Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

sound, tone, volume, cutting out, muffled, thin sound

robindrue

So many users of the line 6 spider iv amps have had issues with the tones going thin or tinny, or muffled and low volume etc.

I have a line 6 spider iv 120 and had the same thing start with mine.  Well mine was what I call a cascading issue that led

me to find what this issue is probably in almost all of your problems too.   Seems the main board or brain has a few 

components used in circuit boards called voltage regulators. basically is drops the voltage down to what it needs to be

and then the extra basically causes heat or is the by product which is correct and normal.  the regulators have little metal

tabs connected as a heat radiator to get rid of heat.......well the one regulator , which is one right beside the plug from the

amp supply is the one that gets a little to hot and has a built in kind of thermal safety and kicks out or doesnt run like it 

should and that is when the sounds get weird, cut out, reset amp, etc.    mine caused one of the solder joints on its 3 connections

that was weak to start to crack and then when it got warmer it really kicked in to awful mode.

so the solution?   it is simple and cheap like 47 cents..... they make a heat radiator or fin that attaches to it with a clip, screw,

or a thermal glue that is nothing more than an aluminum  piece with fingers that is about size of my thumb and now not

one issue ever!!!!   you can get them on ebay, amazon, etc.  there are 2 voltage regulators that are side by side on board

and have metal tab, 3 legs connected to board.  easy to just attach them and heat issue is gone!! hope this helps someone.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 8:45 PM, Kaypri said:

This shouldn't even be an issue. 

........Is exactly right.  A 47 cent fix for the consumer that spent a couple hundred (depending on what model) of their hard earned money? I have the same issue. Now, for me that solution is an easy fix. Others maybe not. Or maybe don’t feel like opening up an expensive piece of equipment and voiding their warranty or worse. This post is over 2 years old and that “cheap, easy” fix needs to be fixed. (Line 6) 

The unit needs to be serviced by an authorized tech who is familiar with the product and has access to service resources.

Voltage pull down on a regulator is a symptom of something else, it is not the cause. Needs to be troubleshooted and serviced

by an authorized tech who knows the product.

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, psarkissian said:

The unit needs to be serviced by an authorized tech who is familiar with the product and has access to service resources.

Voltage pull down on a regulator is a symptom of something else, it is not the cause. Needs to be troubleshooted and serviced

by an authorized tech who knows the product.

So, if it’s a voltage issue, wouldn’t that call for some sort of recall? Or at the very least a statement from Line6 letting the consumer know of the issue? This is now over 3 years since my problems with this nightmare of an amplifier began. It works for about 5 solid minutes depending on how hot the ambient temperature is. If the room is nice and frosty 40 degrees, I could probably get 10 minutes. There’s no way I’m paying someone hundreds of dollars to fix a 47 cent part on a problem that Line6 is surely aware of by now. Till then, it’s an extremely overpriced stand for my current amp. Which is NOT Line6. 

So you came back to whine?  The amp is what - 10 years old now?  The suspected "voltage issue" us not a system-specific issue, its most likely a component (or solder joint) that failed at some point.  I had a Fender Bandmaster head that had to be recapped and power transformer replaced twice.  Electronics wear out and can fail due to use/misuse/abuse.  It's just a fact of life.