Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Cab Block Cab 2 Reset When Changing Cab 1

roscoe5

Ugh!!! I just hit a major frustration with Helix Dual Cab blocks resetting Cab 2 to the top of the list (1x12 Lead 80) when I change Cab 1 in HX Edit.   When I basically have everything dialed in to 90% and I just want to jump back and change Cab 1, it resets Cab 2.  Anyone know a way around this? If not, then I guess I'm headed over to IdeaScale.

I'm coming from a couple of years mainly gigging out with Helix through a real tube amp power amp in to just playing at home (work-family-life balance and such).  Right now I'm just jamming along with recorded tracks and Rocksmith PC, and setting up some presets to match the recorded guitars of the tracks.  Of course the golden IR I made of my live rig for home tweaking sounds just like me standing in front of that rig on stage, but it really doesn't sound like most recorded guitar tracks in the songs I am jamming too.

I am getting some great matches with Helix Dual Cabs, Mic combinations, Comp, and EQ, but that dang Cab 2 reset is killing my creative flow!

Well, cruising back through the presets, it seems that most/all with two cabs do not use a Dual Cab block.  They have split the two cabs into tow parallel paths.  It is certainly a workaround that does keep each cab independent, so I guess my issue is resolved.

I wonder if there is any difference in compute resources between two separate parallel cab blocks vs one dual cab block?

What version of HX Edit and Helix firmware are you using?

While we all appreciate everyone posting their potential bugs on the forum, please also make sure you open a ticket with Line 6, too.  While they definitely read these forums, the best way to get these issues logged is if you work directly with their support people so they can reproduce it.

In the meantime, I'll run upstairs and check it on my Helix.  I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in the past on mine, but I'll check it on mine which is now on 2.54.

So I just checked it on my unit, using HX Edit 2.52 with Helix 2.54.

If I choose a dual cab, and I change some options on the first cab, then select the second cab and make some edits, then go back and select the first cab and change what it is, the second cab stays what it was originally at, and it keeps my edits.

If I choose the second cab and make some edits to it, the first cab is not affected.

What exactly are the steps you are making that are giving you frustrating results, and what is the result that is happening?

What does happen to me, and this is working as designed; When I select the new cab, it changes all the settings to the default setup of that cab, and if I go back to the original cab I was using there, all the changes I made are gone.  But, as I noted, this is working as designed.

Man, I hope someday they allow us to create a library of settings for all blocks (IOW, give us a third column in the device column set that let's us see a list of user defined block setups).

I wasn't sure if this was really a problem or if it's as designed.  I've only issued a support tickets for hardware failures).

So I have this preset all setup and saved with a Dual Cab block and my two 4x12 Cali cabs and all mics and settings.  But I decide I want to try a different Cab 1 without changing Cab 2.  If I change Cab 1 to anything else, say a 4x12 1960 T75, Cab 2 resets back to the 1x12 Lead 80.  You can change Cab 2 to different cabs all day long without Cab 1 changing.

I think it's probably per design though since technically it's all one block.

I tried to upload a screenshot, but I cant seem to be able to upload any more pics on the forum, 0.02MB limit?

You guys are reporting exactly opposite results. Must be there's a difference in software or firmware versions, or you're not doing the exact same actions. Are you both doing this on the hardware or with the editor?

FWIW, if it is real, I can't imagine it's by design. An oversight maybe.

It's not a bug. The dual cabs is treated as 1 block in helix. When changing cab 1, you're changing the whole block to a new one.

When you change cab 2, you're changing a parameter in the same block determined by your cab1.

To have helix treat cab 1 and 2 separately, use 2 single cabs in parallel paths. DSP usage is the same (i think)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meiannatee said:

It's not a bug. The dual cabs is treated as 1 block in helix. When changing cab 1, you're changing the whole block to a new one.

When you change cab 2, you're changing a parameter in the same block determined by your cab1.

To have helix treat cab 1 and 2 separately, use 2 single cabs in parallel paths. DSP usage is the same (i think)

Yeah, I agree.  To expect Helix to treat two parts of one block separately is probably unreasonable.  I'll keep em separated :) 

Regardless of the implementation under the hood, I agree that this behavior is pretty annoying, and this isn't the first thread about it either.

Reminds me of "you have to reload all your patches after an update", which they did eventually fix after lots of user feedback.

No, I changed the cab in cab 1.  It didn't affect the parameters of cab 2.

I will try it again tonight, but I'm positive it didn't.  It did reset the parameters of cab 1, so if I changed to a new cab in cab 1, the parameters in cab 1 became the default for that cab, and when I switched back to the originally chosen cab, it had it's default parameters, not the parameters it had before I switched cabs.

Line 6 support is there for both bugs and general help.

I'm using Editor version 2.52 and firmware 2.54 (and driver 1.14 I think, whatever the latest is)

I should add, the only parameters I was changing on cab 1 and cab 2 were the mic and distance.  I'll change the hi and lo cuts, too, next time I test.

And who knows? I could be wrong in what I saw, but I tested it a few times in a few different combinations.