Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 with small amp

Hi guys

I am really interessted in getting a JTV 59. The only reason i havent bought one yet is that i play through a very cheap setup. I am not sure if it will sound halfway decent enough to justify a buy. I have a Blackstar HT-1R, unfortunately not enough money to upgrade the amp. Now my questions is, will the accoustic modelling sound good through this amp? Doses anybody has experience palying a Variax throug a small cheap amp?

Thanks

The Variax acoustic models sound better  -- in my opinion --  through an acoustic amp or another type of amplifier with a more flat range & flat response than a conventional guitar amplifier. Some players use a keyboard amp, which also has a broader response than a guitar amp. Others like to play straight into a mixer and PA or HiFi stereo amplifier.

19 hours ago, scrapy said:

Hi guys

I am really interessted in getting a JTV 59. The only reason i havent bought one yet is that i play through a very cheap setup. I am not sure if it will sound halfway decent enough to justify a buy. I have a Blackstar HT-1R, unfortunately not enough money to upgrade the amp. Now my questions is, will the accoustic modelling sound good through this amp? 

Thanks

An absolute and unequivocal "no"... electric guitar amps have a very narrow frequency response, far too narrow to reproduce convincing acoustic tones. If you were to plug an actual acoustic guitar through that amp, or any other electric guitar amp for that matter, it's gonna sound terrible,  essentially like a clean electric...but an anemic one. An FRFR speaker is a necessity if your primary reason for getting the Variax is the acoustic models. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, scrapy said:

Doses anybody has experience palying a Variax throug a small cheap amp?

As other forum goers have mentioned, running Variax acoustic through a traditional combo amp will not provide quality results. If you are looking for a cheap combo amp that does both great acoustic and electric tones check out the Spider V series. Spider V amps have a traditional guitar speaker along with a high frequency tweeter. The combination of the the guitar speaker and tweeter means you can plug in an acoustic guitar and expect good results. This also makes Spider V great for audio playback and providing a full range to get the most out of the amp models in Spider V. There are even acoustic presets to get you started.