Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alternate tunings on the fly -can't make it work!

leftyz

Ok, I'm stumped. Just got the Shuriken and I cannot figure out how to make a custom tuning, specifically tuning down a 1/2 step. Tried following the directions in the Pilots guide, saw another thread on here that had a link to a video that's no longer there. Tried looking up any videos on YouTube. Found some for the JTV but this seems to be different. I noticed in another section of the manual it says to use the User settings for custom tuning to make sure the low E string is tuned to D and that the Alternate Tuning knob is set to "model". Ok...totally confused...I can't get it to work. The guitar sounds and plays great besides that!

3 hours ago, Steveclerget said:

If you want a 1/2 down tuning, it's already configurated in tthe variax memory, you just have to select the good position with the alt tuning knob.

You have to be on the model position to work -> the knobs lights are ON.

There is no half step step down tuning preprogrammed into the Shuriken. 

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f2b0158828f020762b/application/pdf/Variax Shuriken Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

Page 13 of the pilot guide will give you a rundown of how to do it on the fly. Alternatively, you could also fire up Workbench and store it to one of the custom tuning banks if your still having issues. 

I called Line 6 support and they told me just to use Workbench to do it...more reliable and easier than doing it on the guitar. Now if only I could get rid of the piezo “plink” on the A string. Trying the fret wrap today...

The thing I don’t get is the sequence of doing custom tunings. Do you set the alt tuning knob to “model” then go into programming mode, set the tuning, audition and then turn the knob to where you want it to save? That’s where I’m getting confused. The manual also says something about if you want to modify a tuning only then move the Alt Tuning knob back and away? 

Guest abonica
3 hours ago, leftyz said:

I called Line 6 support and they told me just to use Workbench to do it...more reliable and easier than doing it on the guitar. Now if only I could get rid of the piezo “plink” on the A string. Trying the fret wrap today...

The thing I don’t get is the sequence of doing custom tunings. Do you set the alt tuning knob to “model” then go into programming mode, set the tuning, audition and then turn the knob to where you want it to save? That’s where I’m getting confused. The manual also says something about if you want to modify a tuning only then move the Alt Tuning knob back and away? 

While Workbench HD is a nice visual method of creating an alternate tuning, if you're still looking to create one from the guitar itself, check out this video on our channel.

I'll try and clarify some of the particulars: First, it's easier to think of the "Model" knob as Banks of presets and the 5-way selector as one of the five presets in that bank. If you want to save a tuning with the preset (aka "Model") then the Tuning knob should be set to "Model." If you want to save the tuning over one of the 10 custom alternate tunings, then you would turn the Tuning Knob to that location. If you're already on the location you want to save when you start the process, for example you want to overwrite "Baritone" and start with the knob on "Baritone," then you simply roll off Baritone to an adjacent location and then back to Baritone to let the system know that is where you want to save. Note that the Standard tuning location cannot be overwritten. To reiterate, the "Model" tuning location is unique to each Model preset (For example, Lester-1 is the Lester model bank with the 5-way in position 1.) I hope this helps.

3 hours ago, leftyz said:

When I’ve done the on fly a few times, I held down the model select button until it blinks. Then I choose my tuning bank (say custom 1). I then proceed to fret and play each string for my tuning (11th fret across all strings in your case). I then audition the tuning and if it’s good store it. 

Also in regards to the plink, also try restringing your Shuriken with 10-52s. The extra tension on the saddles has been reported to help with it. 

9 hours ago, abonica said:

While Workbench HD is a nice visual method of creating an alternate tuning, if you're still looking to create one from the guitar itself, check out this video on our channel.

