Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mirror image output on XLR and ¼"?

tekhed

I've spent days searching forums, (re) reading the manual and working on my Helix... can't figure this out.

How can I get an identical output from the XLRs and from the ¼" outs, without using a "null block" (bypassed FX block who's only function is to allow the creation of another output path)?

I've finally gone FR/FR for onstage cabs, so I just want the same sound to come out the XLRs as is coming out the ¼". Not only would this allow cleaner cable runs with our stage layout, but it allows me to use the big volume knob on the Helix to control my stage volume while not affecting the FOH signal.

Am I missing a simple solution?

Many thanks!

By Default Helix's Outputs are routed to the XLR and 1/4" outputs when the Output Block (circle at the end of the signal path) is set to Multi (the Default).

To have Helix's Main Volume Knob only affect either the XLR or the 1/4", Change the Global Settings I/O to the one you want the Main Volume Knob to control. The other will be set to Unity Gain. For instance, the XLR outs will be at Unity and unaffected by the Main Volume Knob, if you change the Global I/O setting for the Main Volume Knob to control the Main 1/4" Outs.

Also, If you are not running stereo the Left/Mono Output of both the XLR main outs or the 1/4" main outs will automatically sum R&L to mono when you only connect a cable to the Left output of that format.

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, tekhed said:

I've finally gone FR/FR for onstage cabs, so I just want the same sound to come out the XLRs as is coming out the ¼". Not only would this allow cleaner cable runs with our stage layout, but it allows me to use the big volume knob on the Helix to control my stage volume while not affecting the FOH signal.

Am I missing a simple solution?

Many thanks!

As mentioned above, the default output setting of 'multi' on the output block sends the same signal out of both the 1/4" and XLR outputs.  But I suspect from your last statements quoted above is what you're talking about is as much signal strength as it is what's in the signal.

It's probably best to understand line levels as they pertain to powered speakers and the mixing boards.  In general powered speakers use LINE level as their default signal.  Many powered speakers come with the option of setting the input to either MIC or LINE level signals, but the MIC level is generally to accommodate people that want to simply plug a microphone directly into the speaker without a mixing board.  Signals that are sent from a non-amplified mixing board to a powered speaker are sent at LINE levels, so that's probably how you should send your signal to the FRFR speaker from the Helix, and that is the default setting for the 1/4" out in global setting outputs.

On the other hand the XLR inputs on a mixing board are generally defaulted to MIC level signals, although this can sometimes be changed on some boards.  The Helix global XLR outputs  is defaulted (I believe) to LINE level signals.  This would be fine if you were to use XLR to go to your FRFR speaker.  But going directly to the board can cause some problems from some boards that aren't equipped to handle that high of a signal through their XLR inputs.  I always set my global XLR output to MIC level as that is what mixing boards normally expect.  As mentioned above you can also set the Volume Knob Controls parameter in the global outputs to 1/4" rather than the default value of 1/4" + XLR.  This means that the Helix Volume knob will only affect the signal level being sent from the 1/4" outputs, and the XLR outputs will always send a full signal as if the volume knob were turned fully to the right.  This isn't a problem when going to a mixing board because the first thing that gets adjusted on the mixing board is the gain or trim knob on the mixing board's preamp to adjust that input to be consistent with all other XLR inputs on the board in process known as "gain staging".  With your global settings as specified above you'll be able to freely adjust the volume level of your stage FRFRs connected to your 1/4" outputs while not affecting the XLR signals going to the board and driving the sound man crazy with the changes. to his inputs.

Thank you (all) for such quick and helpful replies. I was literally sitting on the stage changing my output configuration right up until doors opened, but I got it all working properly and all is right in the world. Thanks again!