Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench connectivity with "used" Variax 500

Hi All,

I have just purchased a used Variax 500 and none of the extras came with it. I have done a quick bit of research and found out that I need the original Workbench software, not the HD version. I tracked that down OK in the downloads. I have an old laptop running Windows 7 so it will install OK. I also downloaded Line 6 Monkey. My question is this. Is there an alternate way to connect the Variax to my laptop other than me trying to find the USB interface online? Would a USB/Ethernet dongle also work with a standard Cat5 cable to do the same thing? So far I am loving the Variax, but the previous owner had made some changes to the stored models and I would like to be able to reset them to factory. For example the Sitar is a different guitar model, and the Spank models have been changed to be much louder than any other models.

There was some confusion at the store I bought it from, as to what should have been with the guitar, as it had been sold as used online, and returned to a different store with no extras. The original store in Arizona is trying to find out what was originally with it and if it was sent out to the original online purchaser or not, so I have no idea if I will be able to get the interface etc. or not.

TIA

Colin

PS. If you happen to recognize this guitar as potentially one you sold, I wanted to say that you really looked after your guitar, it still looks like new. :)

only alternative to the USB Variax interface is a XT Live, or X3 Live (or pro) pod. trying anything else will likely damage the variax.

i don't believe that the older models came with the interface... it was a 100$ addon.... the James tyler variaxes (59,69,89) did come with it.

34 minutes ago, TheRealZap said:

only alternative to the USB Variax interface is a XT Live, or X3 Live (or pro) pod. trying anything else will likely damage the variax.

i don't believe that the older models came with the interface... it was a 100$ addon.... the James tyler variaxes (59,69,89) did come with it.

Thanks for the response TheRealZap, I will see if I can track an interface down online. I had a feeling that the only option would be that, and not any other connection. I was assuming that the interface was an add on anyway, I just didn't know if it might have been included with the guitar when sold/traded. The chances of it turning up are remote anyway.
Time for some shopping.

I have found that a used XT LIVE or X3 LIVE is easier to find and about the same cost as the interface when you do find them.  I would suggest going that route. Keep in mind the "Beans" do not have a VDI port and will not work... you need the LIVE version, or the X3 Pro. 

19 hours ago, thecameralens said:

I have an old laptop running Windows 7 so it will install OK.

FYI: The older version of Workbench still installs and works fine on a Windows 10 machine... the website just doesn't show it as supported. I have it running on both a Windows 10 laptop and desktop. 

If you encounter any JAVA errors, you need to install the latest version of JAVA (java.com) to your computer because the installer can't do it automatically anymore. This problem will exist with any Windows operating system.