Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 89 F + Helix LT

hi guys, 

I used to be a hd 500 user for a long time and recently have moved to helix.

The gear that i currently run is JTV 89F -> Helix LT -> DT-25.

I am struggling with a few things now with my set up:

• Firstly the DT25 integration with Helix tech is not that good as it was with HD 500. Is that true or is it just me? For instance you cant seem to switch between the 4 channels of the amp. The sound thats coming out of the amplifier seems to be very hard to dial in as well, as I have to adjust the knobs on the amp it self not the helix unit.
  • What amp model/set up should I use to get a good acoustic sound out of my variax? As soon as I put an amp in the signal chain for an acoustic model it makes it sound very different. I want an amplified sound of the acoustic model without much color on it. Currently I am just using one or compressors which is also not that great of sound when it comes to the variax acoustic models. This set up coming out of my dt25 sound horrible for the acoustic models.
  • A guy at a guitar shop suggested I should look at PAs or Roland Jc 40/120 amps. As they will give the best flat response with the helix doing the modeling and the PA/Amp doing just the basic amplification of the sound. The main reason for getting a dt25 was the compact size and the fact that it was a tube amp that can be used with a drummer in a live setting for a jam. My previous experience with PAs has not been that good as they are very big in size and dont hold that well in front of a drummer. The JC amps, I have no idea of. Any other amps or PAs that anyone would recommend? I dont want to go with line 6 PAs as they have alot of functionality on them that I will never use.

Let me know if anyone is having similar issues and what did you do for it. 

On 4/8/2018 at 9:04 PM, sherimehmood said:

hi guys, 

I used to be a hd 500 user for a long time and recently have moved to helix.

The gear that i currently run is JTV 89F -> Helix LT -> DT-25.

• What amp model/set up should I use to get a good acoustic sound out of my variax? As soon as I put an amp in the signal chain for an acoustic model it makes it sound very different. I want an amplified sound of the acoustic model without much color on it. Currently I am just using one or compressors which is also not that great of sound when it comes to the variax acoustic models. This set up coming out of my dt25 sound horrible for the acoustic models.

Generally speaking you don't want to use an amp model at all with the JTV's acoustic models. One of the mic pre amp models and a compressor is the way to go.  However, your biggest problem is the DT. You're never gonna get a convincing acoustic sound with that amp...or any other "traditional" electric guitar amp, for that matter. FRFR speakers are the only thing that have a wide enough frequency response for acoustic tones. 

i had a rack mount peavy amp that had an on/off button and a volume knob that fed into 4 12" Celestions.

it takes the signal and makes it louder.

if the sound isn't right coming out of the helix, fixing it with an amp seems to be unwise. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly the DT25 integration with Helix tech is not that good as it was with HD 500. Is that true or is it just me? 

No its not just you. 

What amp model/set up should I use to get a good acoustic sound out of my variax?

As Cru suggests, FRFR is a popular way to go here and will sound better because of the frequency responses of the guitar cab versus the acoustic. And dont skimp on what is I believe the most important part of your sound, the speaker. Usually, you will get what you pay for here. 

A guy at a guitar shop suggested I should look at PAs or Roland Jc 40/120 amps. As they will give the best flat response with the helix doing the modeling and the PA/Amp doing just the basic amplification of the sound.

Yes, you could just simply use a P.A. amp/speaker setup with a mixer to balance vocals, acoustics and such. Lots of people go this route too. Its a little more costly depending on size and quality. 

Personally use a Bose L1 II system with Soundcraft mixers.. (I have an analogue one, my colleague has the new wireless digital version)  JTV 59 + JTV 69 + 2 wireless vocal mics + electronic drum kit (real drummer)  and occasionally a bass player too. It suits our style (ie NOT thrash metal! but we have been known to crank up the volume in rehearsal, so, who knows?)  Also use this rig to mic a choir ,  a small mixed voice singing group and small stage plays so the use has justified the price paid in the last 5 years.

Tried playing through an Alto Trouper for a small cafe gig last year and my partner in guitar crime was not happy with the sound from his 69 (he was not using an effects pedal) and I was using a PodXT Live.. 

Try a Bose to see if that's what you were looking for.. and also perhaps some of the cheaper line array type systems that are now on the market... 

..take a friend to listen, and maybe to play so you can listen..