I'll try and clarify some of the particulars: First, it's easier to think of the "Model" knob as Banks of presets and the 5-way selector as one of the five presets in that bank. If you want to save a tuning with the preset (aka "Model") then the Tuning knob should be set to "Model." If you want to save the tuning over one of the 10 custom alternate tunings, then you would turn the Tuning Knob to that location. If you're already on the location you want to save when you start the process, for example you want to overwrite "Baritone" and start with the knob on "Baritone," then you simply roll off Baritone to an adjacent location and then back to Baritone to let the system know that is where you want to save. Note that the Standard tuning location cannot be overwritten. To reiterate, the "Model" tuning location is unique to each Model preset (For example, Lester-1 is the Lester model bank with the 5-way in position 1.) I hope this helps.

Well, I hate to say this but i think I got a bad one electronics-wise. None of the on board controls do what they are supposed to do in regard to alternate tunings. I've tried dozens of times to follow the videos and the manual to the letter and I just can't make it work. I have yet to have it let me program any alt tunings without Workbench. I even tried flashing the firmware in case there was a glitch somewhere. Didn't work. Tried what the manual said for resetting JUST the alt tunings. Held the model knob in while plugging in the guitar cable -pickup selector in the middle position. It didn't flash red 3 times. It won't even let me change the tuning in Workbench...sooo, I'll be calling my Sweetwater rep in the morning...sucks, I really like the instrument! Hopefully they do something since I just got it...I'd like one that works THAT'S for sure!

10 hours ago, leftyz said:

Well, I hate to say this but i think I got a bad one electronics-wise. None of the on board controls do what they are supposed to do in regard to alternate tunings. I've tried dozens of times to follow the videos and the manual to the letter and I just can't make it work. I have yet to have it let me program any alt tunings without Workbench. I even tried flashing the firmware in case there was a glitch somewhere. Didn't work. Tried what the manual said for resetting JUST the alt tunings. Held the model knob in while plugging in the guitar cable -pickup selector in the middle position. It didn't flash red 3 times. It won't even let me change the tuning in Workbench...sooo, I'll be calling my Sweetwater rep in the morning...sucks, I really like the instrument! Hopefully they do something since I just got it...I'd like one that works THAT'S for sure!

Sweetwater is generally very good about customer service... it's actually borderline creepy, lol. If you're within their 30 day return window, just tell them you want another one. No point in mucking around with a repair if you can just start fresh. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Guest abonica

Yes, Sweetwater has fantastic customer service. Also, you are always welcome to contact our customer service department, they're a great group of guys as well. As for the manual, I am in the process of making an update because the on-board factory tuning reset feature was removed (the "plug in while holding down the model knob" part), if you want to reset the tunings, you have to load them from Workbench HD. If you don't get an exchange from Sweetwater for some reason (if it's new, I wouldn't see why not), then contact our customer service and we'll sort you out. https://line6.com/support/tickets/

1 hour ago, abonica said:

Yes, Sweetwater has fantastic customer service. Also, you are always welcome to contact our customer service department, they're a great group of guys as well. As for the manual, I am in the process of making an update because the on-board factory tuning reset feature was removed (the "plug in while holding down the model knob" part), if you want to reset the tunings, you have to load them from Workbench HD. If you don't get an exchange from Sweetwater for some reason (if it's new, I wouldn't see why not), then contact our customer service and we'll sort you out. https://line6.com/support/tickets/

Yes they do! Got it sorted out with them and send it back for an exchange...and thanks for passing on the info about the reset. I must admit the current manual was a bit confusing but yes, if you changed things then a revised version would be good! Thank you! 

Guest abonica
4 hours ago, leftyz said:

Yes they do! Got it sorted out with them and send it back for an exchange...and thanks for passing on the info about the reset. I must admit the current manual was a bit confusing but yes, if you changed things then a revised version would be good! Thank you! 

Glad you got it sorted out. Let us know how the replacement goes. As for the manual, for now just ignore the onboard tuning reset (p.14 last paragraph).

• 9 months later...

Hi, I just got my Shuriken Variax SR270 yesterday from Lin6.com Shop Factory Refurbished.

I have played Rocksmith 2014 Remastered for about 5000hrs and got this technology to unburden myself from all the re turning the guitar.

My thinking is that I can turn the alt tuning knob to a labeled setting like USER II and if I saved the Open E tuning to that it will instantly be tuned.

So in Workbench HD when I go to move the Open E over to USER II.....  There is no USER II.  BUT there is one on the Shuriken.

How can I change the POSITION names in the Columns to match the Shuriken?  It looks from the title of the box that these labels apply to the James Taylor Variax.

Using v 2.13 of Workbench HD.

Would it be easier for someone to just send me a JTV Alt Tuning Preset knob rather than wait for the app to be reprogrammed?

Let me know if I can change this to match as I guess the work around is gonna be some dodgy pen and paper headache.  Those JTV Alt Tuning Preset Labels on the POT just don't mean anything to me if they don't match

2040153679_ShurikenvsJTVALTTuningPresets.thumb.JPG.c32757775515e602cb2d16f1f4afed87.JPG

On 1/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, badyav said:

Hi, I just got my Shuriken Variax SR270 yesterday from Lin6.com Shop Factory Refurbished.

I have played Rocksmith 2014 Remastered for about 5000hrs and got this technology to unburden myself from all the re turning the guitar.

My thinking is that I can turn the alt tuning knob to a labeled setting like USER II and if I saved the Open E tuning to that it will instantly be tuned.

So in Workbench HD when I go to move the Open E over to USER II.....  There is no USER II.  BUT there is one on the Shuriken.

How can I change the POSITION names in the Columns to match the Shuriken?  It looks from the title of the box that these labels apply to the James Taylor Variax.

Would it be easier for someone to just send me a JTV Alt Tuning Preset knob rather than wait for the app to be reprogrammed?

Let me know if I can change this to match as I guess the work around is gonna be some dodgy pen and paper headache.  Those JTV Alt Tuning Preset Labels on the POT just don't mean anything to me if they don't match

I just recently got a Shuriken SR250 and you are right, it appears that the latest Workbench Software doesn't recognize the Shuriken as a Shuriken but as a JTV. Seems they need to update the app.  I just used the position in the list to figure out which one was User I , User II etc. and applied the tuning I wanted to this position and it works on User II as expected. So for example, I copied Drop D to Alt tuning preset side, then copied back to the position that would be User II on the knob. It works, just won't show up in the editor correctly.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, badyav said:

Guest abonica
On 1/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, badyav said:

"How can I change the POSITION names in the Columns to match the Shuriken? It looks from the title of the box that these labels apply to the James [Tyler] Variax."

– You can't. It's static text in the software. The right column under Guitar Alt Tuning Presets, labeled "PRESET NAME," are dynamic and can be overwritten (except for Standard). When loaded with factory default tunings, this column will match the silkscreen on the knob. So you can refer to the attached screenshot or make your own for reference.

"Using v 2.13 of Workbench HD."

– Workbench HD v2.14 is the latest and the title of the left side of the Manage Tuning Presets window was changed to read "Guitar Alt Tuning Presets"

"Would it be easier for someone to just send me a JTV Alt Tuning Preset knob rather than wait for the app to be reprogrammed?"

– Yes, if you want. That's up to you. I cannot make any guarantee that the software can or will be updated to reflect the knob for each guitar type, but I will investigate the possibility. The POSITION column also never matched the JTV-89/89F for the past ~6 years. In that time, I have not seen this brought up as an issue before.

In summary, the tunings on the left side of that window are what are stored on the guitar. The right side are what are stored on your computer. The left side is in order of what's on the knob after the "Model" label on the knob. Standard cannot be overwritten. Every other slot can be overwritten, regardless of what the silkscreen says. I suppose you could find a good adhesive label and print your own and stick it on the knob. Personally, I prefer to use Helix to control the preset selection and tunings of my Variax guitars. Starting with Helix v2.60, Variax HD preset names appear in Helix however they are saved in Workbench HD for ease of use. I find that other than building custom models in Workbench HD, selecting presets and creating alt tunings from the Helix input block is much easier and faster without having to worry about what silkscreen is on the knob.

