Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strange audio problem with UX2 and Windows 10

Hi all

I have a strange issue. I run a UX2 with Windows 10. Since the upgrade to Windows 10 I have an issue where my sound through the UX2 will stop working and I end up with no sound at all. I have spent months trying different things. The wierd part is it only stops when I have had a browser running for a while. It doesn't matter which browser I use it causes the same issue. The only way to get the sound back is by restarting Windows. All hardware information shows it's running fine when the sound stops working but I get absolutely nothing at all.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Windows 8 had a similar problem early in its release, where the audio was being saved in a file, and when it filled up, it would stop playing the audio until the computer was restarted, which re-started that file.

what version of win10 are you running? you right-click the windows start button and can type "winver" in the run box for answer  it should be something like "OS Build 15063.966"

also, is your bios up to date? I do IT in a school and work with around 500 computers/tablets consisting of 15 or so different models of laptops /  PC models.  I have found many vendors have made improvements to BIOS for win10.

If I was doing it, workflow before troubleshooting further would be:

1. update PC BIOS.

2. update windows to v1709 latest build (will show with winver "OS Build 16299.371")

3. update audio drivers

4. look for any updates/patches for audio software

5. look for updates / firmware updates to audio hardware

if your audio hardware supports it, you could try installing a virtual machine with ONLY your audio recording setup and trimming out everything else.  Once you get it working perfectly, snapshot it so you never lose the working setup.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

bsewart:  The build is Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371) but no BIOS update is probably one of the only things I haven't tried. All audio updates for the UX2 are up to date.  I'll try the BIOS and see where I end up.

Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

99.9999% of my support calls over this issue come from something else in windows grabbing that driver. Its not just with Line 6 devices, but across the board. Hopefully you already set your windows system to "no sounds". At least that way *some* windows events won't trigger grabbing the drivers. After that its time to look for the next 400 billion processes which may try and grab that driver.

An especially fun one is when another process grabs it and changes the sample rate. For more super happy extra funtime value, it wants to happen while a client is out there in the vocal booth with their headphones on, the sample rate switches, the mic preamp/A/D loses clock sync and the client gets a BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 0dBFS straight to their ears. Yay!

• Like 1

Ok. So  submitting a Line6 ticket didn't get anywhere really. Reinstall drivers and referred me to their USB problem FAQ and wished me good luck.  Though I have had a breakthrough to some degree. I've started running Edge as my web browser and after 2 days the audio has run fine with Windows 10. No dropouts at all. Tried Chrome again and after 5 minutes the audio was gone again.

So I'll keep running Edge for a bit and see if anything happens. Obviously something with Firefox and Chrome perhaps?

4 hours ago, pipelineaudio1 said:

Exactly as I said, Chrome is grabbing your driver.

Yeah pipelineaudio1. Looks like you were on the money. Both Firefox and Chrome doing the same. I really don't know how to stop them from doing it so I'll just stick with Edge for now I think. IT's doing what I want it to do.

Eventually, some website or add on will grab it on edge as well. There's a few things you can do. Some of them are a massive PITA unless you have a switching system like a central station or that new cheap behringer one

You can assign ALL of the windows sounds: webpages, alerts, the bing noise, whatever to the onboard soundcard on your computer and set your line 6 driver only for your DAW related stuff

You may be able to chose "no not map thru this device" with varying degrees of success in audio device properties

And as you said, bang it went again. I had 2 YouTube video pages open when it occurred. So damn frustrating. Maybe it's time I move away from the UX2 and try something different. I've always enjoyed PodFarm though so would miss that. hmmmmmm.....

Even the MOTUs and RME's will get ganked from time to time. 

What's crazy is, with today's multiclient drivers, they can often play along happy as can be, even with multiple sources...I have REAPER playing thru ASIO while guitar pro is playing thru WDM at the same time, no problem.

What usually murders you and alerts you to a problem in the first place, is when some other program decides it wants to play at a different sample rate. Safest thing, honestly, is to set all the other sounds to your onboard soundcard. Of course that can suck when you want to hear both at once, without a mixer or something, but it sure is peace of mind!

Another thing you can try is open windows volume mixer or whatever thats called, chose "playback devices", look at the properties for your line 6 device and under sample rates, just pick one of them, whichever you use the most. This will usually keep anything from switching sample rates on you, but not always. I'd do it for both inputs and outputs. Also, set windows sound scheme to "no sounds"

prop.PNG

I've given up and taken pipelineaudio1's advice. All windows sounds now run through my builtin speakers and Cubase runs through the UX2. It's a shame but had to be done. All working fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experiencing the same issue ever since switching to Win 10 Pro. Sound drops unexpectedly. Win7 Pro worked without a glitch.

