Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recharageable batteries that actually work

I have been testing the Kentli rechargeable batteries for use in our XD-v70 wireless microphones.  We were throwing away batteries when they got down to 3 hours and it just seemed wasteful.  I was wondering if anyone else has tried these batteries and what their results were.  They are available from Amazon.  These are Lithium-ion batteries that must have a voltage regulator in them to supply the normal 1.5 volts.  I just recharge them when the microphone shows a drop in the amount of time left.  Due to the voltage regulator, I believe that they would provide the full 1.5 volts until they are almost dead.

Any thoughts?

I've recently switched to Eneloop 1900mAH NiMH. I tried a few others but many don't even fit in the battery compartments in the the beltpacks. Bench tests had them running for over eight hours; they've been 100% reliable in show use so far. The battery metering is inevitably less accurate due to the different discharge curve but I'm confident enough in them lasting that that's not a major issue.

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 2:35 PM, andersdg01 said:

I have been testing the Kentli rechargeable batteries for use in our XD-v70 wireless microphones.  We were throwing away batteries when they got down to 3 hours and it just seemed wasteful.  I was wondering if anyone else has tried these batteries and what their results were.  They are available from Amazon.  These are Lithium-ion batteries that must have a voltage regulator in them to supply the normal 1.5 volts.  I just recharge them when the microphone shows a drop in the amount of time left.  Due to the voltage regulator, I believe that they would provide the full 1.5 volts until they are almost dead.

Any thoughts?

How have the Kentli batteries been working for you? I'm considering these for my G50 wireless. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 3:47 AM, Sheriton said:

The battery metering is inevitably less accurate due to the different discharge curve but I'm confident enough in them lasting that that's not a major issue.

I wish the designers would have considered rechargeables and offered the ability to tell the transmitter what type of battery is being used and adjust for it.  My little Tascam field recorder does this so it's obvious it can be done. 

Yeah I wish that too. I've seen plenty of compact cameras in which you can set the battery type too. I imagine it would only need to be a firmware update rather than any hardware changes.

Having said that though, I just use the rechargeables for one show and then recharge them again so whatever the meter says is pretty irrelevant. 3-4 hours use in one go is easy but I wouldn't want to risk them for another 3-4 hours without recharging. I did at one point completely run down a set and note down what the mater said every hour but probably can't lay my hands on that data now!