Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power Cab 112

plumber

A great approach.

However, really expensive. I'd need to try it to see if it's worth the money but other modeler companies are putting out FRFR speakers for $300. If it's just that "amp in the room" feel they're going for, $599 is a bit steep. This could be great for non Helix modelers because it allows IRs and speaker modeling, but considering the expandability that Helix provides with the included cabinets and IRs, I can't justify the cost of this. 

well - i can't see a midi connector on the cab and i wonder why this should be important using the Helix or any other modelling device with build in cab sims/IRs?

As it's not possible to simply switch physical speaker charakteristics, there must be some modelling in the cab or some EQing in the amp/dsp wich means about the same.

But a nice gimmick for a conventional tube top.

Nice, Any pricing yet ?

I like the idea and versatility to plug a real head in that the headrush frfr don't have, I kind of regret they didn't ad the second input to the smaller version too, with separate controls like headrush to plug a mic or mp3 player.

I guess it will come to the price tag for which i may go in the future between this or headrush frfr....

Edit : apparently you can't plug a real head, i read it somwhere, so cannot be used just for real amp cab, shame that would be a killer feature.

found out i think :

Powercab 112—$599.99 US street
Powercab 112 Plus—$799.99 US street

Sorry Line 6, Headrush frfr price still win for me and the use i would have. If you decide to make a simpler version for £300 ish with 2 independent inputs, the would be awesome ! Or add the possibility to plug real amp heads in.

This looks an nice product and looks legit, but having an helix with plenty of cabs and IR, that would be redundant to have again speaker emulations and presets.....

You still need an helix cab simple straight. Make a other model, the 112 straight, no modeling, tru frfr,  3 independent input (input, mic, mp3), no usb out, line6 link why not). You can probably sell it cheaper because less gadgets inside and you would fit the bills of a lot more people, me first, cash in hand.

• Like 1

I think the main concept is to use it with the tweeter off, as an actual guitar cab, not frfr. The 12" alone with the built in variations.

But then they add various options, IR loading and a tweeter etc for massive flexibility. 

I'm happy for Line 6 in that I think this fills a hole in their line of products.  It's not something I would be terribly interested in though as I'm not terribly convinced it would give me an accurate feel for what's coming through the FOH given the difference in design between this and most FOH speakers.  Nor do I really care much about an amp in the room feel.  I could see how it would be very attractive for some users though.

• Upvote 1

Using a list complied from reading the forums, I demoed every FRFR speaker I could find before settling on the rather expensive QSC K10.2.  It might be wrong (and I usually am) but I don't think the masses is going to drop $600 - $800 on the PowerCab.  

7 hours ago, faressadeghiyan said:

A great approach.

However, really expensive. I'd need to try it to see if it's worth the money but other modeler companies are putting out FRFR speakers for $300. If it's just that "amp in the room" feel they're going for, $599 is a bit steep. This could be great for non Helix modelers because it allows IRs and speaker modeling, but considering the expandability that Helix provides with the included cabinets and IRs, I can't justify the cost of this. 

As far as I can tell, $599 won't even get you the IR's... that's the 112 Plus @ $799. But if you're using Helix, the IR loading capability is redundant anyway. Just use them in Helix, run this thing in its "flat mode", and you've accomplished the same thing. 

$599 ain't cheap... but it's less than I paid for my L2T. I'm sure they'll sell a bunch.

14 minutes ago, lungho said:

Using a list complied from reading the forums, I demoed every FRFR speaker I could find before settling on the rather expensive QSC K10.2.  It might be wrong (and I usually am) but I don't think the masses is going to drop $600 - $800 on the PowerCab.  

All the Stagesource stuff is as expensive, if not more...if those things found an audience, I suspect these will too. How much whining do we see from those obsessed with the  "amp in the room" thing? IF this thing does what it claims, all those guys should be out of excuses. 

4 hours ago, olivierJez said:

Edit : apparently you can't plug a real head, i read it somwhere, so cannot be used just for real amp cab, shame that would be a killer feature.

