Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Sync Over L6 LINK

revans

It seems like we will have to use MIDI to sync Helix presets with Powercab presets.

As soon as I can do that with L6 LINK, I will buy one right away.

Will we be able to sync Helix presets with Powercab presets over L6 LINK with some future firmware updates?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We might have to wait for people to get their hands on a Powercab 112 Plus or wait for new firmware, but...

Can someone outline exactly how to configure the Helix to sync Helix presets with Powercab presets, with either MIDI or L6 LINK?

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo around the 6:20 mark in the video, Andy says something about being able to control with the "proprietary L6 link", and the ability to remotely control with MIDI was just for people that are using a modeler that isn't a Line 6 product...

Am I hearing that right?  

Just got mine yesterday.   Sounds so much better than plugging in to a speaker or a board.   I ordered the L6 Link cable and hopefully will get it tomorrow and will (if I don't forget) let you know if it works.    I do have a question:   how do I program a preset on my Helix to select a certain speaker from the Powercab?  In other words, if I have a preset for a song set on my Helix and want the preset to include, say, a V30 or maybe an IR that I've uploaded to the Powercab; how would I do that exactly?  Apologies for the dumb question. 

Second question is, is there a manual for the Powercab Edit app?    The Powercab manual said you can just drag and drop IRs to it, but that didn't work.   Also doesn't tell you how to get the IRs actually to the amp.  I found out that you have to copy the IR on the "Impulse" tab, then paste into the "Presets" tab.   I may be doing this wrong, but this is the only way i could figure out how to use the IRs in my Powercab.   If anyone has better suggestions, I'd love to hear them.   

Thanks!

For now, until a new firmware release supports selecting Powercab presets over L6 LINK, you will need a MIDI cable from the Helix to the Powercab if you want Helix to select Powercab presets.

Thanks!   Hopefully there will be a firmware release soon then.   I know this is a brand new product, so there's always bound to be some issues.  I'm going to mess around with the midi tonight then.  I'm not really very familiar with midi though.  want to have a patch on the Helix and and have a speaker selection on the powercab and whenever i go back to that patch, i'd want that cab to be selected automatically.   that's possible, right?    Forgive my stupid questions  :-)

1 hour ago, tayamaj said:

Thanks!   Hopefully there will be a firmware release soon then.   I know this is a brand new product, so there's always bound to be some issues.  I'm going to mess around with the midi tonight then.  I'm not really very familiar with midi though.  want to have a patch on the Helix and and have a speaker selection on the powercab and whenever i go back to that patch, i'd want that cab to be selected automatically.   that's possible, right?    Forgive my stupid questions  :-)

Haven't seen any instructions or video showing exactly how to configure the Helix to sync Helix presets with Powercab presets using either MIDI or L6 LINK. If you get it working, please share how you did it.

• Upvote 1

I'm about to order my Powercab Plus today, so I guess I'll be picking up a MIDI cable as well. 

--So if I have to use MIDI until the firmware is updated, is there any added benefit to to hooking up my Helix and Powercab via L6 link? As compared to just connecting via 1/4'' or XLR?...

--Also; Is it necessary/beneficial to use a Line 6 L6 cable? Is there any difference between that and a generic AES/EBU cable?

Thanks for all the help guys!

3 minutes ago, Derekjohnb said:

I'm about to order my Powercab Plus today, so I guess I'll be picking up a MIDI cable as well. 

--So if I have to use MIDI until the firmware is updated, is there any added benefit to to hooking up my Helix and Powercab via L6 link? As compared to just connecting via 1/4'' or XLR?...

--Also; Is it necessary/beneficial to use a Line 6 L6 cable? Is there any difference between that and a generic AES/EBU cable?

Thanks for all the help guys!

For now, the one benefit of using the L6 LINK cable is having a digital path from Helix to Powercab and avoiding the extra digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions.

There is no L6 LINK cable per se. Use an AES/EBU cable for L6 LINK.