This can happen while I'm streaming from the Inertnet or while I'm using VLC to watch videos, so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue. The only way to restore sound is, again, reboot. When it's happening with a web stream, the video stops there and then, and no other video can be started. The system might work for two weeks without problems, or the sound might again disappear a couple of minutes after reboot.

Last time this happened I tested the laptop's in-build speakers. Those made a noise, so assigning Windows sounds to in-built speakers seems like a valid option. In app volume and device preferences I can assign other applications to other sound devices, but Windows system sounds only allow Default, see attached.

Any ideas where the heck should I look next?

sound.PNG

I tried now doing this the other way round... configuring the on-board soundcard as Default device so System sounds go there. Then I configured every single application where I need sound to use UX2 as their output. Didn't help, less than 20 minutes after that sound got lost again.

I've reinstalled Pod Studio and the drivers separately for a few times, no help. Following advice on Microsoft forums I tried changing my on-board soundcard driver to Realtek... that didn't work as the driver's still Microsoft.

What next? :-(

Have you contacted line6 directly? Via a support ticket on your account page at line6.com.

They maybe be able to offer more help.

The drivers for Windows 10 are  causing a lot of troubles. Is rolling back to Windows 7 out if the question?

I took piplineaudio1's advice and am just using the UX2 for cubase. Everything else runs through onboard sound. Have had no problems since. I opened a ticket to Line6 and they said try re-installing (sigh) and then pointed me to their FAQ. Ticket closed. So basically I got nowhere with them.

Although not happy having to run all Windows audio through the onboard sound rather than through the UX2 with the monitor speakers it is working for me so I guess I'm stuck with it for now. Would love to run Spotify through my UX2 and Yamaha speakers permanently.

Thanks AusMakka

... but I don't find a way to do that other than showing in my screenshot. And setting onboard soundcard to Default device and assigning everything else but system sounds to the UX2 didn't help.

I'm getting a new laptop in a few days. I'll test with that one - but based on this thread alone I'm not confident it would help. If it doesn't I'll open a case.

Hey Peregrino69. Yeah I set my Playback through the onboard speakers and through the preferences of Cubase itself I set the output to the UX2. I don't believe you can set it individually through windows. I have seen mentioned software which will let you specify to Windows what program plays where but I'm just keeping it simple.

So looking at the image you posted change your Output to your onboard speakers, but in your DAW (if you're using one) go to the preferences and have it output through the Line6 device.

I wish Line6 would help solve this issue because I've seen it mentioned many times on the web but no solid fix for it.

37 minutes ago, Gaz_Ham said:

I bet the  helix drivers work great with Windows 10. The ux doesn't seem to have the support at the moment

No, doesn't seem to be any support. I just got moved on in my ticket.

Has anyone tested Helix drivers?

Just installed everything on a new laptop. Now if I only could get the License Manager to login so I could authorize this setup...

Line6 does have some work to do with the web services. Even deauthorizing old devices fail :(

Thanks AusMakka, I was referring to Gaz_Ham's "I bet Helix drivers work great". Unconfirmed assumptions are not really very helpful...

So the problem isn't related to Windows installation or my previous laptop. I just got the same issue with the new one. I'll check if Helix drivers work - not holding my breath - and if not, then open a support case.

What happens if you right click the speaker icon in your system tray, does it show "playback devices?" or does it take you to that app page thing?

It looks like windows is having an identity crisis at the moment with many functions following an app model and also having a mirror in a program model...On mine I can get to both the app looking thing like your screenshot and the old program/control panel looking way, and like apple app stuff, the app based model has WAY less options

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've been experiencing similar behavior with my UX1 and W10.

• When using a web browser, the sound output drops completely all of sudden, while the system reports that the device is working correctly.
  • Sound input from mixer through a jack to input 1 still functions, I can do speaking exercise in Duolingo after the sound has dropped. I just don't get any output.
  • Detaching and reattaching USB cable turns the device LED red and the device is left unresponsive. Line6 software still does not report any errors, and the device is reported to work fine by OS.
  • Rebooting relieves all symptoms.
  • Device manager does not seem to record any logs specific to the issue.
  • Setting a sample rate in W10 device properties does nothing to prevent it happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I use a Helix as an external sound card under Windows 10 and I had a similar problem with the audio not functioning on websites which had videos or just audio loops.  Worse, when I tried to play my guitar through the Helix it was "garbled".  My problem disappeared when I did the following.  I went to Settings, then System, and then Sound.  Under Input (not Audio) I chose Device Settings and the I clicked on the tab labeled Listen.  I unchecked the Listen checkbox, restarted the machine, and the problem was gone.  It might be worth a try to see if it helps your problem.  When the box is checked, it mistakes input from the Helix (and maybe the UX2 as well) as something that should be sent back to the Helix, and hence it breaks the audio flow.  Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused about some of the phrasing in your post, but here are some things to check: Is Windows 10 recognizing the UX1 as an audio device? Is Reaper audio device settings configured to use the UX1? If it's still not working, will Reaper work with selecting the default Windows sound device as the audio device? The UX1 should have POD Farm that came with it. When you run POD Farm as a standalone application and play guitar through a patch, does it generate sound? Do you have headphones or speakers plugged into the UX1 (as opposed to your normal computer audio jack)? If none of this works, it'll take some deeper troubleshooting. I use Reaper on Windows 7 with a UX2, and could put a bit of time into a Skype screenshare later on today if that would help. Clean Master Facebook Lite Mathway

