Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Single Amp all sounds style preset/snapshots

themetallikid

So, I'm in a 'basic sound' kinda mood lately (normally I run a preset per song), I have a template setup that I think allows for all the blocks I'd need in there.  I'm anticipating some EQ blocks to help keep things even between snapshots or sounds....but I was struggling to find that Amp that would give me that base sound then add some distortion pedals to help boost the amp if I needed it. 

I started with the Placater amp....but had a hard time getting a cleanish sound out of it.  Even with Gain on 0.5, it was a little too gritty for what I'd like. 

out of my 8 snapshots, I'd need 3 lead Snaps, so I'd have room for 5 rhythm sounds, thinking I'd like a Clean, Gritty, Crunch, Boosted and Modern. 

What amps have you used in this manor?  I was thinking the Trainwreck got a lot of posts in that fashion as well. 

I'd start with what you consider to be a good clean sounding amp, and then put pedals in front of it.

Dirty amps often don't sound so hot with pedals in front of them.

I've been using the Lonestar for that a lot lately, I think the Archon and Mark IV also fit the bill, as well as the JC120 and even the Essex 30 (Vox) with the gain (or your volume knob) turned down, and of course the venerable Fender Deluxe or Vib (I've been liking the Vib lately).

Which brings up another point, I also highly recommend using your guitar volume knob to clean up your tone and don't even bother with pedals except for a mid-boost.

Here's a great video showing the range of tones you can get from an amp

Line 6 Helix - Trainwreck Express, Demo by Dom Hawthorn

One of the most neutral amps in the stable, probably because that's what it's always been known for, is the HiWatt.  I've used it on a fairly wide range of genre's and tones because of it's reputation and performance.  It was hugely popular in the 70s and 80s due to it's range of tone and capacity for working with all sorts of pedals so it may be a good base to start with.

I'd suggest the Cartographer. Adjusting the gain levels you can get both very good cleans and distortion tones. Or the Litigator. Both amp sims work well with the guitar volume knob to get cleaner tones, without getting muddy. 

Or I also propose the wonderful Archon clean + an od pedal; I specially love the Timmy (sim) with it. 

Check out 3 sigma audio's Helix presets.

https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/helix-collection/

They have a clean, pushed, crunch, hi-gain, and lead preset for each amp. They could have done a snapshot for each setting like you are trying to do, but they didn't. I'm not suggesting you buy the packs but take a look at the amps used and those will be great candidates for you. To that list I would add the ones mentioned above: Litigator and Cartographer.