Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as Mixer

rd2rk

I'm trying to eliminate my interface (2nd gen focusrite Scarlett 18i20) as the source of my problems with odd crackling, dropouts (especially using S/PDIF) and just plain weird artifacts by using  the Helix as interface and mixer. I need to get 3 things into my DAW thru the Helix:

1) Stereo from a second laptop for backing tracks. If somebody knows how to get it into Cakewalk without a second laptop (getting the audio from the same laptop that Cakewalk is running on), that would be even better.

2) Bass from my bass preamp/DI

3) Guitar from the Helix.

My presets require 1A-2A for DSP. I ran the second laptop stereo output into RETURN 3/4 to a RETURN block at the end of 2A, pulled it down into an A/B split, routed all of the guitar signal to USB 1/2, then pulled down the output from the split and assigned it to USB 3/4.

So far, so good.

I tried to do the same thing on 1A to get the bass from RETURN 2 to USB 5/6. As soon as I do that the signal over USB to my DAW starts sputtering and cutting out.

Following the example of the 4ch Mixer Template, I tried totally separating a 1B path, same result.

If anyone has any ideas to get around this, I'd love to hear.

Guitar Input -> USB 1/2
Bass -> RETURN or AUX -> USB 3/4 or 5/6
Stereo from other laptop -> RETURN -> USB 3/4 or 5/6 (whichever's not being used for the bass)

Any plan that gets 3 separate inputs into Cakewalk.

Thanks!

If you know how to get a stream (not necessarily a file, could be YouTube or a music service) that's playing on a computer to record that stream into a DAW on that same computer, please share. But, please TEST your solution first. It SEEMS like it should work, but If it's possible, I'm missing it!

I do this when needed: Play computer audio out the computer’s headphone output, use a 3.5mm to 1/4” y-splitter to plug into my audio interface, and record the tracks in my DAW. I just have to make sure to mute the tracks being recorded so I don’t get feedback.

7 minutes ago, aaronlyon said:

I do this when needed: Play computer audio out the computer’s headphone output, use a 3.5mm to 1/4” y-splitter to plug into my audio interface, and record the tracks in my DAW. I just have to make sure to mute the tracks being recorded so I don’t get feedback.

Thanks, but doesn't lend itself to live in the moment jamming.

I'm OK with using the second laptop. I'm really more interested in being able to use the Helix to mix it all without it getting overwhelmed by it all. Not at all difficult using the Focusrite, and should work with the Helix. Is the Helix just not powerful enough? Or am I missing a routing trick?

Backing tracks from laptop over USB IN 1/2. In Global Settings>INs OUTs set USB IN 1/2 destination to a pair of USB Outputs. That will get it to your DAW. So you can have:

Guitar to USB 1/2 OUT

Bass to USB 3/4 OUT

backing tracks to USB 5/6 OUT

36 minutes ago, tagmusenmagnus1 said:

But why would you want to run audio from anywhere else than your daw? 

Why not just get the audio file first? 

I don't understand what you need this setup for. But I am interested. Could you explain? 

To be able to record my playing along with whatever music/ streaming/backing tracks, from whatever source.

YouTube and Music STREAMING services are not audio files that can be loaded into the DAW (unless they're downloaded first, BIG PITA!). Even then, downloaded/previously recorded backing tracks would have to be individually loaded in the DAW vs setting a player like WMP to play the files back randomly. Another big PITA.

As stated, I don't mind using a separate laptop for playback. Less stress on the DAW laptop's CPU.

If I can do all of this painlessly with my Focusrite, why can't it be done with Helix, "the heart of your home studio". Is it a mixer or not? I can set it up to work, but it seems to be stressing out the Helix's CPU, which indicates that either:

The Helix is a poor excuse for a mixer, OR, I'm doing it wrong.

5 minutes ago, tagmusenmagnus1 said:

Okay! 

Are the popping noises in you monitor output or just in the recording? 

Sounds like you are right: it should be possible. 

Could you post a screen shot of your patch? 

The patch didn't work, so I deleted it.

It does appear that it should be do-able. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I'm not getting it. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, jbuhajla said:

Backing tracks from laptop over USB IN 1/2. In Global Settings>INs OUTs set USB IN 1/2 destination to a pair of USB Outputs. That will get it to your DAW. So you can have:

Guitar to USB 1/2 OUT

Bass to USB 3/4 OUT

That would require being able to set Windows Audio Out to USB 1/2, not an option that I know of.

4 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

That would require being able to set Windows Audio Out to USB 1/2, not an option that I know of.

Wait I misread that, but I think it's essentially what I already tried. Let me finish lunch and I'll try it again...

24 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

The patch didn't work, so I deleted it.

It does appear that it should be do-able. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I'm not getting it. Any ideas?

Not really. 

But for troubleshooting I would start with figuring out if the pops actually come out of helix it self. 

It could be driver issues. Or sync problems... Is your daw project set to the same sample rate as your helix? 

3 minutes ago, tagmusenmagnus1 said:

Not really. 

But for troubleshooting I would start with figuring out if the pops actually come out of helix it self. 

It could be driver issues. Or sync problems... Is your daw project set to the same sample rate as your helix? 

Like I said, all painless with the Focusrite. I suspect that my needing to use 1A+2A for DSP is somehow overtaxing the Helix processor when I try to add the other inputs, which indicates that what I'm trying to do is either not possible or there's a better way.

I am pretty sure that is not the case. 

Have you tried running bass and pc in paths 1A and 1b. Then guitar on 2a.

As you might know the helix has dual dsp... One for path 1 and another for path 2. 

But I have never experienced that the unit can be overtasked. And I run very big patches with multiple inputs and multiple amps... 

6 minutes ago, tagmusenmagnus1 said:

Sorry... That was what you just wrote... It is late in Denmark :) 

I hear ya! It's lunch time here in Colorado. I'm hoping that food will revive the little grey cells...

On 4/13/2018 at 10:20 AM, jbuhajla said:

Guitar to USB 1/2 OUT

Bass to USB 3/4 OUT

So, tried this (see attached screenshot). Helix won't allow assigning USB 1/2 as an input, probably to avoid potential feedback problems.

Assigning USB IN 1/2 to a Helix output allows me to HEAR the stream, but doesn't get it back into my DAW for recording.

Edited by rd2rk
Image removed to recover attachment allotment

I'd been taking a split off of 2A for the 3/4 Return with the 2nd laptops streaming feed. By setting up a separate 2B path with no input, just the 3/4 Return, that solved the problem.