Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 400 live setting outputs/capsim off

summerdreams

Hi,

with the latest firmware for the HD400 you can switch off the cabsims in the edit software....

but what happens if I use the live output setting?

Is there a special ("live mode") capsim enabled when I take the "stackAmp" option (direct to the poweramp in of a head) or do I really get the pure amp model ( preamp model) without any colouring?

My signal chain is:  guitar-Pod HD 400 - Peavey Windsor Head (poweramp in) - Marshall 4x12

Thanks

Olly

I just checked it out today and I noticed that in in all moduses (live/dual/studio) you can dial in the cabsim...which is totally disappointing as I use this unit in dual mod (to poweramp/mixer/pa)

That means: you have to use the cabsim because otherwise you get an ugly "naked" signal on the mixer/pa...

So, when you disable the cab mode ("none") you must use an external hardware cabsim on the live output to the mixer/pa...

...even the old V-Amp from BEHRINGER could handle that...

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.4.2018 at 1:06 PM, kpsion said:

Hello are you sure it's cab sim or live cab (a barely close equalisation of sound to fake your physical cab) ?

sorry,for the late response...yeah , its live cab....the Problem is, when you turn on "no cabs" in Edit the live cabs and all colourations (???) are gone, which is great when running into a tube poweramp with guitarspeaker...

BUT at the same time the cabsim is also disabled in studio mode (xlr)...not good, as I am running into the mixer...so I need an external device for that....not good Line 6!

AND I am NOT SURE if theres still eqing involved (stackAmp)

Once again, I am talking about DUAL MODE...

First, I use an HD500 not a 400 so I'm just trying to help out here... I really don't have any way to test this :) 

According to the manual, dual mode should do what you need.... plug your 1/4" out(s) to the power amp in on your amp, and the XLR to the PA. Based on this statement below, I would EXPECT (expect is the key word) the XLR output to use the cabinet/mic modeling from the HD, and the 1/4" outputs to discard the cabinet/mic modeling. Are you saying that the cabinet and mic modelling is still being sent to the 1/4" outputs in this mode? 

From the manual

"When set to dual, direct signal meant for a guitar amplifier will be sent through the UNBALANCED L/R Outputs, and mic and speaker simulation meant for a mixer or recorder are sent through the BALANCED L/R outputs."

live cabs are tweaked for the DT amplifiers...A little BOSS GE-7 or the like is a good way to keep the patch tweaked for the PA and make a bit of correction for the amp/cab and the room...Anyway, I understand the purest approach of not wanting it, but it's pretty subtle and gets a bit of FIZZ out...At least that is how I remember it when I was gigging the 400.

2 hours ago, spaceatl said:

live cabs are tweaked for the DT amplifiers...A little BOSS GE-7 or the like is a good way to keep the patch tweaked for the PA and make a bit of correction for the amp/cab and the room...Anyway, I understand the purest approach of not wanting it, but it's pretty subtle and gets a bit of FIZZ out...At least that is how I remember it when I was gigging the 400.

yes, I plan an eq in the loop BECAUSE...For 5 Weeks now I've been trying to dial in a good Marshall sound THAT CUTS THROUGH THE MIX...with no success...  With my Tonelab LE it takes 2 minutes

Now my approach is to dial in a good tone and then do the "cut through the mix" tweak  with the hardware eq in the loop

Usually that problem is just turn down the gain and maybe bump up the mids a bit to cut thru...Especially with a second guitarist...I am sure you know that already...However most of the Marshalls other than the Park have a Master DEP default that is too high...But since you are using a tube amp, I would expect you are using a PRE model which doesn't have a DEP...If you are using a FULL model, that might be part of your problem as you would basically be doubling the power amp coloration using s FULL model...Nothing wrong with that if you like the result, but it's not really typical...and I am just grasping at straws here anyway because I cannot hear what is going on for you. good luck.

12 hours ago, spaceatl said:

Usually that problem is just turn down the gain and maybe bump up the mids a bit to cut thru...Especially with a second guitarist...I am sure you know that already...However most of the Marshalls other than the Park have a Master DEP default that is too high...But since you are using a tube amp, I would expect you are using a PRE model which doesn't have a DEP...If you are using a FULL model, that might be part of your problem as you would basically be doubling the power amp coloration using s FULL model...Nothing wrong with that if you like the result, but it's not really typical...and I am just grasping at straws here anyway because I cannot hear what is going on for you. good luck.

yeah,thanks...this thing has waaay too many interacting possibilities for a plug and play guy like me...so my new approach will be to strip that down (just the amp modeling without cabsims etc.) to a good sound with a tube poweramp and guitar cab....first with the preamp versions,then compare it with the full amp models......A second feed from the studio xlr output site will go to the mixer with a palmer cab sim....I did the same with my Tonelab LE and that worked very well...but the LE has a GREAT natural cut through midrange right out of the box...awsome device!

7 hours ago, summerdreams said:

yeah,thanks...this thing has waaay too many interacting possibilities for a plug and play guy like me...so my new approach will be to strip that down (just the amp modeling without cabsims etc.) to a good sound with a tube poweramp and guitar cab....first with the preamp versions,then compare it with the full amp models......A second feed from the studio xlr output site will go to the mixer with a palmer cab sim....I did the same with my Tonelab LE and that worked very well...but the LE has a GREAT natural cut through midrange right out of the box...awsome device!

That's a great approach. I really like the H&K Redbox too...But a Palmer box is the bomb!