Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native Snapshots Midi

briandampsim

I am trying to use Native live. With snapshots it should be pretty straight forward. just need to figure out how to trigger snapshot changes with midi

i see the FX Parameter Snapshot Index but not sure how to control that in Reaper. 

I have a teensy based MIDI controller that i can program to send whateve codes i want, just need a solid plan of what midi codes ill need to send to get a board going. 

thanks gang!

HXN doesn't directly support MIDI control yet (it is planned). But that doesn't mean you can't control snapshots, and you can do it via external MIDI controllers or DAW automation:

• Snapshot control via your DAW automation is fully supported by HXN, and works great (at least in Logic Pro X, which I’m using; it should work in any major DAW). Just follow the instructions on how to do this in the HXN manual. 
  • If you want to control Helix Native using external MIDI controllers in real-time, and if your DAW supports "controller assignments," you can usually simply assign controls to plug-in parameters. Logic Pro X, and Reaper, for example, can do this via a "Learn" function. Most major DAWs support controller assignments.

1 hour ago, soundog said:

HXN doesn't directly support MIDI control yet (it is planned). But that doesn't mean you can't control snapshots, and you can do it via external MIDI controllers or DAW automation:

• Snapshot control via your DAW automation is fully supported by HXN, and works great (at least in Logic Pro X, which I’m using; it should work in any major DAW). Just follow the instructions on how to do this in the HXN manual. 
  • If you want to control Helix Native using external MIDI controllers in real-time, and if your DAW supports "controller assignments," you can usually simply assign controls to plug-in parameters. Logic Pro X, and Reaper, for example, can do this via a "Learn" function. Most major DAWs support controller assignments.

so i figured out how to turn parameters on for snapshot control. 

I see where to select "Snapshot Index" from the FX parameter list. It puts a little sub track below the main track in REAPER. I am assuming I can program this subtrack to automate snapshot changes but not exactly sure how that is actually done. 

I'm not a Reaper user, but that sub track is probably your automation lane for the Snapshot control. Check your Reaper docs or online forums/youtube vids for info on how to automate plug-in parameters in Reaper. Essentially, you would be selecting points in the timeline where the Snapshot Index number changes from one Snapshot number to another. Then when you play your song, HXN should respond to those changes at the right time.

As you learn to automate HXN, it becomes powerful. You can, for example, increase the amp gain or distortion settings as the intensity of a song section increases, or automate a wah pedal position.

I use Ableton and you can control the snapshot index with a Control Change (CC).

The CC values are split up for the different snapshots.

Example: 0-15 will set it to snapshot 1, and then so on so on (I think 16-29 is snapshot 2)...127 is snapshot 8

On 30/3/2561 at 6:18 AM, cruzfolmli said:

I use Ableton and you can control the snapshot index with a Control Change (CC).

The CC values are split up for the different snapshots.

Example: 0-15 will set it to snapshot 1, and then so on so on (I think 16-29 is snapshot 2)...127 is snapshot 8

Could you explain me pls, I cant map snapshot more than 1 switch.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:13 AM, mangaprun2 said:

Could you explain me pls, I cant map snapshot more than 1 switch.

You map it to a midi channel not a switch. So say you map it to channel 24.

Have switch 1 send CC #24 value: 1 then have switch 2 send CC #24 value:127 etc...

On 4/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, briandampsim said:

I actually cant seem to get this to switch the snapshot index. anyone successful?

Yes I use it.

You need to Midi learn the snapshot index to a CC #. For example midi learn or set the snapshot index to CC #24

Send a CC #24 with a value of 127 it will change the snapshot index to 8.

Once you confirm that is working set up another button with the same CC number as above (CC#24) but with a value of 20, it will change the snapshot index to 2 etc...

So it will look like this:

Button A = CC #24 Value: 127

Button B = CC #24 Value: 20

(you will need to make sure your foot controller lets you send a custom CC value and that the CC number is the same for both buttons) If you can't send a custom value the best you will be able to do at the moment is send a 0 (setting it to snapshot 1) and a 127 (setting it to snapshot 8).

• 3 months later...

Heu guys...

Can someone help me in setting reaper to change snapshots in Helix Native?
I am using my HxFx to send the CC messages. I am sending CC69 values 0-7....But as I can see Reaper is receiving the messages, but nothing is happening in Helix Native...

Any help is appreciated!

• 4 months later...

