Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Workbench

After years away started using Variax again. Had to download Work Bench old version not the HD. I've hit the JAVA wall. It will not install. Java Envoiromental blah blah. I have uninstalled Java and Workbench and reinstalled and still no joy. Which Java do I need as 1.75 Workbench will load load with the recommended Java Runtime Environment 1.6. Any help please?

Side note. Sick to death of the whole " Aint got the new version?" Tough attitude. Line 6 are obligated to offer support. It's how they sell it. My head it done today on this issue....

I'm baffled.... 

I use an older Variax 300, an HD500, and both my computers (a desktop and a laptop) are Windows 10. I have no problems with Monkey, Workbench, and HD Edit. Everything does what it is suppose to, with the lowest level of Variax ever created.

Mate, it’s something to do with Java. Also Line 6 not updating software. I’ve given up. Absolute disgrace. We’re not talking about ancient, but a product which is still in use. I have a Axe Fx 2 regular updates, sometimes too many! Was looking at Tyler Variax and Helix but they can shove it! It’s gonna be sold. I’m no slouch on IT and I have deleted, reinstalled, my laptop is exhausted! Cheers mate. If there was a link to bypassing the Java issue. They should at least inform us. Cheers though mate. At least you tried.

I just checked and both my Desktop and Laptop have an old Sun Java installed - 6.0.200... 

I used to use the JAVA libraries for development, but haven't touched them in years. I don't know if those are what are making my Workbench/Variax run fine or not, but I'm not removing them just in case they are - LOL! 

I attempted to install the Variax Workbench v1.75 on a clean Windows 10 64-bit OS computer.  The Line 6 installer encountered a problem downloading the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).  The problem is the Line 6 installer tries to download the 1.6.0 Java Runtime Environment Installer (32-bit) [Java version 6] from a URL location that no longer exists (the location is hard-coded in the installer).  Since that location no longer exists, the Java download fails.

The Variax Workbench installer WILL complete, but when you then attempt to launch Variax Workbench 1.75 you receive the "Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0" error mesage.

Since the time the Variax Workbench software v1.75 was released (which uses Java 6), there have been releases of Java 7 and Java 8.  Java 8 is the current version.

HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM -- DOWNLOAD THE MOST CURRENT JAVA 32-BIT "OFFLINE" VERSION

I WAS able to get the Variax Workbench v1.75 to work by separately downloading and installing the most current Java Runtime Environment, Version 8. Update 161.

It appears that versions of the Java Runtime Environment are backward compatible.

Here is the link for the current version of Java [Java Version 8 Update 161]: Java Version 8 Download Webpage

You want to download the 32-BIT OFFLINE version (there are 32- and 64-bit versions).  

Under the "WINDOWS" section, you want to download the "WINDOWS OFFLINE", filesize 61.35 MB .exe file.

See the attached photo.

Here is the file direct download link: Direct Link to the 32-Bit Windows version

The exact name of the file downloaded is:  jre-8u161-windows-i586.exe

When you install Java, the installer finishes by launching your default web browser.  Don't worry if that fails.  For example, I use Google Chrome as my default browser and it does not support Java at all.  This isn't a problem because it is the Variax Workbench software that uses Java.

After I  installed this current version of Java I was successfully able to launch/run Variax Workbench 1.75

To get Variax Workbench 1.75 to work fully, you will also need to download:

-- Line 6 Monkey

-- Variax USB Drivers

[Note: These two items may be installed as part of the Variax Workbench installation]

Java_DL_Webpage.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Quick update on my end. On my Desktop Workbench no longer connects to the Variax (through my HD500). My laptop, which has the same install versions of Line 6 software does connect. Both computer are running JAVA 6.0.10 although on the desktop I also tried version 8 as recommended by MartinHines above... to no avail. 

EDIT TO ADD - The problem was USER ERROR, My Desktop is Connecting Once Again

When opening it was telling me I was almost done and showed my HD500 and my Variax 300. I was trying to connect via the Variax but it was showing offline. When I connected through the HD500 (which is how I connect my Variax to the computer) it worked exactly as it should. 

