Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Future extra speaker simulations?

salty09

Are there plans in the future to create additional speaker simulations without a mic modeled, for the amp in the room sound? I would love to know that maybe a cannabis rex model without a  mic would be available in the future. 

Edited by salty09
I meant without not with a mic. Sorry

I may completely misunderstand the modeling process, or misunderstand your question, but....

How do you attempt to model/simulate the sound of a speaker without somehow capturing the sound coming from the speaker? Without a mic, how do you capture the sound? Humans capture sound with ears. Audio equipment (including computers) capture sounds with a mic. No mic -> no sound to provide the target for your modeling.

The 'amp in the room' sound comes from your ears hearing an actual amp in the room. A modeled sound is based on the sound from a mic placed in some position near the amp's speaker.

If you are looking for a mic'ed cabinet sound you should look for an impulse response for that cabinet. the Powercab speaker modeling is an amp in the room feel so it would not include the mic. It does work as an frfr cabinet as well so using an impulse response would work

Line 6 states that the knob on the back selects a modeled speaker without a Mic modeled in front of it, to give it the amp in the room sound. Not sure how they managed that, but supposedly that is what the unit does and without using the flat response setting. 

So by turning the speaker selector knob on the back, the speaker will sound like the selected speaker and will not be flat. That is the amp in the room sound they are marketing... no Mic model in front of it. The the di out will include a mic model to send to the board. 

48 minutes ago, Cody_smith said:

If you are looking for a mic'ed cabinet sound you should look for an impulse response for that cabinet. the Powercab speaker modeling is an amp in the room feel so it would not include the mic. It does work as an frfr cabinet as well so using an impulse response would work

Yeah, I don't want the Mic in front ir.  My questions is of they may add more amp in the room, speaker only models in the future. 

14 hours ago, silverhead said:

I may completely misunderstand the modeling process, or misunderstand your question, but....

How do you attempt to model/simulate the sound of a speaker without somehow capturing the sound coming from the speaker? Without a mic, how do you capture the sound? Humans capture sound with ears. Audio equipment (including computers) capture sounds with a mic. No mic -> no sound to provide the target for your modeling.

The 'amp in the room' sound comes from your ears hearing an actual amp in the room. A modeled sound is based on the sound from a mic placed in some position near the amp's speaker.

It should be possible anyway, even it's not that easy:

You could use a measurement mic with extremly linear response, like a earthworks M20, M50.....

You could record responses not in a room but in the free field to avoid reflections in this recordings (usually, measured/published frequency responses are made like that) and you could do this in different angles.

Then you could mix these recordings to get a natural response of the speaker/box, without mic coloration and without recorded room effects. Using the result as EQ with a real FRFR speaker should come pretty close to the original. All other effects - influence of the real room, ears..... remain the same.

From the manual: 

SPEAKER MODE - Intended to respond like a real guitar speaker for a traditional "amp-in-the-room" experience. This mode applies different tonal characteristics of the selected speaker model to the device's coaxial driver, with the following 3 adjustable parameters. Speaker Model - Selects which speaker model is being applied. DI Mic Model - Selects the microphone model that is applied to the XLR output signal while in Speaker Mode, intended to emulate placing the selected mic type in front of the Powercab 112 Plus active guitar speaker system. Mic Distance - Sets the distance between the simulated microphone and the simulated cabinet.

While not stated clear enough to drive the point home, imho, this shows that there is no mic model on the simulated speakers that come with the unit, but there is a mic model placed on the DI simulation. 

This video also clearly states that it is just the speaker model and not a model of a mic in front of it and says that it is a new type of modeling for them. 

Speaker Only Comment

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the point of the question which has gone un-answered is;  "will Line6 be expanding the quantity of modeled speakers in the future?"
and I assume it would be only for the 112+ since it has the USB.

Yeah, I noticed that the description for speaker Emulations on the Plus specs now says, "6 (expandable)" where the non plus model just says 6. So they are at least considering it! I ordered a Plus. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To me the real question is can someone publish "in the room" models of famous speakers without the mic model included? Most ir libraries include the mic and using them makes the powercab sound distinctly fake. By fake I mean it sounds like a recording which is kinda the point but it's not as fun to use when playing by myself or rehearsing with a band.

• Upvote 1

I've read that Live ready sound seems to have done so :

https://livereadysound.com/product/powercab-ir-pack/ (but i see nowhere that they aren't mic'ed simul)

I'm about to receive mine and i've bought the plus one for those reasons : on the plus there's an USB port that wil provide to make upgrades (there wil may be more models from L6) and that you have a midi and L6 link you can command the model change with the Helix.....

• Upvote 1