Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Tremolo in tempo issue

kev7x2010

Hey guys i just got myHX effects the other day and I programed a setlist and love it. My biggest issue so far is getting the tremolo in time. I have a preset tempo for each song, but when i kick on the trem I want it to be in time but its not. I cant get any of the trem patches to do it everytime. It seems like the tempo for the trem is engaged when you switch the pedal on and not necessarily in time with what youre playing if that makes sense. So If I don't hit the switch at exactly the right time, then the trem isnt on tempo and sounds horrible. Is there a setting or any tricks I can do besides sending a midi message from something like ableton to have it kick on in tempo every time?? I don't have this problem with my delays. They're always in time even if i kick it on on an off beat. 

I feel like my timing is pretty good but having to switch a pedal on in tempo is harder than it sounds cause is it engaged on the button down? or when the button is released?

IMO, Tremolo is not an effect that sounds best "in time"... a little loose isn't a bad thing. My tremolo is set to a fixed tempo (no idea what is is off the top of my head) and I use that for everything. In the studio I may be a little more picky :) 

1 hour ago, kev7x2010 said:

I have a preset tempo for each song, but when i kick on the trem I want it to be in time but its not.

Have you tried "tap tempo"? In my experience.... there are very few drummers in the world that will nail a tempo to a fixed preset! Get the song started and tap in the tempo... I think you will find it much more reliable. (FWIW: I don't do that with tremolo, but I do it with syncopated delays all the time)

1 hour ago, kev7x2010 said:

I have one more small question. In snapshot mode, is there a way to make it stay on the snapshot page when you switch to a different snapshot instead of jumping back to the preset page?

Pretty sure there is, but I don't have my HX or manual in front of me at this time. Check the manual, or the HX FAQ on this forum. It's there somewhere! 

15 minutes ago, codamedia said:

IMO, Tremolo is not an effect that sounds best "in time"... a little loose isn't a bad thing. My tremolo is set to a fixed tempo (no idea what is is off the top of my head) and I use that for everything. In the studio I may be a little more picky :) 

Have you tried "tap tempo"? In my experience.... there are very few drummers in the world that will nail a tempo to a fixed preset! Get the song started and tap in the tempo... I think you will find it much more reliable. (FWIW: I don't do that with tremolo, but I do it with syncopated delays all the time)

For a couple of trem parts in particular, its an intense choppy tremolo that needs to be specific. 

But my drummer is always on tempo because we play to a click!

18 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Pretty sure there is, but I don't have my HX or manual in front of me at this time. Check the manual, or the HX FAQ on this forum. It's there somewhere! 

Awesome, I'll take a look. Thanks!

3 hours ago, kev7x2010 said:

no luck in the manual

Hi Kev,

There is a way :

Go to Global Setting/switches/ Choose Snapshot mode and toggle from there. I don't remember precisely. I think you have to change from Momentary to Latch.

10 hours ago, kev7x2010 said:

For a couple of trem parts in particular, its an intense choppy tremolo that needs to be specific. 

But my drummer is always on tempo because we play to a click!

OK, I see the "why" now :)

12 hours ago, kev7x2010 said:

It seems like the tempo for the trem is engaged when you switch the pedal on and not necessarily in time with what youre playing if that makes sense.

There is no way the trem can "feel" your playing and pick a start time from that... it is locked to a clock that either begins when you engage the trem, or it begins when you change your patch. I don't have the unit with me to test this right now, but you need to figure out which one triggers the timing clock. 

1: If the clock is locked to turning on the trem, you need to practice turning it on in time with the drums. It should begin when pressed, not released.

2: If you are really struggling with it when you turn on the trem... then the clock could be tied to the patch change. While the drummer is counting in the tune, change the patch on time with the drummers count. If you need to be in at the very beginning, you may need to double the length of the count so you are all coordinated.

3: Ditch the preset tempo and try setting the trem to TAP TEMPO and tap in the time when needed. A tap will reset the start time so it is easier to lock in with an existing speed. 

Hitting the tap button once should restart the LFO for the tremolo. I kind of remember hearing that there's a bug with this functionality for the HX Effects, but if it's not now, it will in the future. The Helix currently does this.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:51 AM, phil_m said:

Hitting the tap button once should restart the LFO for the tremolo. I kind of remember hearing that there's a bug with this functionality for the HX Effects, but if it's not now, it will in the future. The Helix currently does this.

OOOhhhh, I did not know this. VERY handy info. I tend to use tremolo quite a bit.