Many thanks. But that’s what I mean. It’s a lottery. Surely Line 6 are obligated to keep us updated. I mean what I say. Was looking at James Tyler Variax and Helix. But when the new kid in town is released. The old are dropped like a hot stone. No thanks..cheers I’ll do my best with your help, but my Line 6 days are over. Grateful for your efforts and help mate.

14 hours ago, medbad5150 said:

Many thanks. But that’s what I mean. It’s a lottery. Surely Line 6 are obligated to keep us updated.

Well, I don't think my "user error" is hardly the fault of Line 6.... but I get what you are saying.

I'm sure they could update the "workbench installer" to link to a working version of a Java Runtime so people don't have to try and figure this all out on their own. Not to mention... since Workbench does work with Windows 10 they should include it in the Windows 10 search on their own site, not just the Windows 7/8 searches. Those are two very small things that wouldn't take long for them to update. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Line 6 customers shouldn't have to resort to keeping an old computer or performing Java workarounds just to use their trusty old Variax guitars with Workbench.

There are a few things we can do to pressure Line 6 to update Workbench so it works with recent computers and operating systems:

1) open a support ticket here https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html and the more the merrier. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

2) be vocal on these and other forums

3) vote for support in Line 6 Ideascale right here. You'll need to register for Ideascale if you haven't already. (In my opinion, the lack of legacy Variax support shouldn't require an "idea" for submission. But sometimes you gotta approach a problem from all angles.)

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2018 at 8:30 AM, medbad5150 said:

After years away started using Variax again. Had to download Work Bench old version not the HD. I've hit the JAVA wall. It will not install. Java Envoiromental blah blah. I have uninstalled Java and Workbench and reinstalled and still no joy. Which Java do I need as 1.75 Workbench will load load with the recommended Java Runtime Environment 1.6. Any help please?

Side note. Sick to death of the whole " Aint got the new version?" Tough attitude. Line 6 are obligated to offer support. It's how they sell it. My head it done today on this issue....

install Java 32 bit

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I was having trouble getting this to work, so i finally created a dedicated Windows7 Virtual Machine dedicated to just this - using VMWare Fusion. It took some messing around with it, and after giving up a few times, I _DID_ finally get this to work! So I guess I'll just keep this version of the VM around forever and ever.

So I'm just letting you know that it IS still possible to get this to work.

Edit: I did have to use the 32-bit JRE installation separately.

• 2 months later...

Thanks MartinHines!

I am a software developer who recently started managing a Shuriken with Workbench HD decided to connect my Variax Acoustic 700 to update it's ancient BIOS.  I was more than a bit surprised that the USB cable that came with the Shuriken worked but Workbench HD did not.  I get that modeling technology has improved since then, but I'm still quite fond of my 20 year old guitar that models 70-90 year old guitars and I'm not getting rid of it.  Software support for these things is an easy win; be proud, start calling it "Vintage" instead of "Legacy", and support it.  I do digress though...

Here are
some of my personal observations after setting up Variax Workbench 1.75 on a brand new Alienware laptop with Windows 11:

1. The Java8 install will make itself the default Java for your system.  Java is up to version 17 currently and I have other tools that will not work with Java8 so I had to fench it off.  I suggest doing the following after the 32-bit Oracle Java 8 install:

- Remove Java8 from your path: hit the Windows key, start typing "env", and choose "Edit the system Environment Variables" when it appears, click the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom, i the "System Variables" section at the bottom double click "Path", single click the line that says "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath", and click "Delete".  Click "OK" and then "OK" again to accept the change.

- Now that Java8 isn't in your PATH, you need to give Variax Workbench a way to find it: Hold down the Windows key and hit "E" to open Windows Explorer, navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath" directory, highlight all three files in that directory, hit Control-C.  The navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Line6\Variax Workbench" directory, and hit Control-V.  You may run into permission issues, if you do find a friend has knowledge of such things.  If you succeed, Variax Workbench will use these shortcuts to find Java8 and you should now be able to start Variax Workbench.  

2. Disable the Java8 Auto-update Check, this thing will nag you to death.  Hit the Windows key, start typing "java", and choose "Configure Java" when it appears.  When the Java Control Panel appears, click the Update tab, and uncheck "Check for Updates Automatically", and confirm that you never want it to check.

