Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can someone update my firmware, for a fee?

I have two L3S subs, but no mixer. 

I bought them used, and they do not work well at all.  The problem is clearly in the plate amp's dsp section, as the limiting comes on WAAAAY too soon. (I can't input more than a -12 dB signal!)  

As they are from 2012,  I'm hoping that a FW update might improve things.

I'd be willing to pay someone, who owns an M20d,  a smallish fee to update these for me.  

I figure I could just ship you the amp modules themselves, plus the fee and enough to ship them back to me.   I'm in NY State, so someone fairly close would be best.

Thanks.

Have you opened a support ticket and discussed this plan with Line 6? They may be able to provide a simpler and less costly fix, or perhaps even a different diagnosis.

For instance, how do you know a firmware update will fix things for you? Is it possible that a firmware update involves multiple internal components, and that updating only the amp module will result in different and incompatible versions of firmware running in different components rendering the L3s unusable?

I own an L3s and an M20d so I am a candidate for your offer. If you do want to proceed with this I could help you but I would need a deposit from you for the full replacement cost of my L3s (in addition to the costs you've already.mentioned) in case my L3s ends up being toast because I damaged it during the process.

Seems to me I would need to open up my L3s, replace my existing amp module with yours (not sure how to do that), do the firmware update, swap the modules back again, update my own firmware to ensure compatibility, and put things back together. Lots of opportunity for my sub to get screwed up. If successful in the end I would return your deposit. And 'success' from my perspective means I update the  firmware in your module successfully. It does not mean that the result works on your end.

Still interested?

On March 24, 2018 at 8:39 AM, silverhead said:

I own an L3s and an M20d so I am a candidate for your offer. If you do want to proceed with this I could help you but I would need a deposit from you for the full replacement cost of my L3s (in addition to the costs you've already.mentioned) in case my L3s ends up being toast because I damaged it during the process.

Seems to me I would need to open up my L3s, replace my existing amp module with yours (not sure how to do that), do the firmware update, swap the modules back again, update my own firmware to ensure compatibility, and put things back together. Lots of opportunity for my sub to get screwed up. If successful in the end I would return your deposit. And 'success' from my perspective means I update the  firmware in your module successfully. It does not mean that the result works on your end.

Still interested?

I doubt you'd have to do anything except plug a power cord into my module, connect  your Md20 to it with a link cable, and then double click the FW updater.   The module doesn;t have to be connected to speakers, surely.

As for getting help from line 6,  not a chance. I've called maybe 5- times, speaking with different techs. I can't even get them to tell me if the diesign changed after the first year, or if the modules are really supposed to limit at -10 dB.   I will literally never buy another Line 6 product as long as I live, but in the meantime I have to try to solve this.

So yes I'm still interested!

I guess I'm not sure what exactly you mean by 'module'. Can you post a picture or otherwise describe exactly what this 'module' is? Sounds like you're saying I won't have to touch my L3s - correct? If so then I won't require the deposit and I'm willing to proceed. But again - there's no guarantee that this will resolve anything; in fact it may make things worse if there is other firmware in the L3s, not in the 'module', that needs to be compatible. I have no idea about that.

I'm in Canada so there may also be customs/duties involved in your costs. If you want to discuss further please PM me for shipping details.

The "module" is the plate amp.  AKA "amp module."  It's standard industry terms. if you build or repair such things.

Line 6 is using a stock Hypex plate amp, but they have their own custom DSP front end, to handle the "link" stuff.

I thought about just buying new amps, but that's a bit expensive, with no guarantee I'd like the results.

I'm sending a PM after this, but I have an important question:

---------------------

Can you input a +4 signal into your L3S's, without flooring the limiter?  This is what the specs say, and it's the industry standard, yet I can't get even close to this. They're also supposed to pull about 250 watts at 1/8th power (basically, that's right at their limit, with dance music pumping) yet mine barely pull 100 watts. (Because the limiter kicks in way too soon.)

I'm hoping it had something to do with bad settings in the DSP, for the first year. (Mine are from 2012.)  I've seen other users complain about the same problem, without ever getting a solution even from an authorized repair center.

Again, I can't even get THIS information from the completely useless Line 6 tech support. Neither can either of the two authorized repair centers I talked with.  It's unbelievable.