Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Pedal MIDI CC latency (SOLVED) ...

codamedia

I put my HX Effects in the loop of my HD500 and use the HD as an I/O, Midi Controller and a few extra effects. Overall it works great, but I want to use the volume pedal block in the HX Effects (it has the taper option)... that is where the problem comes in. 

I have no problem assigning the EXP1 from my HD to the volume pedal block on the HX... but there is too much latency to make it usable, somewhere around 250ms or so which is not very responsive. Patch changes are instant, as are snapshot changes. I use a short midi cable (3') and have tried two different cables with the same results.

In the meantime I just setup a volume pedal block in the HD but I've never liked it because it's linear... I prefer the option of  using the Audio (LOG) taper. I could also use an external expression pedal - that seems to work fine, but I'm trying to avoid extra pieces. 

So - this isn't a big deal as I can work around it... but if anyone has any suggestions about the latency I'd be willing to give it a shot. 

On 4/14/2018 at 8:09 AM, codamedia said:

I put my HX Effects in the loop of my HD500 and use the HD as an I/O, Midi Controller and a few extra effects. Overall it works great, but I want to use the volume pedal block in the HX Effects (it has the taper option)... that is where the problem comes in. 

I have no problem assigning the EXP1 from my HD to the volume pedal block on the HX... but there is too much latency to make it usable, somewhere around 250ms or so which is not very responsive. Patch changes are instant, as are snapshot changes. I use a short midi cable (3') and have tried two different cables with the same results.

In the meantime I just setup a volume pedal block in the HD but I've never liked it because it's linear... I prefer the option of  using the Audio (LOG) taper. I could also use an external expression pedal - that seems to work fine, but I'm trying to avoid extra pieces. 

So - this isn't a big deal as I can work around it... but if anyone has any suggestions about the latency I'd be willing to give it a shot. 

Is the latency reduced if you assign the volume block at the beginning of the signal chain on the HX Effects? Does it make a difference if the only thing dialed up on the HX Effects is a volume block? Just trying to see if you can localize the latency on the HX to something else in the HX signal path or if it is just inherent when using the expression pedal on the HD500 with the HX. 

Also wondering if you get the same level of latency on both the 'Linear' and 'Logarithmic' settings on the HX.  I know having to set the HX to 'Linear' would defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do. Just wondering if it makes a difference.

Good suggestions to try... thank you.

To be honest, I don't know if the latency is introduced by the HX or the HD. I won't have access to either for a few days but I will do some troubleshooting as soon as I get a chance. 

SOLVED! 

When I did my initial test I was in controller mode on the HX setting up the communication between the two devices. In that mode - there is latency.... lots of it. But as soon as I exit that mode to another view (patch mode, stomp mode, even signal flow) the latency completely disappears and the combination is very responsive. 

So the latency problem is only in "controller mode"! That doesn't matter one bit to me... I'm just glad it actually does work as it should. 

• Upvote 1

• codamedia changed the title to Volume Pedal MIDI CC latency (SOLVED) ...