Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stagesource vs. Powercab

Okay so LIne 6 has finally come out with what appears to be a proper match for the Helix.  So my first obvious question ( as should be anyone's) do I need to think about replacing my Stagesource speakers.  How will the new "Powercab" compare to the Stagesource speaker in, say, "guitar mode"?  Is it going to be 'basically' the same thing? 

I don't think this can be answered until there are enough users who have experienced both setups and can compare them. Even if there are manufacturer specs on this point the actual sounds will need to be compared and the question decided by users.

Personally, I would expect the two setups to sound different. First off, the PowerCab has a 12" speaker compared to the Stagesource 10". Also the Stagesource applies different EQ settings to implement its different speaker modes. I think it's unlikely that Line 6 designed the PowerCab to exactly match the Stagesource  Electric Guitar speaker mode EQ.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, killtone66 said:

I've heard both right next to each other.  The Power Cab gives you a more "natural" guitar amp tone.  The tone through Stagesource sounds more smooth and "produced" like a recording.

What were the settings on the StageSource and the PowerCab? Was this the the FR setting on the Stagesource? There is also a 2x12 emulation setting on the L2 series. This is certainly the first side by side I have seen!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding...We were using a variety of settings and just generally playing with the two systems so I can't really refer to any one particular setting but I know the StageSource was set up for optimal guitar tone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have both L3m and L2m and tested it 3 weeks in comparison with a power cab  plus...   If you just look at the E-Guitar sound, the power cab does pretty well in delivering a guitar amps sound (depending which preset and other possibilities you choose). Here the preset of the stagescource is not comparable for me (never used it).

For acoustic sound it's completely different. The high frequencies sound to "hard" for me and there is a lack of bottom or volume (I don't know the exact term in english ..)  it just sounds not natural or dynamic.

My complete impression about the power cab plus you find here: