Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Jack cables to use in 4 cable method?

em07189

Hi!

I think i'm going to need and use 3 meters jack cables. I think the resistance/meter is important and also capacitance, righ?

Is the jack cable quality really important in the 4 cable method? What kind  of cables and specifications do i need?

Can you ear the diference between a regular guitar cable from a very good cable ?

3 hours ago, em07189 said:

Hi!

I think i'm going to need and use 3 meters jack cables. I think the resistance/meter is important and also capacitance, righ?

Is the jack cable quality really important in the 4 cable method? What kind  of cables and specifications do i need?

Can you ear the diference between a regular guitar cable from a very good cable ?

"Very good cables" are a marketing invention... and resistance only really becomes an issue if you're trying to pump a signal over very long distances...the 10 feet from Helix to your amp won't matter. Any old 1/4" instrument cable will work just fine. And as far as the sound is concerned, anybody who tells you they can tell the difference between any  two 1/4" cables, is full of $hit. I have cables that are 20 years old...gun to my head, I couldn't distinguish them from one that I bought yesterday. 

9 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

I have cables that are 20 years old...gun to my head, I couldn't distinguish them from one that I bought yesterday. 

mate, the lead in the  solder in those things will kill you at 100 paces,  ditch then for some new $100 ones now! 

More seriously, cruisinon is correct you won't tell any difference but solid metal body plugs are always best for live use. 

Craig 

If you are not doing anything crazy like 100' cables, then don't worry about it. I use LiveWire instrument cables from Guitar Center because they are relatively cheap, readily available, and they will exchange it for free if you have an issue with one. 

Here's a quick tip....

Connect the cable to an ordinary guitar amp with the gain set to mid. Extend the cable and using the unconnected end, flap the entire length of the cable against the floor (as if you were exercising with a thick long workout rope). If you any sound akin to tapping on a microphone, the cable is microphonic and should be discarded. This is not uncommon with cheaply fabricated cables.