Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Piezo blend tone

steelstringer

I recently bought a Martin acoustic IR from 3 Sigma in hopes of creating a patch that blends an acoustic sound with a clean electric tone (top path is the acoustic ir, and the bottom path is a clean Lonestar). I’m using a Carvin electric guitar. 

I was thinking of the tones that Alex Lifeson and John Petrucci get using piezo equipped guitars. I threw a patch together quickly, and it sounds pretty cool. Has anyone else tried this approach? 

Now here's a post I like!  Yup - I have a JP15 7 string (has piezo and mag outputs) and use dual paths and it sounds surprisingly like two different guitarists playing (clean) when panned L and R.  I also do a version of this for dist/crunchy tones which is surprisingly good too. Later today/tonight, I'll send you a short clip I recently did and I'll include a fav preset for this approach.  Feel free to send me what you're doing if inclined.  Doug

42 minutes ago, Doug6String said:

Now here's a post I like!  Yup - I have a JP15 7 string (has piezo and mag outputs) and use dual paths and it sounds surprisingly like two different guitarists playing (clean) when panned L and R.  I also do a version of this for dist/crunchy tones which is surprisingly good too. Later today/tonight, I'll send you a short clip I recently did and I'll include a fav preset for this approach.  Feel free to send me what you're doing if inclined.  Doug

Sounds great. I look forward to hearing it. 

I have a Helix patch uploaded to Customtone that creates two paths for my JP15. I use a special cable that comes out of the stereo out of the JP15 and has two 1/4" at the other end which plug into the guitar and Aux in on the Helix. Both paths stay active and I switch between piezo and mags on the guitar. Works and sounds pretty decent. Here's a link:

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/3348728/

I have a Helix patch uploaded to Customtone that creates two paths for my JP15. I use a special cable that comes out of the stereo out of the JP15 and has two 1/4" at the other end which plug into the guitar and Aux in on the Helix. Both paths stay active and I switch between piezo and mags on the guitar. Works and sounds pretty decent. Here's a link

Thanks so much for the patch link.  I have a couple of piezo equipped PRS guitars and I have a set of patches that I use to run the mag pups into the guitar input and the piezo  into the aux jack.  I have patches for clean, crunch, and lead tones that can be combined with the piezo in this setup.  The Helix offers incredivle versatility in this way.

I use a couple of patches with two paths.

One using an acoustic IR, the other an amp sim with overdrive.

I don't have a guitar with piezo's but it still sounds very nice.

I was inspired by some tones of Frank Zappa who might well be the first to do something like this.

I have an AL Signature Les Paul, so I've been blending the two together for a few years now.  Yup...tone is frikkin' amazing.  However I do find that it is better to run two independent paths for most of the presets I build for that.

• Like 1