Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone use headphone out + bluetooth transmitter = In ear monitors?

khall187

Just wondering if anyone has tried to use the headphone out connected to a bluetooth transmitter like this: 

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Tranismitter

Then, simply pair it up to your Bluetooth headphones and you have a cheap on-stage/rehearsal in ear monitor for yourself? 

Would that work?!?

**EDIT** I found a solution that works for me, see my detailed reply below

Edited by khall187
For anyone wanting the TL/DR

I had that same BT transmitter for awhile and was using it with BT earbuds in my workout room for my TV. Even with movies and whatnot, I could still notice the latency sometimes. It probably wouldn't be viable because of that for guitar.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, phil_m said:

I had that same BT transmitter for awhile and was using it with BT earbuds in my workout room for my TV. Even with movies and whatnot, I could still notice the latency sometimes. It probably wouldn't be viable because of that for guitar.

Dang that makes me sad! Would have been soo easy

15 hours ago, khall187 said:

Cheap meaning affordable without paying extra for overkill. Yes, it does - but again I'm only looking to monitor myself. Ideas appreciated.

Anything wireless is going to be a crap shoot. So many things can factor into wireless, latency, interference, rf signals that can jam or block the path, heck even fluorescent light bulbs can cause static on a wireless setup. If you want to monitor yourself clean, clear, and on time then some high impedance cans would be the best way to go. A good 250 ohm set of beyerdynamics would really sound good. If you absolutely must go wireless try to take some time and prepare the area that you practice in for a wireless signal. shield whatever you can,  hide your cell phone and turn off other electronics in the room. It may help SLIGHTLY with rf interference. But I doubt it will be perfect. There is a cost/benefit to everything man. Wireless is convenient and comfortable. It's also susceptible to latency and rf noise.  It's worth it in some spots, not in others. I recall once about a year and a half ago, I was rehearsing with the guys and suddenly everyone stops and goes "wtf is THAT??" I stopped and played it back and heard ..pop pop pop pop buzzzzzzzzz.  My phone was receiving text messages and the signal was being picked up on the wireless channel.  The point is, depending on your situation wireless may be a god-send. Then again high impedance cans with a really long extension cable might be cleaner. If you were just alone in a room Bluetooth probably wouldn't be that awful. It's when other people are in the room that you might have a problem. Not to mention the wiring in your building could play a role, how close you are to other appliances, even other equipment in your station. Wireless just puts so many variables in the mix. Like so many. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m using a wired Behringer Powerplay P1 for my in ears. Short XLR cables from my Helix to the powerplay which is mounted on my pedalboard. And then a DIY snake with guitar cable and headphones extension cord of approximately 6 meters.

This enables me to monitor my Helix in stereo during rehearsal, use a stereo send from the monitor mixer or receive a mono signal from the monitor mixer and mix it with my own guitar signal when gigging.

I figured that, when using my Helix, I have to use the pedals frequently, so wireless doesn’t add anything. My 6m cable gives me enough walking distance.

OP Here.

Thank you all for the replies.

Against all odds, I went ahead and purchased about 6 or 8 bluetooth transmitters & receivers from Amazon hoping to find a combination that would transmit with minimal delay using the AptX "low latency" profile... I tested each/every combination yielding wildly different results (all items had Aptx profile capability). 

I FOUND A COMBINATION THAT WORKS!

This Transmitter:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DZMWD1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The transmitter is plugged into the "headphone out" of the Helix. Then I have a standard pair of wired headphones plugged into the receiver. I had to use a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter to allow the transmitter to plug into the Helix.

There is still a very slight delay, but not enough to throw me off. I put my wired earbuds in, then put a generic pair of sound reducing cans over my ears when practicing w/ my band in the loud lollipop basement. 

Given the nature of Bluetooth, it's possible that YMMV but I'm tellin you guys.... I LOVE IT! 

• Like 2

Thanks for the research! From the product page:

• The latency of 40ms is still unacceptable for live sound monitoring. Therefore, musicians beware! Bluetooth technology, even with aptX Low Latency, may not suit your needs;

I can deal with 10-20ms delay on a guitar feed, but for voice, it's a showstopper. Glad you're having fun with it!

The first combinations of products I tried were indeed horrible (even though they all supported aptX), but the specific combination I linked above is definitely acceptable. Those two devices just "get along" faster than any other combination I tried. Again, I spent an hour trying all different combinations and indeed NONE of them were close... except the two products I mentioned. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On 4/4/2018 at 12:00 PM, khall187 said:

OP Here.

Against all odds, I went ahead and purchased about 6 or 8 bluetooth transmitters & receivers from Amazon hoping to find a combination that would transmit with minimal delay using the AptX "low latency" profile... I tested each/every combination yielding wildly different results (all items had Aptx profile capability). 

This Transmitter:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DZMWD1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The transmitter is plugged into the "headphone out" of the Helix. Then I have a standard pair of wired headphones plugged into the receiver. I had to use a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter to allow the transmitter to plug into the Helix.

