doesn't appear, you can try putting the Helix into an update state: PRESS and HOLD buttons 6 and 12 while you power on the Helix. Once you see a blank screen with "Update Mode", you'll be able to reconnect and re-launch the Line 6 Updater. Otherwise, please log a ticket with our staff at www.Line6.com/support/tickets for further troubleshooting.

And keep all boxes ticked for the drivers, even those you don't use, when reinstalling Edit. That was the solution when my friends Helix was not recognise by his PC.

//Per

• Upvote 1