Thanks,

Andrew Bonica

Product Owner – Variax

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 12.30.24 AM.png

Another alternate tuning issue I am running into is getting the Workbench HD v2.14 to tune to A426 to study " In My Dreams " by Dokken.  That's pretty flat from standard E but not a full one.  So, I need to be able to make several six string tunings that are in between a step up or down. 

I know the 12 string mode has cents but I didn't see the option for 6 string to down/up tune in smaller increments.  Is this possible with the current version of Workbench HD.

Thanks again for the couple of responses I have received.

A visual metaphor for my remaining expectations of what it is like to get alternate tunings to work. 

You know.  Rocksmith 2014 Remastered only takes one proprietary 1/4 in guitar cable to detect string tuning.  Workbench HD can't.  At all.  As far as I can tell, I cannot just tune, have Workbench HD detect it.  Select a save position.  That is the tech I thought I was buying.  1230.00 bucks vs 50 bucks for Rocksmith.  That is  1180.00 of disappointment.

Things look just like the baby below as soon as I try to use WorkBench HD, Variax, and Rocksmith at the same time.  I understand it is a software conflict. 

If I unplug the Variax connection.  Shut down the software, turn off the Variax, and use only the Rocksmith cable.   It works fine.

I like the Shuriken physically, but the tech built inside is just in my way of relaxing in the evening to jamming along with some tunes.

I am going to request an RMA because I wasn't trying to buy an ordeal.

Guest abonica

I don't know what Rocksmith has to do with Variax. Nowhere in our literature does it promise the behavior you're describing. The Alternate Tuning capabilities of Variax are in semitone increments and are relative to the physical pitch of the strings themselves. The current Variax technology does not contain any automatic tuning capability or ability to change your tuning reference.

• 2 months later...
Guest abonica
On 2/3/2019 at 3:39 PM, abonica said:

"How can I change the POSITION names in the Columns to match the Shuriken? It looks from the title of the box that these labels apply to the James [Tyler] Variax."

– You can't. It's static text in the software. The right column under Guitar Alt Tuning Presets, labeled "PRESET NAME," are dynamic and can be overwritten (except for Standard). When loaded with factory default tunings, this column will match the silkscreen on the knob. So you can refer to the attached screenshot or make your own for reference.

"Using v 2.13 of Workbench HD."

– Workbench HD v2.14 is the latest and the title of the left side of the Manage Tuning Presets window was changed to read "Guitar Alt Tuning Presets"

"Would it be easier for someone to just send me a JTV Alt Tuning Preset knob rather than wait for the app to be reprogrammed?"

– Yes, if you want. That's up to you. I cannot make any guarantee that the software can or will be updated to reflect the knob for each guitar type, but I will investigate the possibility. The POSITION column also never matched the JTV-89/89F for the past ~6 years. In that time, I have not seen this brought up as an issue before.

In summary, the tunings on the left side of that window are what are stored on the guitar. The right side are what are stored on your computer. The left side is in order of what's on the knob after the "Model" label on the knob. Standard cannot be overwritten. Every other slot can be overwritten, regardless of what the silkscreen says. I suppose you could find a good adhesive label and print your own and stick it on the knob. Personally, I prefer to use Helix to control the preset selection and tunings of my Variax guitars. Starting with Helix v2.60, Variax HD preset names appear in Helix however they are saved in Workbench HD for ease of use. I find that other than building custom models in Workbench HD, selecting presets and creating alt tunings from the Helix input block is much easier and faster without having to worry about what silkscreen is on the knob.

Thanks,

Andrew Bonica

Product Owner – Variax

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 12.30.24 AM.png

Update for those who haven’t seen it: Workbench HD v2.15 now: “Enables Alt Tuning Preset Manager "Position" column to dynamically update in order to match connected guitar's tuning knob silkscreen.”

You’re welcome. ;-)