Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects NO SIGNAL . Perfect Signal when unit is off

Kback0409

Just got it in today .... hooked it up and it’s not letting signal go through.  I’ve tried different cables just Incase. Then did a firmware update.  Still not letting signal through.   Btw I’m a huge line6 fan! Started out with the original pod... I’ve still got dl4, m13, M9 and excited to get this HX up and running.  Never had any issues what so ever with line6 . 

FYI, There is a post by Phil here on one of the threads that show resets to use/try when/if the HX/Helix/others won't work right. If you cant get it to work by other feedback here first, then use at your discretion. 

Also, check out this post as well!!!

• 9 months later...

Just finished updating firmware on my HX Effects from 2.60 to 2.71. NOTE: HX Edit and Updater were both updated prior to the firmware update. Plugged unit into my Deluxe and heard no sound through my amp. Put HX in bypass and no sound. Turned HX off and heard guitar through amp. Did complete reset ( F6 +Tap ) and heard guitar through amp. Turned unit off and back on and no sound. Repeat several time with same results. I looked through my settings and couldn't find anything that had changed after the complete reset. 

Went back and installed the 2.70 firmware update and everything works as it should. Anyone else have the same experience? I've read about others having loss of audio but nothing about resetting to get audio and then losing it after restarting unit.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, zanester said:

Just finished updating firmware on my HX Effects from 2.60 to 2.71. NOTE: HX Edit and Updater were both updated prior to the firmware update. Plugged unit into my Deluxe and heard no sound through my amp. Put HX in bypass and no sound. Turned HX off and heard guitar through amp. Did complete reset ( F6 +Tap ) and heard guitar through amp. Turned unit off and back on and no sound. Repeat several time with same results. I looked through my settings and couldn't find anything that had changed after the complete reset. 

Went back and installed the 2.70 firmware update and everything works as it should. Anyone else have the same experience? I've read about others having loss of audio but nothing about resetting to get audio and then losing it after restarting unit.

I think 2.71 was for the HX Stomp only.... this could be why you had the problem.

The problem 

5 hours ago, phil_m said:

No, 2.71 is for all the Helix/HX products.

The problem was for all patches, the reset was the only way to get audio to happen. I'm on guessing the problem has something to do with the outputs because the tuner would still work even if there was no audio out. I contacted support and will update this thread when I hear something.

May be relevant to this thread...I recently acquired an HX effects, and love it so far.  I had 2 odd behaviors after updating to 2.71 immediately after unboxing (it was loaded with 2.50).  I put the init into analog bypass, and got no sound at all, on any patch. Couldn't toggle back out of analog bypass.  The only thing that fixed that was reinstall the firmware.  But the problem that persists is the all four patches in bank 15 have no sound at all...no effected sound, and no guitar-only sound....nothing at all.  All other factory presets are fine.  I've tried other firmware versions, and have reinstalled 2.71 again...same problem with all.  Suggestions?

Tony

I've been contacted by support and supplied HX backup files for my unit with firmware 2.70 and 2.71 pre initialize and post so they could try and duplicate my scenario. Haven't any response as of 1-19-19. Firmware 2.70 is still working great. I'll add any new info as I get it. 

I have an observation regarding HX effects as well as Helix pedals which hasn't been addressed to my knowledge to this point. If Im wrong let me know.

Let's look at my observation through two scenarios. 1. Using several pedals in a stock pedalboard, with all pedals in series. Then 2. using a multi-effect unit, in this case, HX Effects as a stand alone pedalboard, one that offers all the pedals you used in the analog pedalboard ( ie: distortion, delay, modulation, etc.) but making use of the presets and snapshots as a switcher,  allowing creation of groups of effects into presets for songs in programmed banks.

In scenario #1 it's obvious that any group of pedals have to be selected one at a time with the advantage being spontaneity and creativity of the moment. In this scenario adjustments to individual pedals are global, that is if you change the gain or output or eq of a distortion pedal or time of a delay it is applies universally from that point on with whatever combination of pedals you use, until you choose to change it again.