I am able to setup most of what is needed but I'm still having issues with changing Snapshots via my USB controller. I will eventually buy a more suitable controller (as rsvette12 and others have suggested) but I'd like to figure this out on my Axiom 61 keyboard controller if for no other reason than to get better acquainted with all of these elements and how they communicate with one another. The Axiom has 8 little drum pads that might work for choosing 8 different Snapshots but I don't fully understand the mechanics of how this is supposed to happen. I read the part about using a 'Control Change' (CC) of 0-15 for Snapshot 1 and 16-29 for Snapshot #2, and the mention of using midi channel 24, etc. but how does the Helix plugin know what midi channel to respond to when there does not appear to be any way to set it from within the Helix plugin? Or does it just read and respond to all channels by default? Very confusing for a very old rocker who dropped acid in the 60's. I'm kidding ;)

Can anyone expand a little on the comments below from cruzfolmli?  This is all I want for Christmas! Happy New Year to all.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:38 AM, cruzfolmli said:
You map it to a midi channel not a switch. So say you map it to channel 24.

Have switch 1 send CC #24 value: 1 then have switch 2 send CC #24 value:127 etc...

I would assume those 8 pads at the top right send midi signals ?

Try Studio One 3 demo should save you a ton of aggravation

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210050053-I-would-like-to-try-Studio-One-3-before-I-purchase-it-Is-there-a-demo-available- 

Can you show a pic of your controller software for setting up midi not your daw there should be a controller screen/driver for your hardware - would like to see what those settings are for midi values 

If values are setup properly in your controller software before the daw nothing to do in your daw other than learning the snapshot list - the buttons will automatically change the snapshots - the numbers in controller software delegate which button is used for each snapshot which is what you asked above - you dont assign an individual button for each snapshot in daw - only the the main list is setup under learn in daw

Hello again. I am using Logic Pro X and it has a very easy 'Learn' feature which I am able to use with no problem. If possible, my goal would be to learn how to assign a different Snapshot (1-8) to each of the 8 drum pads (or possibly other assignable buttons on this keyboard).  As someone seemed to clarify already these Snapshots don't really want to 'Learn' in the same way that the other features are willing to 'Learn'.  ex: If I go through the proper 'Learn' procedure with the individual Snapshots one at a time in the Helix Native editor window, and try to make it 'Learn' the button on my controller, that button will successfully trigger a Snapshot but not necessarily the right one. If I then press one of the other buttons that I just programmed it will not trigger the Snapshot that I programmed it to but will instead just make the Snapshot go to the next higher number (like from Snapshot 3 to Snapshot 4). Therefore there must be something I am missing in my keyboard programming of general understanding of how this works. In order to dig into it deeper I'd just like to understand what the Helix Native Snapshots are looking for in order to successfully change to the correct Snapshot number. That said, I may never figure this out on this Axiom keyboard because the documentation is terrible and complex midi channel programming is not my strong suit.   Also, I am not aware of any 'controller software' for this unit. I have typically made changes only from within the controller unit itself. Remember that I am using MAC so sometimes there is no driver or software settings to work with like there might be on PC.

Sorry thought you are using reaper - do you have a software that defines midi values for your hardware ? thats how it works here - the snapshot button on your controller is done before the daw - you say it doesnt trigger the right one because the value is done in your controller software not in the daw - thats what was confusing me also - values need to be setup before you do anything in daw - in daw your just getting the list to work - assignments are done in your controller software - you cant do it in the daw

6 posts from the bottom here

This is where each button is setup in my rig kontrol 3 controller software - the values designate which button will change to waht snapshot - maybe you know this but not having any luck - show screenshot of your controller software - maybe you dont  have one ? not familiar with your controller hardware

Notice value 84 thats what defines what the button will do - the value 84 will change for the other buttons which are different snapshot changes - see Russ ref picture you can see those values in his pic

That makes sense. Yes, I am convinced that I must effect the right settings in my controller first but I do not know what those settings are supposed to be for each button in order to communicate the right info to Helix. I read the part about sending a CC of between 0-15 for Snapshot #1, etc. but is it really that simple? Sending a midi CC of 7 (for example) will really do what I am looking for or is there more to this? I might just have to wait until I can get the Rig Kontrol 3 as you suggested as it may be a lot more straight forward. I just haven't found one yet. 

No, I have been searching all over the place to see if there is some software that will allow me to communicate with this controller but there does not appear to be any. I think I will pass on trying to make it work with this unit and wait until I get a suitable controller like the Rig 3, as you suggested to begin with. Don't you just hate it when people don't take your advice the first time! :) Actually I'm just waiting to find the right unit. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Great card thanks much :) send me pm you have it in message I sent you - there is youtube videos that show software where I think you change values outside daw maybe you just need to download software/ driver for your unit - thanks buddy and happy holidays to you

• 1 year later...

Finally!! I was able to change Snapshots in the Helix Native using Program Changes from the Mooer GE300. The solution was to use the ReaLearn plugin in Reaper.

Here's the configuration I used.

I hope this helps someone else. I spend several days researching until finding this.

Midi2.jpg

Midi1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1