Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Monitoring Home to FOH

rjbuchanan

Hello, (my first post).

I'm close to purchasing a Helix. I currently play Tom Anderson guitars (T, S, and LP) through a pedalboard into a Carr Skylark.

I want to move to Helix only. (No guitar amp or pedalboard)

I primarily play at church and at home. At church there are no wedges, everyone uses IEM. (So I don't need any wedge, backline, etc.)

My main concern is how to monitor at home? I would like for it to sound good at home but my primary concern is being able to create tones at home that will sound as good as possible in the church FOH. We have a very professional sound system and full time audio guys.

I've asked one of the Sweetwater reps and he has suggested the Line 6 L2M.

I have read many forums and watched countless videos but I've not found my situation. It seems like most players are using some type of stage monitoring as well. (which I don't need)

It doesn't seem like headphones are the way to go. So I'm primarily looking between studio monitors such as the Yamaha HS, or some form of PA speaker such as the L2M or the Yamaha DBR/DRX.

I hate to ask the same similar question but I'm fairly confused. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This is a tough decision because there are so many variables.  But just to give you the lay of the land.  The thing that's most likely to sound similar to the FOH setup will be powered live PA speakers such as the L2M or Yamaha DBR/DXR.  But your IEMs are likely going to sound closer to a good pair of headphones such as Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm or a set of studio speakers such as the Yamaha HS5 or HS7.  But if you can get your patches to sound good on the powered PA type speakers, they're probably going to sound pretty decent in your IEMs.

Bottom line you can probably do well with any of them, but it may give you more confidence to know what your FOH sound is regardless of what you are hearing in your IEMs.  Just a thought.

I think the best thing to do is play through the system you use at the volume levels you play live and get a patch/es dialed in to your ears. If that's possible. I went up one Saturday and sat out in the congregation and created 3 patches/templates that sounded good to me. A reference point of sorts

I've since created some new patches at home with sennheiser hd600 headphones and a Yamaha DXR10 and have been very happy with how well both translate to FOH PA. The DXR sounds good and very similar to the FOH EV speakers. I use the DXR exclusively to set volume levels between patches (along with a phone dB app), that's been tricky.

You're going to have to play with it and find out what you like by trial and error. I've enjoyed that challenge, GL!

Hi, I'm using one L2T and one L2M together, sound great, quite similar to FOH sound (every speaker is different, so you can't get exactly the same sound). Due to L6-digital connection it's easy to connect and separate between left and right monitor. I use it live and at home for rehearsal. In studio I only use HELIX direct input to mixing console.

HELIX offers a great variety of using it. I have two of them (one as spare) and I learn every day something more....

br

Martin

I play at church through IEM's. I purchased two JBL EON 610s to build my presets on at "live" volume levels. I rarely have to make any adjustments going from home to church live. At the time I found a deal on Amazon for a speaker, stand, and cable for $325, so I bought two. 

I will be buying some high end IEM's soon and I will experiment with building a fresh preset using the high end IEMs to see how well they translate in the PA live. I am hoping they will translate well so that I can build presets at home while the family is asleep. 

Thanks for the insight and help! Sounds like a very good option. Being able to set tones with IEM or headphones seems like a good approach.

I have some pretty good IEM I use. If I can swing it, I may do headphones and the PA speakers. Maybe