Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax noise on bass strings

andymguitar

So I have been working with my xt live and variax standard trying to get some decent sounds. When I have any driven sounds I frequently get some strange overtones on the bass strings. When comparing to my Tele there is no problem! I would also say that my tele sounds generally better than all of the variax models I have tried with the different patches I've set up. I haven't really messed with any settings on workbench to be fair, any tips gratefully taken!

• 1 month later...

Matching the piezo volumes, lowering the global output of the piezo to prevent the built in compressor was the key for me.

Another epiphany was the combination of unexpected bodies and pickups.

22 hours ago, davidegirardi said:

Matching the piezo volumes, lowering the global output of the piezo to prevent the built in compressor was the key for me.

Another epiphany was the combination of unexpected bodies and pickups.

It's sounding ok as it's going straight into a PA, but i definitely need to get on to workbench to look at some things. When you say matching the piezo volumes do you mean model to model or individual string outputs for some? Haven't got round to frankenguitars yet..!

I mean the global piezo volume. Then some little tweaking could be needed too but for me the global volume was the difference between "meh" and "this sound like a miked acoustic". Plus 0.11 strings.

8 hours ago, andymguitar said:

When you say matching the piezo volumes do you mean model to model or individual string outputs for some? 

You may find the need to do both. The Strat models tend to be a little anemic on the B and high E strings, while the low end sometimes punches you in the face. I have the low E and A string volumes down in the 50-60% range for Strat models, and the high strings left at 100%. Other models like the LP don't require quite as much tinkering. It varies from model to another, and from Variax to Variax... piezo outputs can be all over the map.

That makes sense. There's a noticeable drop in volume from les paul to tele for example, which you'd expect but isn't very helpful when changing quickly! My bass strings are all pretty much too loud especially on the acoustics.