We'll you can't feed it power, but I don't see why you couldn't come out of a head's FX send/preamp out,  and then use the cab sims or IR's. I suspect that would be an attractive option for those guys who don't want to give up their beloved tube amps. 

19 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

As far as I can tell, $599 won't even get you the IR's... that's the 112 Plus @ $799. But if you're using Helix, the IR loading is redundant anyway. Just use them in Helix, run this thing in its "flat mode", and you've accomplished the same thing.

Totally agree ! This is not really a product for Helix users... at least not the non rich ones ! :)

Headrush frfr 112 is £300 has 2 independent inputs, nothing more nothing less than the Helix needs. I would have loved line 6 to have a similar simple option in this amp format that looks nice.

28 minutes ago, specracer986 said:

Is 250w enough for live playing if you're not going to FOH? I've only used my DXR12 with my band. It's 1000w. I keep it at 12 o'clock and the Helix at 10 o'clock. 250 may be enough, but I'm not sure. 

Hard to say... according to the spec sheet it's 250W peak, not RMS. If your drummer's an animal, or the whole band just enjoys trying to set off the seismographs at Cal Tech, it might be a little underpowered...;)

yeah it's a bit pricey but that is pretty on par with what other high quality FRFR cabs are going for. Plus you are getting 6 modeled speakers plus the flat response and raw speaker modes. I do wonder how this will work if I was modeling a bass rig?

I don't see why you could plug a regular amp into this since it seems like it can be used with a Kemper (is that a curse word on this forum?).

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Hard to say... according to the spec sheet it's 250W peak, not RMS. If your drummer's an animal, or the whole band just enjoys trying to set off the seismographs at Cal Tech, it might be a little underpowered...;)

It all depends on how efficient the speaker is.  The 1000 watts from any powered speaker doesn't guarantee that it will be four times louder than the 250 watt unit. 

Were I starting from scratch, buying Helix all over, I'd give these serious thought - flexible, and a nice look for the traditionalists.  But I have my needs met with what I've already got (and may at this time be retired from live), so not for me.

But I hope they get some love....

I personally will be buying a pair. The Headrush unit looks like a rebranded Alto TS212 to me which sounds  The speaker sim option to me seems to be a legit choice over having to run in full FRFR mode, and then when you want to go FRFR for synth or acoustic

3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Our drummer is an animal and the whole band suffers from volume creep. It's a constant problem we're dealing with. We know our days of pretending it's 1970 can't continue so I'm leaning towards giving these cabs a try, just for the hey of it. 

13 hours ago, specracer986 said:

So one of the nice features of this cab, is it gives you another 128 slots for IR's. I don't consider myself an IR nut, but my Helix has been full for quite awhile and there's a few I wanted to try. 

If you helix ir list is full, i think you have to accept it and consider yourself an IR nut :) haha

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, olivierJez said:

If you helix ir list is full, i think you have to accept it and consider yourself an IR nut :) haha

Lol... yes, the grass is always greener. But eventually you're gonna reach a point of diminishing returns. How much "better" can tone get? It can't go on improving indefinitely. Actually, I'll argue that the longer you tweak, the worse things tend to get...especially when your ears start to get tired. As nice as options are, too many can become paralyzing. We've got an insane number of amp/cab combinations as it is, just with the stock ones...add 3rd party IR's, and it becomes almost infinite. If 128 slots isn't enough, you need an intervention ;) ...how many are actually in use regularly, and how often can one possibly need to switch between them? And half the time the differences are so subtle from one to the next, that you'd hardly be able able to tell them apart in a mix. We'd all grow old and die before we work through all possible combinations looking for that one "magic" tone. At some point you have to stop tweaking and play the thing...

I can stop at any time. I choose not to!

Actually I use stock cabs more than IR's. But I have a lot of high quality IR's that I like having available and a lot of third party presets that came with IR's like Freman's, MBritt's and a couple of others. It's actually third party presets that have me looking for more IR room. 