In scenario #2 ( in the HX effects for instance ) let's assume you have created a bank of of four presets, 28 A,B,C,D,  each using an identical overdrive and distortion effect, but making use of different modulations, delays, pitch, and eq settings to make it easy to set up for four specific songs. You have obviously spent hours diligently constructing perfectly balanced groups of effects to play each song. During Song 1 you notice that the gain or eq in the overdrive you've chosen for all four presets is not working. You need more gain, more level and the treble needs to come down. While you are playing the song this is fairly easy to change, so you change it.  However, for the next song you select the next preset,  with different modulations and delays and special effects that are crucial to this new song and the overdrive is back to where it was before the changes you made in Song 1, ( changes that are now REALLY important because without them your playing will suck and everyone will know something is NOT RIGHT ). Compound this with the fact that you are the featured vocalist on this new song and you can't take the time to make the changes necessary to not SUCK and so you forget the words and play BAD NOTES and decide to sell all your pedals and plug your guitar straight into your amp and get the GOD TONES like real men do.

So the snapshot function in HX and Helix helps with this problem, however you are limited to whatever effects are chosen for the particular preset used to create the snapshots. If edits are made to one effect they'll be evident where that effect is used in the snapshots, but they don't apply to the same effect in any other presets. You have to copy and paste to make those changes to those effects in other presets. During a show this is distracting, time consuming and, let's face it, not cool!

SO....what if units like the HX or Helix allowed you to activate a setting in an effect that would cause any other instances of that effect (with that setting checked ) to update and reflect your edits. This way there is no need to copy and paste edits to effects shared in presets that have the universal change setting checked. 

I perform in two different contexts. I do a high tech solo and play in a band. I bought the HX Effects in the hopes of simplifying my setup by using  a compact programmable switching pedal with all the effects I'd need. And with the exception of this programming dilemma I find the HX a great sounding and very functional tool. The basic building blocks for me are the overdrive / distortions that I  program to presets. If I've programmed a show and then find edits are necessary while onstage I either do my best to copy and paste to my other presets or settle for one edited preset that works, and intermittenly stare at my pedal trying to will the edits to my other presets. The best work around is to use my favorite distortion pedals in the send/return loops thus having the ability to make edits universally,  But that compromises my desire to downsize, to carry the ultimate box that's easy to set up without the clutter and threat of cable failure. 

Long winded here I admit and if there is such a setting or technique available that I've missed then red faced I'll be. I'm interested to know if anyone else considers this issue too.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I bought and unboxed a new HX Effects today and I can't get it to work OUT OF THE BOX. It came with firmware 2.71 installed. I have the same problem described above: Signal flows to amp when unit is off, as well as when bypass is activated (tap + mode). When I'm in stomp mode, there's no sound at all. I've tried downgrading to every available firmware and nothing fixes it. This is a really disappointing experience. This thing cost a lot of $ and my eager anticipation has been squashed right out of the box. Any ideas? Should I downgrade my Line 6 Updater? I just opened a ticket but it's very disappointing to see that others have had this problem for months and it is apparently unresolved.

Resolved. Downgraded to 2.6, still didn't work at first, but then went I went to another bank and another preset, all the sudden everything started working correctly, including stomp mode. Have since re-upgraded to 2.71 and all is good. W.T.F.? Off to the races.

What's up with 2.71 not working?  I completely agree with everyone else who had the same issue -- which was -- update firmware sequentially thru all versions, ending finally at 2.71, then all audio stopped passing.  Only when HX was in standby, or completely turned off, would it pass signal.  I have these on both my road boards, and one of my studio boards.  What gives?

At Line 6's request, I've sent them info from my unit.  It's been a week or so since I've heard from them.  They've gone dark.

I would think they'd want to find out what's going on with their product.

• 1 month later...

Hi same thing.

Update to 2.71 ==> no Sound ... I went crazy 'cause I thought it was my mistake..

Downgrade to 2.70 ==> works perfectly  

It looks like the 2.71 is not ok, therefore, why is it not just taken out from the download area or at least having a hint that Helix FX has issues with that 2.71 software version?

By the way, just for support as I was also looking for "how to downgade": I just did that through Line6 Updater, download the software from the page (2.70), run Line6 Updater, chose the software and that's it ...very user friendly!!!

1 hour ago, janman01 said:

Hi same thing.

Update to 2.71 ==> no Sound ... I went crazy 'cause I thought it was my mistake..

Downgrade to 2.70 ==> works perfectly  

It looks like the 2.71 is not ok, therefore, why is it not just taken out from the download area or at least having a hint that Helix FX has issues with that 2.71 software version?

By the way, just for support as I was also looking for "how to downgade": I just did that through Line6 Updater, download the software from the page (2.70), run Line6 Updater, chose the software and that's it ...very user friendly!!!

Not sure really what the issue with 2.71 and some units... I’ve had 2.71 installed on my HX Effects for quite a long time now, and I’ve not had any issues.

• 1 year later...