There is still a very slight delay, but not enough to throw me off. I put my wired earbuds in, then put a generic pair of sound reducing cans over my ears when practicing w/ my band in the loud lollipop basement. 

Given the nature of Bluetooth, it's possible that YMMV but I'm tellin you guys.... I LOVE IT! 

I bought these and I will say they work flawsly for my needs.  I do not experience any latency that I notice.  The IEM market needs to respond to the market place for good wireless IEMS with a "sexy" small footprint like they have done in the guitar world.  Thanks khall187 for the research.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 9:00 PM, khall187 said:

OP Here.

Hey there! 

Did you try some of the aptx headphones os Avantree instead of getting a receiver to plug the headphones?

Thanks for the research man, I'm in the same place now!

I'm trying another combination, as I wanted a "Class 1" transmitter capable of further distance, while still being AptX LL. There are many ~$50 ones that look like they're the same build, but this was on a "lightning deal" for $35:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZH47B3/

I thought about the Avantree receiver, but figured I'd try a FiiO because of the good reviews of its sound quality:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM5ZQPF

I'll post how well they work...

Thanks for posting.  The only issue I have is that my PA has a bluetooth channel and the darn transmitter auto joins that instead of my IEM receiver and honestly they do not pair super easily.  Thank for posting updates to this thread.  

On 3/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, jester700 said:

I'm trying another combination, as I wanted a "Class 1" transmitter capable of further distance, while still being AptX LL. There are many ~$50 ones that look like they're the same build, but this was on a "lightning deal" for $35:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZH47B3/

I thought about the Avantree receiver, but figured I'd try a FiiO because of the good reviews of its sound quality:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM5ZQPF

I got my toys. I think the delay with this combo is likely in the 30-40ms range. It bugs me, so I don't think I'll use this for guitar, but I do think it's in the "YMMV" range. It does work great for its intended use - keeping sync with video. It doesn't bug me there (though you can usually adjust sync in modern media player software anyway).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been looking for a combination that worked and for the first time I played with this pair yesterday:

1. Transmitter:  Trond aptX Low Latency
  2. In-ears: MEE Audio M6 Pro (2nd Gen)

I was playing bass and really only had vocals in the ears but I experienced no latency issues.  It might be different playing keys or guitar with these as the only monitors - I haven't tried that yet.  When I experimented at home before the gig there was a perceptible delay but it was very small and it didn't bother me live.  Either that or I was just late...

• 3 months later...

Line6 own a GREAT (and pro) wireless solution for guitar : Relay G10S  on 2.4GHz  /  2-3ms

Only need to reverse transmitter/receiver system to get an excellent ultra low latency iem system !!!  :)

...Mono receiver would be enough for me.

4 hours ago, olivierlgp said:

Line6 own a GREAT (and pro) wireless solution for guitar : Relay G10S  on 2.4GHz  /  2-3ms

Only need to reverse transmitter/receiver system to get an excellent ultra low latency iem system !!!  :)

...Mono receiver would be enough for me.

To get away with selling a mono IEM system they'd have to price it well below what the G10S sells for. Most people are going to want a stereo option, even if they never use. IMO wireless needs to move away from 2.4GHz anyways, as that band is loaded as it is. I can't even use my G30 system live anymore unless we're playing in a basement or something. Every venue I've tried to use it in the last year and half or so, as soon as there's more than 25-30 people in there I get interference like crazy between venue wi fi and all the cell phones.

I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTZNY5Ta-o

and figured for $50 it was worth a shot. Much lower latency than Aptx-LL bluetooth. It actually works well at home in close range, but I can't speak to it in a gig situation. For that I'd probably pony up the $$ for a pro solution. Not the most high fidelity solution for a full mix, and it's mono, and clunky with the unneeded 1/4" plug and no clip, but it's cool to be untethered when practicing. The above caveats regarding 2.4GHz apply. I'd like to see a 5.6GHz version of this, since my cheapo 5.6GHz unit has good range and hasn't given me any interference grief.

In my small rig based on HX Stomp I use headphones out with wireless headset. However it's not good idea for live situation in my case because of e.g. headphones size. For practice it's great due to good sound quality, low latency (under 20ms) and isolation. So in general I'm using Steelseries Arctis 7 headphones (dedicated for gamers) with dedicated transmitter. You can try them.

4 hours ago, qb88 said:

In my small rig based on HX Stomp I use headphones out with wireless headset. However it's not good idea for live situation in my case because of e.g. headphones size. For practice it's great due to good sound quality, low latency (under 20ms) and isolation. So in general I'm using Steelseries Arctis 7 headphones (dedicated for gamers) with dedicated transmitter. You can try them.

Those look good. There are many wireless headphones tested at 

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/connectivity/non-bluetooth-wireless

For latency as well as other things. Most other review sites I've seen don't address latency well, if at all.