Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 cable method doesn’t work on my Mesa Boogie lone star special

Jan-Westerdijk

2 minutes ago, Jan-Westerdijk said:

@phil_m

I did have inserted a FX loop block in my signal chain. But selecting this block doesn’t change the channel but the sound get cut of and the knobs of channel 2  doesn’t react.

How do you have the cables between the HX Effects and your amp? I'm confused as to what you're saying here, exactly. I'm not sure what you mean by "selecting this block doesn’t change the channel"...

Look at atached immage.

This is the block chain i am trying to get to work.
The third is the fxloop block. I have the cables connected as instructed from helix tutorials.
as you can see i have the fx block assigned to an push button when i push to select it doesn’t change the channel.

sorry about my english,  its not my native language

D03CD299-7810-49ED-807B-6B75535BE4F3.jpeg

Cable 1: From your guitar to the guitar input on the Helix.

Cable 2: Your send 3 from the Helix goes to the guitar input of your amp.

Cable 3: From the effects loop send of your amp put that in to return 3 on the Helix.

Cable 4: From the output (left/mono) of the Helix in to the effects loop return of your amp.

this is how attached my cables

1 hour ago, Jan-Westerdijk said:

Look at atached immage.

This is the block chain i am trying to get to work.
The third is the fxloop block. I have the cables connected as instructed from helix tutorials.
as you can see i have the fx block assigned to an push button when i push to select it doesn’t change the channel.

sorry about my english,  its not my native language

D03CD299-7810-49ED-807B-6B75535BE4F3.jpeg

I think I understand now... You need to assign the preamp block to the same switch that you have the FX Loop assigned to, and you need to have it so that when one is turned on the other is turned off. Then when you bypass the FX Loop, the preamp will turn on and you'll be going straight into your amps effects return. The volumes may be very different, so you'll have to adjust the levels in the preamp block to get them where you want them.

Yes i’m afraid that was what i tried to do. Try to change the channel.

But now i know that was wrong. I use a command and switch for that now. That works great 

But when i use the 4cm, the volume and treble, bass etc dont work. Only the output and solo from the fx loop changes the volume. And there’s is a lot of static noise. 

1 hour ago, Jan-Westerdijk said:

Yes i’m afraid that was what i tried to do. Try to change the channel.

But now i know that was wrong. I use a command and switch for that now. That works great 

But when i use the 4cm, the volume and treble, bass etc dont work. Only the output and solo from the fx loop changes the volume. And there’s is a lot of static noise. 

Your tone stack controls with the 4CM. If they're not, it means you're bypassing your amp's preamp somehow. That usually means you have the the FX Loop block turned off.