Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Script Mod Phase sounds hollow / thin?

transmisser

I know it sounds ridiculous, since it is a PHASER, but I remember my MXR Script Phase 90 not making my sound 'hollow' at certain points in the frequency sweep.  If anything, it gave some sort of boost and fattened up my sound.  I don't have it anymore to compare though.  

Anyone have any experience with this model?  I'm using the mono version through my JBL LSR308s.  

The Script Phase in the legacy section is getting me way closer to how I remembered the real thing.  I'd really like to not have to buy another Script Phase 90.

*Update*

I initially had both phasers before the amp block, but I put both of them after and that has been a definite improvement.  Still a little thin on the 'Script Mod Phase', but it does sound better.  The legacy Script Phase is much, much fatter sounding.  Also, I don't have a separate amp and cab block in this patch, so the phasers are also after the cabinet.

I´ve been telling this very same thing to all of the users but nobody seemed to care considering I´m nobody in the music scene. Hahaha. I believe that Phasers are the biggest flaw and source of major dissapointment in the Helix as of nowadays. Ever since the introduction of the Legacy models there has been an improvement... nonetheless I still believe that there´s no real HX Phaser yet... I won´t even mention the quality of the "un"Deluxe Phaser... I´d love to see a Roland Jet Phaser or an EHX Small Stone modeled... Or maybe just fix the Deluxe Phaser to sound better... The Panned Phaser is my go to Phaser... And the Legacy Phaser has to be set at least in the 12 Stage mode to get a nice warm psychodelic vibe... I still have my Boss PH3... And I´m definitely keeping it for good... Takes me away to that special place... Don´t care what everyone says about it being "artificial", "over the top" or plain unusable "sh*t".

So let the good phasing times roll.

My humble two cents on that topic.

40 minutes ago, BAmartin said:

I´ve been telling this very same thing to all of the users but nobody seemed to care considering I´m nobody in the music scene. Hahaha. I believe that Phasers are the biggest flaw and source of major dissapointment in the Helix as of nowadays. Ever since the introduction of the Legacy models there has been an improvement... nonetheless I still believe that there´s no real HX Phaser yet... I won´t even mention the quality of the "un"Deluxe Phaser... I´d love to see a Roland Jet Phaser or an EHX Small Stone modeled... Or maybe just fix the Deluxe Phaser to sound better... The Panned Phaser is my go to Phaser... And the Legacy Phaser has to be set at least in the 12 Stage mode to get a nice warm psychodelic vibe... I still have my Boss PH3... And I´m definitely keeping it for good... Takes me away to that special place... Don´t care what everyone says about it being "artificial", "over the top" or plain unusable "sh*t".

So let the good phasing times roll.

My humble two cents on that topic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I'm just surprised that to me, the legacy stuff sounds better than the newer model. 

Same observations here. I was looking for a phaser on bass. Tried the script mod phase, then the legacy one, and immediately discarded the script mod, which did indeed thin the tone to unacceptable levels.

The addition of the legacy effects was probably one of the best additions since Helix was released.

2 minutes ago, duncann said:

Same observations here. I was looking for a phaser on bass. Tried the script mod phase, then the legacy one, and immediately discarded the script mod, which did indeed thin the tone to unacceptable levels.

The addition of the legacy effects was probably one of the best additions since Helix was released.

It's a huge difference, right???  I was expecting it to be the other way around, but the legacy script slays the script mod phase.  

Would be awesome if L6 could address some of these weak links..

17 minutes ago, transmisser said:

It's a huge difference, right???  I was expecting it to be the other way around, but the legacy script slays the script mod phase.  

Would be awesome if L6 could address some of these weak links..

The weird thing though, is I remember seeing a video a while back (can't remember by who) where the Helix version of the mxr90 was compared to the real thing, and I couldn't hear a difference between the model and the real. So it may be that that's how it's supposed to be. But there is definitely something different about the legacy version. It's more prominent, and at the same time not unpleasing to the ears, unlike the Helix version.

8 minutes ago, duncann said:

The weird thing though, is I remember seeing a video a while back (can't remember by who) where the Helix version of the mxr90 was compared to the real thing, and I couldn't hear a difference between the model and the real. So it may be that that's how it's supposed to be. But there is definitely something different about the legacy version. It's more prominent, and at the same time not unpleasing to the ears, unlike the Helix version.

What I'm hearing with the legacy version is virtually no phase cancellation / hollowing out.  Like I'm getting a nice swirly phaser effect, but for the most part my signal isn't bottoming out into thin city.  If anything, there's some nice volume / mid bump going on with it, which is definitely apart of the sound of the real thing.  It fattens up.

With the newer Script Mod Phase, the sound really thins out at a certain part of the sweep and there's somewhat of an unpleasant high end spike.  I've added eq after it to tame highs . . .  but I don't really remember having to tame any highs with the real deal.  Even if I turn the mix to zero on the newer Helix model, there's a very noticeable difference in my guitar tone when I toggle bypass.  When it's on with mix at 0, my tone is definitely 'shrinking' / 'thinning' out.  It's not too bad, but it's enough for me to write off that model for now.