I wonder if they will release more speaker profiles without a modeled mic. I really like that idea for just playing at home with a friend or two and having the amp in the room sound. Wish it had a C Rex model! I know I can add IR's, but they always have a modeled mic as well.  

On 4/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, specracer986 said:

Is 250w enough for live playing if you're not going to FOH? I've only used my DXR12 with my band. It's 1000w. I keep it at 12 o'clock and the Helix at 10 o'clock. 250 may be enough, but I'm not sure. 

SPL is 125dB, which on paper is impressive. I guess we'll find out how loud they are when they get released.

I really have no use for this thing but if it does what they say they'll probably sell a bunch of them.

18 hours ago, salty09 said:

I wonder if they will release more speaker profiles without a modeled mic. I really like that idea for just playing at home with a friend or two and having the amp in the room sound. Wish it had a C Rex model! I know I can add IR's, but they always have a modeled mic as well.  

the solution is simple: use no cab, use no IR but use a parametric EQ instead ;)

There's a proposition here in the subforum, the idea came (as far as i know) from a guy named Chad Boston.

I tried this concept and for me (and my selfmade FRFR amps) it works great. Feels like a real guitar amp and is flexible as hell.

Since this experience, my interest for IRs is drastically lower. But i would appreciate if Line6 would add some "pure cab sims" without mic, without room.

The origin of this idea sems to be here: https://thefriendlygearfreaks.com/threads/outside-the-box-presets-line-6-helix-platform-60-presets-all-amps.5717/

Did'nt try the presets but only the suggested EQ settings with my own presets and some of Glen Delaune and Fremen

Hope it's OK to post it here.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, specracer986 said:

I can stop at any time. I choose not to!

Actually I use stock cabs more than IR's. But I have a lot of high quality IR's that I like having available and a lot of third party presets that came with IR's like Freman's, MBritt's and a couple of others. It's actually third party presets that have me looking for more IR room. 

I agree, I find128 IR slots insufficient for my needs. Reminds me of the days when the first portable mp3 players(think iPod) came out and could host something like a total of 100 tunes(if you bought the deluxe model). I am sure people also commented back then "who could possibly want more than a 100 songs". Well, lots of people actually and capacity grew steadily to accommodate thousands of tunes. I don't consider myself an IR fanatic either. I am not the guy who spends his days auditioning IRs. I do have a few different packs though and find the 128 limit makes auditioning and storing the IRs I want readily available much more of a chore than it needs to be. As I have posted here and on Ideascale in the past I would love to see the Helix allow setlists be designated as either setlists or IR lists (Helix preset and IR files are roughly about the same size). That way you could say have, for example, five setlists and three IR lists(128 slots each). Alternatively I hope the next version of the Helix includes a USB port for a flash drive that allows IRs as well as other data like additional setlists to be stored and input into the Helix.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:22 AM, cruisinon2 said:

We'll you can't feed it power, but I don't see why you couldn't come out of a head's FX send/preamp out,  and then use the cab sims or IR's. I suspect that would be an attractive option for those guys who don't want to give up their beloved tube amps. 

Well, except that a tube amp absolutely positively needs a load (a speaker) connected to its output. No ifs ands or buts about this. Thus, you’d have to bring your regular cab as well as the Power Cab. Not solving anything there. 

Actually I use stock cabs more than IR's

Same here. 

Well, except that a tube amp absolutely positively needs a load (a speaker) connected to its output. No ifs ands or buts about this.

Most do. My H&K GrandMeister 40 Dlx tube amp doesnt need a speaker, and you could also buy a Torpedo "Captor" and run "any" tube amp thru this then...

23 minutes ago, spikey said:

Most do. My H&K GrandMeister 40 Dlx tube amp doesnt need a speaker, and you could also buy a Torpedo "Captor" and run "any" tube amp thru this then...

Ok, I’ll give you that but bringing in yet another device like a Torpedo... nah.  I’m still waiting for a lightweight stereo powered FRFR. 

Then I’m in.