3. I did not try newer versions of Oracle's OpenJDK/JRE but I did try Adopt OpenJDK11 64-bit, Adopt OpenJDK11 32-bit, and Adopt OpenJDK8 32-bit.  In the sufficient but limited time I spent playing with it all of these resulted in the "Java 1.6 Required" and the page for a download opening in a web browser.  Perhaps one of the newer Oracle  (paid or the free OpenJRE) distributions or one of the bazillion other open Java distributions would work; dunno, I'm connected and it's time to play now.

I can't provide support for these recommendations, but if something is wrong please let me know as I would like to revise this post.

Cheers!

Skullhamer     

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Well, dangit. I found jre-8u161-windows-i586.exe (current is now 333, so it took a search as well as creating a login for the Oracle Java site). I downloaded it, installed it. Rebooted. Checked that the path (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath) is now in my PATH variable. 

Fresh download of Workbench.  When I try to execute Workbench, it says "Could not find valid Java runtime!" And then a second window that says "Could not init JNILoader!"

I also tried running Workbench in compatibility mode (Vista and Win8), but still no joy.

Memory: 8.00 GB (5.92 GB usable)

Is it possible that the jre-8u161-windows-i586.exe install is 64-bit? That there's a 32-bit somewhere that I didn't find?

On 6/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, NoCoolUserName said:

Well, dangit. I found jre-8u161-windows-i586.exe (current is now 333, so it took a search as well as creating a login for the Oracle Java site). I downloaded it, installed it. Rebooted. Checked that the path (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath) is now in my PATH variable. 

Fresh download of Workbench.  When I try to execute Workbench, it says "Could not find valid Java runtime!" And then a second window that says "Could not init JNILoader!"

I also tried running Workbench in compatibility mode (Vista and Win8), but still no joy.

Memory: 8.00 GB (5.92 GB usable)

Is it possible that the jre-8u161-windows-i586.exe install is 64-bit? That there's a 32-bit somewhere that I didn't find?

It appears the installer tries to determine which version of Java to install (64-bit and/or 32-bit) based on your browser.  I assume you are using a 64-bit browser.

I think the 32-bit version might be installed on your system but not enabled.

On Windows 10, select "Start", Java folder, then "Configure Java".

The "Java Control Panel" should be displayed.

Under the "Java" tab, click the "View" button.

A "Java Runtime Environment Settings" window should be displayed.

Look at the "User" tab..  In my installation, there are two lines, one for the 64-bit (Architecture = X86_64) and one for the 32-bit (Architecture = X86).

Make sure the "Enabled" box is checked for both.

If that doesn't work I would suggest installing an old 32-bit version, like the link I have above (which is also below):

http://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=230540_2f38c3b165be4555a1fa6e98c45e0808

In my case, I installed an older version (a few years ago) and I update regularly.

On my Windows 10 system, I am running Java product 1.8.0_331 (the most current) and I can run the Variax Workbench on my computer.

MartinHines, thanks for taking the time to help!

The install executable I used is the same name & size as the link you just gave.

I have only 1 line in Java Control Panel/Java/View...

Platform: 1.8    
     Product: 1.8.0_161    
     Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_161\bin\javaw.exe        
     Runtime: <blank>

Enabled: true    
     Architecture: x86

From the command prompt:

>java -version
     java version "1.8.0_161"
     Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)
     Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)

So java seems to be in my environment. Why can't Workbench find it? Or use it?

On 7/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, NoCoolUserName said:

So java seems to be in my environment. Why can't Workbench find it? Or use it?

I don't know why your system isn't working.

Perhaps try:

1) Uninstall Variax Workbench

2) Uninstall all Java

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/download-java-64-bit-and-32-bit-for-windows

3) Reinstall both the 32 and 64-bit versions of Java

4) Reinstall Variax workbench.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Windows 11 is supposed to be able to run 32-bit apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, HA!

I found an old Win8 WinBook (tablet) on eBay. Loaded Java (1.8.0_333-b02), which needed Microsoft Visual C++. Downloaded Variax Workbench and viola!

Mind you, the screen is microscopic, and everything looks like it's in 3-point type, but it works! Yay!

Yes, I know it's voilà--it's a musician joke.