Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah activation on HD 500x

janlukemam1

Hi guys, I'm looking to find a way to activate wah just pushing the switch under the exp pedal (like in Boss Gt* pedalboards).
By now, the only way I found, is to set wah on one of the switch, click on it and then go back to the exp pedal: too much time wasted!
Anyone knows a faster way to set it?

Thanks a lot, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 2:04 AM, panaman said:

what if you have an exp2 external pedal additionally, how would that work?

The internal pedal becomes fixed to "exp1" and the external pedal becomes fixed to "exp2" - it doesn't add a third expression. You still only get two pedals, but they can both be active at the same time. 

There is no limit to what you assign the EXP1, EXP2 and TOE to... but in a traditional VOLUME/WAH setup it could work like this.

• The external pedal (exp2) can be assigned to the volume block
  • The TOE switch can activate the WAH
  • The internal pedal (exp1) can be assigned to control the WAH

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an HD500X myself, upgraded from a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus. The Floor Pod Plus  does just as you described. Expression pedal is volume by default. By pushing it forward, you activate the WAH. The only way I have found, so far on the HD500X, is just as you have described, assigning WAH to a footswitch, tapping FS to activate, then using the pedal.

I keep feeling we have GOT to be missing something though. I can't see Line 6 building something as awesome as the HD500X, and making it harder to simply use a WAH and a volume pedal. That would make the obsolete Floor Pod Plus almost better to use. 

3 minutes ago, tooroberts said:

I just got an HD500X myself, upgraded from a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus. The Floor Pod Plus  does just as you described. Expression pedal is volume by default. By pushing it forward, you activate the WAH. The only way I have found, so far on the HD500X, is just as you have described, assigning WAH to a footswitch, tapping FS to activate, then using the pedal.

I keep feeling we have GOT to be missing something though. I can't see Line 6 building something as awesome as the HD500X, and making it harder to simply use a WAH and a volume pedal. That would make the obsolete Floor Pod Plus almost better to use. 

You are missing something. The toe switch on the HD500X toggles the on-board pedal between EXP1 and EXP2. You typically would assign Volume to one and Wah to the other and have each of those blocks set to by bypassed with the Expression Toe Switch.

I have set the volume to one and wah to the second. However, it would not work right. It required having to turn the WAH on with a footswitch, then I could use the EXP pedal to play the WAH. 

At any rate, I just found this below that shows how to set it up the way I prefer. It sets the volume pedal as a control of the output of the amp, not as a block in the pedal chain. 

On 2/4/2018 at 3:22 AM, codamedia said:

Easy, set the wah to activate using the TOE switch... then make sure the WAH is adjusted using EXP 2

I set my volume pedal up for EXP 1, active the WAH with the TOE switch and control the wah with EXP 2. Works like a charm! 

Thanks a lot! :)

19 hours ago, hurghanico said:

when connecting a 2nd expression pedal to the POD the onboard pedal becomes EXP1 and the external pedal becomes EXP2, and it is like this for a logical reason..

All about HD500/X

new forum!

And as usual, a very clear and logical answer. But the real reason I'm commenting is "All about HD500X". Very impressive... I'll be visiting there often. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 2:37 PM, tooroberts said:

I can't see Line 6 building something as awesome as the HD500X, and making it harder to simply use a WAH and a volume pedal.

The difference between a Floor Pod and an HD500 is that the exp pedal and toe switch are not "fixed" to anything on the HD500. You can assign these to anything you want making it extremely flexible. More options can make it more difficult to figure out at the beginning, but it is worth the effort. 

What you are trying to do is possible... and it does work flawlessly. 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, tooroberts said:

It required having to turn the WAH on with a footswitch, then I could use the EXP pedal to play the WAH. 

Close.... very close. But why assign the WAH to a footswitch. Assign it to the TOE switch that is located under the pedal.