Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Usb Hubs

TMacca

The reason as to do with USB architecture and how streaming mode works. USB is a Master/Slave specification that utilizes interrupts to stop other slaves in order for data to be transferred between the computer (master) and the device (slave)...putting a hub in between exacerbates the interruptions of streaming mode. Basically, what will happen is streaming activities like audio and firmware updates can be interrupted fatally when a hub is used. The computer already has a hub built-in to split out more inputs for the bus...splitting one of those again actually puts two hubs between the computer and the device...Additionally, more devices on the bus can introduce more interruption... Especially devices that stream data like live cameras and printers.

You can avoid USB overload by adding a USB PCI/PCI Express card and use it only for recording.  Use the other USB mobo ports for the usual USB stuff.  Since my DAW has PS2 ports I use them for mouse & keyboard - I had to track down an old school PS/2 keyboard & mouse.  When I record I disconnect all nonessential USB stuff.

Tony

• Upvote 1

On 28/03/2018 at 6:17 PM, aoresteen said:

You can avoid USB overload by adding a USB PCI/PCI Express card and use it only for recording.  Use the other USB mobo ports for the usual USB stuff.  Since my DAW has PS2 ports I use them for mouse & keyboard - I had to track down an old school PS/2 keyboard & mouse.  When I record I disconnect all nonessential USB stuff.

Tony

Hi Tony thanks for the reply.

Sounds interesting, out of curiosity which card did you acquire?.

Thanks.

T.