Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Repurpose Unused Snapshots

taylorbeats

So I set up my Helix to have a preset for each song I play.  Sometimes those songs require snapshots, sometimes it's only one snap.

What to do with the others?  Well I put notes in the scribble strips-chord progression, a notey run, song form etc.

It helps me quite a bit, nice large type and no fumbling with an ipad, etc.

At some point it might be great to have a song view on the larger screen.

• Upvote 2

Gold Dust Woman, for the life of me just can't remember the progressions so a Verse and Chorus button.  Forces me to look down when I hit the switch.

And looking at the signal path constantly is kind of silly hence the Song Notes mode for the screen or add another screen somewhere with the next generation.

My failing memory...might as well get some use out of it and offer a new feature.

helix scribble.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

Good idea if it works for you. I will offer my working method seeing as it worked so well for last 2 x 1hour set gig.

I use an iPad and OnSong, and yes fiddling with the iPad is a right pain. OnSong is set to auto scroll on each song, but you have to start it scrolling and swap to the next song. I use a single patch for the whole gig, mainly playing an acoustic JTV model either fairly straight or chorused but sometimes a strat into amp and for 2 songs the overdrive gets a showing. We are playing Folk Rock. Snapshots are used for the 4 basic sounds and then various effects added when needed such as kinky boost for solo.

What I do is connect Helix to iPad with USB and dedicate the top row switches to controlling OnSong: previous and next song, start scrolling, stop scrolling, page down. Auto scrolling is great but we vary tempo and nothing is worse than getting out of sync and not being able to see what to play next.

The next bit is what really makes it work: in OnSong I set each song to send the Snapshot change midi commands. So as I press next song OnSong switches to the next song in that nights set list and it changes the Helix snapshot which in turn changes the JTV setting. Then all I need to do is press start scrolling in the count in. Then stop scrolling for the “hold on” and humorous interaction with audience.

Absolute minimum control inputs required! Almost as if I had a dedicated tech doing it all for me like the pro’s have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:04 AM, Rewolf48 said:

Good idea if it works for you. I will offer my working method seeing as it worked so well for last 2 x 1hour set gig.

I use an iPad and OnSong, and yes fiddling with the iPad is a right pain. OnSong is set to auto scroll on each song, but you have to start it scrolling and swap to the next song. I use a single patch for the whole gig, mainly playing an acoustic JTV model either fairly straight or chorused but sometimes a strat into amp and for 2 songs the overdrive gets a showing. We are playing Folk Rock. Snapshots are used for the 4 basic sounds and then various effects added when needed such as kinky boost for solo.

What I do is connect Helix to iPad with USB and dedicate the top row switches to controlling OnSong: previous and next song, start scrolling, stop scrolling, page down. Auto scrolling is great but we vary tempo and nothing is worse than getting out of sync and not being able to see what to play next.

The next bit is what really makes it work: in OnSong I set each song to send the Snapshot change midi commands. So as I press next song OnSong switches to the next song in that nights set list and it changes the Helix snapshot which in turn changes the JTV setting. Then all I need to do is press start scrolling in the count in. Then stop scrolling for the “hold on” and humorous interaction with audience.

Absolute minimum control inputs required! Almost as if I had a dedicated tech doing it all for me like the pro’s have.

Wow, that’s impressive as can be! 

I think it would be cool if we could combine snapshots and stomp switches in a row.

I also wish we had an A/B option for each snapshot footswitch. Like this.  That way, if you're Helix is always in the Snap/Preset mode like mine, you could have 8 snapshots for each preset.

I wonder, would it get unwieldy if the preset foot switches also had 2 presets from which you could A/B?

What do you guys think?