Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - Lead Boost

chapmaem

Anyone have any slick tricks for doing a boosted lead channel, when using a hi gain tube amp with lots of gain on the rhythm patch? 

Basically looking for the best way to keep the same basic sound as my rhythm, but boost the crap out of the volume for solos...

E

How about an EQ with a level boost?  While you're at it, you can even set a block for Reverb and Delay - you can switch all on and off by assigning all to one footswitch.  

I have mine set up this way but with no EQ boost but a CC command to my Mesa TC-100 for the Solo Boost function.  

• 5 months later...

I’ve been trying to figure this out as well.i admit I’am new to pedals and effects.So what I’am after is a channel boost that will work just like stepping on a boost pedal that comes with some amps.I have to believe this is possible with my hx effects.so another  words solo boost without loosing distortion when my mission pedal is in the raised position . Maybe it’s a global setting ? I apologize ahead of time for my newb question.

What you are looking for is a clean boost. In this sense clean means taking you're existing tone and just boosting the volume for a solo, fill etc. If you are hitting input of an already distorted amp, there is little headroom so you may not notice much of a volume jump at all ( a good analogy is like trying to add more water to an already saturated sponge, there is nowhere for more water to be absorbed.)  Built - in Amp boosts work after the pre-amp, so you would want a boost after the preamp to do what you want. This could be done in 4 cable method or a separate boost pedal in the amps effects loop controlled by the one of the HX loops. 

Here's the easiest way that I've found... and I suppose it may not always work to NOT alter your tone, but it seems to be a pretty clean boost for me.

If you have your base tone dialed in, and as long as you don't have your amp's channel volume max-ed out, you should be able to simply toggle between two different channel volume levels.

Here's how I did it.  Get your amp model's channel (base) volume where you like it.  Let's say its at "8.2" for example.  If you have an open footswitch slot, you can go into the advanced options menu (three lines icon button at top left next to "save"),

- press "controller assign" knob
- make sure 1st knob (parameter) is set to "Ch Vol"
- change 2nd knob (controller) to the open footswitch slot
- "Type" knob should be "latching"
- "Min Value" should be set to your base level (8.2 in this example)

- "Max Value" set it to something high enough to qualify as your "boost" - lets say "9.4"

- Hit the "home" button to exit the options

Now you should be able to hit that switch to toggle back and forth between your low and high levels.  You can also go one step further by "long-touch"-ing the boost switch and go in to customize the label for the footswitch.  I use "BOOST!"

Obviously, if the channel volume is changing your base tone more than you like, you could try tweaking the "master" control between 2 values instead.

But as others have mentioned, it seems like placing an EQ stomp after the amp and cab and dialing in the level to a good boost level should work as well.

4 hours ago, gbprs1 said:

This is an HX Effects question, not a Helix, so, there are no amp models involved. Another reason why many have have asked for a separate forum, they really are different beasts in many ways.

Which brings us right back to the level parameter on nearly every block possible. Do the same thing... adjust the level on the delay block or the reverb block which should be at the end of the chain and be the cleanest volume boost you can add without effecting your tone.

• Like 1

The four cable method (using HXFX and your amp's effects loop) with an EQ or compressor (or some other cleanish boost) after the preamp of your high gain amp is really the best way to get clean volume increase without changing the sound. Any boosts added before the preamp will only saturate the sound, especially at high gain, and not yield much in the way of a volume boost.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, chapmaem said:

Anyone have any slick tricks for doing a boosted lead channel, when using a hi gain tube amp with lots of gain on the rhythm patch? 

Basically looking for the best way to keep the same basic sound as my rhythm, but boost the crap out of the volume for solos...

E

If you take the same tone and boost it harder, it will not be the same tone anymore. The gain will increase, the low end will become flabby and your solo's will sound thinner in comparison. 

In 1979 a pedal was released that dealt HEAD ON with this very problem. It is not transparent because as stated above, transparent DOES NOT WORK! It rolls the lows off so they don't eat the power... in turn this emphasizes the mids which allow the single notes of a solo to ring through louder, thicker and clearer. Basically.. it makes solo's sound the way the rhythm was sounding. That pedal is the tube screamer and there are two versions of it in the HX Effects. 

That's still talking about boosting the front end: tone shaping. I'm assuming he's running 4cm. And also assuming he wants the exact same tone, only louder:

On 3/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, chapmaem said:

Everything else is going to shape the tone.

For ONLY boosting the volume without CHANGING tone it's extremely simple and requires no eq, comp or boost block of any kind.

1. Pick a block, any block, that sits between the preamp and power amp (in your amps effects loop).

2. Then assign it's level parameter to a pedal and set min max, or assign to snapshots and set it at +1-3db.

3. Done and your tone will be identical to the rhythm tone only louder.

While not always desired this directly and simply addresses the original inquiry.

That being said.... shaping the tone so you cut through vs a pure volume boost is usually more desired, much cleaner, easier to control and will keep your sound guy happy.

Is the tube screamer a good pedal for this? Maybe... there's a reason it's popular. Is it always going to sound good like all the hype? No hype is hype for a reason. The tube screamer is not a one size fits all pedal and doesn't sound good on all amps.

I strongly recommend reading this article, he will cover why the tube screamer is popular and why it's not always desired. Basically you need mid range, a fender style amp has a scooped mid range, the tube screamer works great here... but a marshal style amp will add too much mid and will start to sound dark and squashed. Again... this is subjective, what you find horrible someone else could find great! In the end if you can get your leads to cut through without blowing out ear drums by boosting volume too much you won't be the butt of a guitarists play too loud joke.

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=7115

Thanks to everyone for replying to my question. I am going to try each and everyone of these this weekend as I am to busy during the week.And as stated I am Really just after a boost that doesn't change tone. I also have the tube screamer 808 always on sounds better to me ruining all the time, but still doesn't give the extra dbs i'am looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 6:18 PM, rocketop777 said:

- make sure 1st knob (parameter) is set to "Ch Vol"
- change 2nd knob (controller) to the open footswitch slot
- "Type" knob should be "latching"
- "Min Value" should be set to your base level (8.2 in this example)

- "Max Value" set it to something high enough to qualify as your "boost" - lets say "9.4"

fantastic tip - works for me & saves sending CC message to control my Katana volume ;)

• 3 years later...