Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Another speaker question...monitors or pa speakers

Mazian

Hey,

just pulled the trigger on a helix lt. So far I'm running it into the aux in of my Yamaha thr10, happy so far, but I wanted something  better in the future.

You often read about Altos and I was looking at ts210s.

I would only play at home for the foreseeable future, so I also thought about studio monitors. I usually sit in a chair while playing in a relatively small room.

The Altos would cost me about 250 for one, but something like a pair of JBL LSR305 would only cost about 200 for both.

Budget would be a factor, as getting a new guitar and the helix drained my funds quite a bit...

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Couldn't really find a satisfying answer searching older threads so far...

1 hour ago, Mazian said:

Hey,

just pulled the trigger on a helix lt. So far I'm running it into the aux in of my Yamaha thr10, happy so far, but I wanted something  better in the future.

You often read about Altos and I was looking at ts210s.

I would only play at home for the foreseeable future, so I also thought about studio monitors. I usually sit in a chair while playing in a relatively small room.

The Altos would cost me about 250 for one, but something like a pair of JBL LSR305 would only cost about 200 for both.

Budget would be a factor, as getting a new guitar and the helix drained my funds quite a bit...

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Couldn't really find a satisfying answer searching older threads so far...

Those JBL's are ideal for your circumstances...been using them in my home "studio" (I use that term loosely...I don't have much room either) for years. The next generation of 305's were just released recently, and aren't much more expensive than the old ones... $150/each, I believe. Might wanna look at those, too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mazian said:

Yeah, well, the used market here is very mediocre, already looked around...

Thanks for the replies so far!

You're unlikely to find anything used for less than those JBL's anyway... even if you get the old ones, $100/pair for monitors is about as cheap as its gonna get,  unless you buy absolute crap. 

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

I'm having the JBL's as well. They're awesome, specially for the price point, but compared them to my RCF FRFR, they tend to color, especially the higher frequencies.

If I can EQ it out it's not a big deal.

I was looking into the Altos, the ts210, which would cost me about 280, so that's basically the ballpark.

I just don't want to get something that would be basically overkill for my needs, I'd rather get something with less steam and better sound than the other way around, but not sure which way to go.

The LSR305 or larger LSR308 may be ideal for your near field setting. Their price point is compelling and they sound great. I have a set of each, and a THR10C, all of which I have used with my Helix Floor. Unless you need or want a fuller or louder sound field or to fill a larger room,  any 10" FRFR PA Monitor may be overkill. In my view, any FRFR PA needs at least about 8'-10' for the Woofer and Compression Horn to blend. Some have also reported objectionable hiss at low SPLs from some of the high power FRFR monitors. Use your ears and go with what sounds good. You can't go wrong with the JBL LSRs for near field use.