Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is Variax + Helix changing to the wrong models in snap shots?

MarkJarvis

Why is Variax + Helix changing to the wrong models in snap shots? So i painfully went and programmed each 

snap shot with a specific model I want to use..so far great..I go to use them and it seems that touching

tone or volume (not sure which) is causing the models to change in the snap shots..I set Custom -1 

and later its some random instrument like Lester or spank or whatever. i checked Helix editor and 

only assign is model via snap shots (in brackets) and tone and volume all say 'dont force'

If i lock out the tone knob in the editor the models stay put...not sure where this is not working or if its a bug..

I need my tone knob so thats not an option

I was having similar issues and found that if I bring up a patch that does not involve Variax, then plug Variax into Helix via VDI cable, then press the Variax model knob in, then bring up a Variax-involved patch, I have no problems with Helix launching the originally-programmed models when switching through snapshots.

There were no instructions like that in the Helix manual, but for whatever reason this works for me.

I'm having issues too and opened up a ticket a few weeks ago. They told me I wasn't storing snapshots correctly but I was doing exactly what they instructed.

I have a preset that defaults to Snapshot 3 with a Variax model (Acoustic-1). I can switch snapshots to other models jsut fine but when I come back to snapshot-3 it recalls acoustic-5. Really weird.

35 minutes ago, Mturner said:

I'm having issues too and opened up a ticket a few weeks ago. They told me I wasn't storing snapshots correctly but I was doing exactly what they instructed.

I have a preset that defaults to Snapshot 3 with a Variax model (Acoustic-1). I can switch snapshots to other models jsut fine but when I come back to snapshot-3 it recalls acoustic-5. Really weird.

Is it possible that, before leaving Snapshot 3, you had manually changed the Variax model to Acoustic-5? If so, and if your Snapshot mode parameter is set to Recall (rather than Discard) the model change you made manually will be retained in Snapshot 3 when you return to it.

No, this happens every time on this preset.

If that case were true, then setting the guitar model back when I return to the Sanpshot would correct the issue. I tried that and nothing changes. WHen I switch away and come back, the model is wrong.

The other tidbit is that if I look at the Variax model setting on the Helix, it is correct. i.e. the Helix thiks it recalled the right model but the guitar is obviously pulling up the wrong model based on the tones I hear. These two acoustic models are easy to differentiate by sound.

Hmmm.... that suggests an issue with the VDI cable or the Variax firmware. I'd start by testing a different cable (a standard RJ-45 cable will do for a one-time test; don't keep using it) and if that is not the issue I would reinstall the JTV firmware. Use Workbench HD to backup any custom model presets first.

1 minute ago, MarkJarvis said:

uh think we got a bug!

Not sure about that. I expect LOTS more people would be reporting this if it were a bug. This is not happening to me.

It's possible that there's something unique in your presets that is causing this. Try copying a factory preset to a new location and editing it only with respect to the Variax Model selections in Snapshots. If there's still a problem please describe exactly what steps you took so that we can try to reproduce the problem and confirm a bug.

2 hours ago, Mturner said:

No, this happens every time on this preset.

So it's a problem with a specific preset, not all presets? Can you attach your preset here (or upload it to customtone and provide a link) and let me/us test it on our devices?

ok Silverhead..questions for you

Q) You created a patch with snap shots

Q) You added different Guitar models to each snap shot

Q) You tested each snap shot and made sure the model was correct

Q) You then randomly switched snap shots while viewing the Helix LCD (that shows the Variax models assigned)

Q) You repeated the steps above and while switching you did things like touch the tone knob or adjust it

and then reviewed the results to see if the models were still assigned correctly?

FYI latest firmware and Helix/editor

Just to be sure I have just performed all of the above steps/actions on a New Preset. I did the procedures twice - once using the device itself (HX Edit program not running) and again using the editor. I played with the Tone knob as suggested and checked the LCD display appropriately. My Snapshots Edits parameter is set to Recall.

Everything behaves properly in both situations - using the device and using the editor. I find no problems so I think it must be something with your preset(s). Can you attach or point me to a Customtone preset that demonstrates your problem? I'd like to analyze it.

I am running Helix firmware v2.54 and HX Edit v2.52. My JTV-59 is running firmware v2.10; I did not install the latest Variax firmware v2.22 because it applies only to Variax Shuriken guitars and has no impact on JTV-59s.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MarkJarvis said:

From what I can tell this is a design flaw. Line 6 mapped the tone control to model changes

and when you set the model to a snap shot then change the tone the model changes and whats worse

is the snap shot now uses the new model and not the saved one

REALLY SUX

I won't pretend to know what's causing it, but my guess is the problem lies in the guitar... Variax's can turn goofy at the drop of a hat.  Innumerable weird symptoms have cropped up around here over the years... but if it were a design flaw we'd all suffer from it, and everybody with a Helix and a Variax would be screaming from the rooftops...I can fiddle with the tone control all day long and whatever model I have selected stays put unless I change it. I've got several patches that use snapshots to toggle between different models, and I've never seen behavior like that. 

If re-flashing the Variax firmware doesn't help, I'd open a support ticket and see what they tell you.