"Note: A standard XLR mic cable will work for this connection, but the use of an AES/EBU cable is recommended for best results, as this is a digital connection."

http://l6c-acdn.line6.net/data/6/0a06434d41f050904bee355b1/application/pdf/L6 LINK Connectivity Guide for POD HD & DT Amplifiers v2.10 ( Rev A ).pdf

Got another question for those of you with the Helix and the Powercab Plus.  I've connected a midi cable from the Helix to the Powercab, but for the life of me, can't figure out how to assign a switch/switches to bank up and down to select the different speakers on the Powercab.   Any ideas?  I went to the Command Center on the Helix, but now stumped on which "Command" to select.  On  Helix, I figured "Command" > Bank/Prog, "MIDI Ch" > 1, and figured "CC00" should be set to 22.  Not  what "CC032" and "Program" should be set to?   I'm sure I have everything wrong, so any help would be appreciated.   I want to use two switches to use as the bank up and down for the Powercab.   Is any of this possible?

I've attached a pic of where I'm talking about.

Thanks!

IMG_0736.jpg

3 hours ago, tayamaj said:

Got another question for those of you with the Helix and the Powercab Plus.  I've connected a midi cable from the Helix to the Powercab, but for the life of me, can't figure out how to assign a switch/switches to bank up and down to select the different speakers on the Powercab.   Any ideas?  I went to the Command Center on the Helix, but now stumped on which "Command" to select.  On  Helix, I figured "Command" > Bank/Prog, "MIDI Ch" > 1, and figured "CC00" should be set to 22.  Not  what "CC032" and "Program" should be set to?   I'm sure I have everything wrong, so any help would be appreciated.   I want to use two switches to use as the bank up and down for the Powercab.   Is any of this possible?

Helix Instant commands are transmitted automatically when a Helix preset is recalled.

I don't have a Helix in front of me or a Powercab to test with, but it should work something like this.

1. At the Helix, press the Menu button, press the Command Center knob, and use the joystick to select an Instant location.

2. Turn the Command knob and select MIDI CC.

3. Turn the MIDI Ch knob and select Base (1).

4. Turn the CC# knob and select 22. (Selects a Line 6 speaker model.)

5. Turn the Value knob and select a number from 0 to 5. (0:Vintage, 1:Green, 2:Cream, 3:Jarvis, 4:Bayou, 5:Essex)

Thanks!  Anything I need to do after step 5?  Also, this works for saving one speaker to a Helix preset patch, but is there a way to scroll (bank)  through to different speakers if I don’t like the sound of it in a certain room or venue?    

To answer the question about what I was using before.  I was using a QSC.   Sounded good, but some amp models sound processed.   Through the Powercab, they actually sound like an amp

Thanks for the heads up man. I felt the same way about my Alto TS212. My deluxe and other clean amps never felt present no matter what I did. 

22 minutes ago, tayamaj said:

Thanks!  Anything I need to do after step 5?  Also, this works for saving one speaker to a Helix preset patch, but is there a way to scroll (bank)  through to different speakers if I don’t like the sound of it in a certain room or venue?    

After setting up the instant MIDI CC command, just be sure to save your preset.

There are several ways to select different Powercab speaker models within a single Helix patch:

1. Use a MIDI CC command assigned to a different footswitch for each speaker model.

2. Use a MIDI CC command assigned to an expression pedal (or Variax knob) that spans all six speaker model numbers. This might be good for experimentation, but probably not for live performance.

3. Use snapshots to select speaker models. The Value parameter of an instant MIDI CC command is automatically recalled when selecting a snapshot. Select Snapshot 1 and select the desired speaker model number as the Value in the instant MIDI CC command. Select Snapshot 2 and select another desired speaker model number as the Value in the same instant MIDI CC command used in Snapshot 1. Repeat for each additional snapshot and speaker model.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, olivierJez said:

I think it works already, see in the cleatwater video :

I can confirm the speaker model switching in this video was done via MIDI. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, ADBrown said:

I can confirm the speaker model switching in this video was done via MIDI. 

That's interesting AD, I'd watched that video previously prior to purchasing a PC+ and it didn't register with me that Line 6 had made an official statement regarding the future implementation of L6 Link control @ 6:09

The one advantage of MIDI is that it can be used with other external MIDI controllers including most DAWs provided the user has some form of a USB to MIDI converter.