Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Request For Next Firmware

Just so you understand the process ...

The product managers review the product feedback list and catalog the suggestions.  We get a lot of suggestions that fall more towards customizing a product for a single user and we get requests that have a larger number of mentions. The ones with more general interest make it much closer to the top of the list.

record level meters for the tracks would surely be helpful... I use a separate monitor mix for the main PA feed and the main outs for recording because we don't want all the instruments coming thru the main pa or monitors.  I get such a wide variation on the recording signals when i play back that it would be nice to have at least some control over that or at least some way to let us see if we need to boost or reduce signal.  thanx

record level meters for the tracks would surely be helpful... I use a separate monitor mix for the main PA feed and the main outs for recording because we don't want all the instruments coming thru the main pa or monitors.  I get such a wide variation on the recording signals when i play back that it would be nice to have at least some control over that or at least some way to let us see if we need to boost or reduce signal.  thanx

When you have Trim mode selected from the dropdown menu (channel strips are red and the knob adjusts the trim level) the meters show the input metering which is the recording level.

When you have Trim mode selected from the dropdown menu (channel strips are red and the knob adjusts the trim level) the meters show the input metering which is the recording level.

On this topic:

Why when the gain is set automatically with auto trim the recorded level is so low? 

It's not a real problem. When I export to the daw I just normalize the tracks.

But it seams the the auto trim it's not taking advantage of all dynamic range available...

Is this right? Is it meant to be? Or is just a safe guard against clipping?

Thanks 

The only way I could see that happening would be if you set the auto trim just hammering on your instrument (which is a bit of a twist on the recommendation) and then play much quieter when it's time to play.  In this case you would likely end up cranking the channel level which would cause what you are experiencing.

I think if you are in setup mode you can see both the trim level in red and the channel level in green.  I would, during sound check, put it in setup mode with everyone playing and despite the fact that you've used the auto-trim feature, double check that you are getting good trim levels and good channel levels.  If your trim levels are barely moving and channel is killing, make some adjustments by bringing up the trim and lowering the channel level.   

The only way I could see that happening would be if you set the auto trim just hammering on your instrument (which is a bit of a twist on the recommendation) and then play much quieter when it's time to play.  In this case you would likely end up cranking the channel level which would cause what you are experiencing.

I think if you are in setup mode you can see both the trim level in red and the channel level in green.  I would, during sound check, put it in setup mode with everyone playing and despite the fact that you've used the auto-trim feature, double check that you are getting good trim levels and good channel levels.  If your trim levels are barely moving and channel is killing, make some adjustments by bringing up the trim and lowering the channel level.   

yah, I do that. Still think the auto-trim function plays to much on the safe side and don't take advantage of the available dynamic range...

Hmm, that's not my experience at all.  The recordings I've done have worked out perfectly.  I will agree though there does seem to be a ton of dynamic range available on the M20d.  I've yet to find a source I can't just plug right into the board and get great results.

Hmm, that's not my experience at all.  The recordings I've done have worked out perfectly.  I will agree though there does seem to be a ton of dynamic range available on the M20d.  I've yet to find a source I can't just plug right into the board and get great results.

Yah!! Please note that I'm not complaining  :P

I also get very good results... I'm just used to push the pre-amps on "normal" mixers a bit more than the auto-trim does on the M20d.

And I can just adjust the trim manually on the M20d anyway :D 

I was just wondering why LIne6 decided to program the auto trim that way, completely out of curiosity. Nothing else.