Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Microphone set up

Kidwags

Is there someone who can give me a step by step run down of how to set up my SM58 to the Helix Floor. I can't find any information on this topic. Yet, I see on Youtube many videos but, No installation instructions on settings. I have my SM58 connected but, No sound. What are the proper settings I am not following? Thank You

Nothing to it really, especially with a SM57 since it doesn't require phantom power which has to be setup up in global settings.

The most important thing is don't plug and unplug the mic while the unit is on as it can cause an electrical surge that might affect your microphone port.  Just plug the mic into the Mic input and turn on the unit.  On a blank preset select the input block and change it from 'Multi' to 'Mic'.  From there I normally add a Studio Tube Pre from the Preamps and whatever else you want in the signal chain.  It outputs in the same was as any other input device.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I too have bought a Shure SM58 and connected to Helix floor with no (apparent) output...

So I tweaked a little with Mic Gain in global settings and raising it I finally hear the mic.

Anyway I had to put 45dB in Mic Gain which seems a bit high to myself...

I tried using guitar+vocals template patch in the Helix Floor....  but maybe is there a better way to have mic output at decent level without pushing the global mic gain so high? Maybe using some blocks ?

(I'm quite new to Helix floor, so I 'd need a bit of help :) )

FWIW I use several microphones with my audio interface, and the SM58 had to be turned up the most. I got a Cloudlifter CL-1 for a ribbon mic, but tried it out with the SM58 and it makes a big difference with that as well. The CL-1 is a phantom-powered FET preamp with 25 dB of gain, and also reduces loading with dynamic mics. However, if you can get enough gain out of the Helix, the CL-1 probably overkill because it costs $150. 

• 5 months later...