• 1 year later...

Hey there!

I can see that the problem is more than a year old and I guess it should be fixed today but I gotta admit that I seem to have an identical problem.
I bought my Line6 POD UX2 in 2012 and used with a computer that was yet some years older. Some days ago I decided to buy a new pc - one of the many problems I had was that I was unable to get a sound from the system (Windows 7 btw).

Today I got my new pc (Windows 10) and tried to install my UX2. After several hours of trying I still didn't manage to get a sound from my speakers. As you may guess from my answer to this topic I have found some related problems but it seems that the solutions above won't work for me - or I do something wrong.

So please help me, I'm losing my temper over this. I don't know what you need as information but I will provide as much as I can.

So far the new pc runs with
- Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

- AMD FX 4300 4x3,8GHz

- AS Rock 760GM-HDV Mainboard

- 16 GB DDR3 PC-1600 Hynix AMD

- 512GB SSD 2.5

and mostly I have no clue what that means. :)

I have updated the driver for UX2 to version 4.2.7.7, the POD is plugged in some USB-Port and is marked as the standard device to play. To change the sample rates hasn't made any difference.
The way I see it, the noise gets to my pod - I can see that in those level devices - but doesn't get through to my speakers which are connected on "phones".

Furthermore I get some error when I start POD Farm (version 2.01):
It says that a valid license is detected but not for the recent computer. As a result it won't process audio and I should run Line6 monkey to update the device.
When I try to run Line6 monkey I can't get through to any server - I get a message that it's not possible to connect to the internet. However, I AM connected to the internet and it's definitely not blocked by my firewall.
I shall admit that POD Farm shows that the driver and the USB Firmware is not up to date which is weird 'cause I HAVE downloaded the recent driver.

Hope someone can help,

best regards - TheFoff.

10 hours ago, TheFoff said:

Hey there!

I can see that the problem is more than a year old and I guess it should be fixed today but I gotta admit that I seem to have an identical problem.
I bought my Line6 POD UX2 in 2012 and used with a computer that was yet some years older. Some days ago I decided to buy a new pc - one of the many problems I had was that I was unable to get a sound from the system (Windows 7 btw).

Today I got my new pc (Windows 10) and tried to install my UX2. After several hours of trying I still didn't manage to get a sound from my speakers. As you may guess from my answer to this topic I have found some related problems but it seems that the solutions above won't work for me - or I do something wrong.

So please help me, I'm losing my temper over this. I don't know what you need as information but I will provide as much as I can.

So far the new pc runs with
- Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

- AMD FX 4300 4x3,8GHz

- AS Rock 760GM-HDV Mainboard

- 16 GB DDR3 PC-1600 Hynix AMD

- 512GB SSD 2.5

and mostly I have no clue what that means. :)

I have updated the driver for UX2 to version 4.2.7.7, the POD is plugged in some USB-Port and is marked as the standard device to play. To change the sample rates hasn't made any difference.
The way I see it, the noise gets to my pod - I can see that in those level devices - but doesn't get through to my speakers which are connected on "phones".

Furthermore I get some error when I start POD Farm (version 2.01):
It says that a valid license is detected but not for the recent computer. As a result it won't process audio and I should run Line6 monkey to update the device.
When I try to run Line6 monkey I can't get through to any server - I get a message that it's not possible to connect to the internet. However, I AM connected to the internet and it's definitely not blocked by my firewall.
I shall admit that POD Farm shows that the driver and the USB Firmware is not up to date which is weird 'cause I HAVE downloaded the recent driver.

Hope someone can help,

best regards - TheFoff.

I can only suggest uninstalling all of your line6 intallation and re install with an older driver, available to download from the downloads section of line6.com. Downloading everything manually from there, not using monkey.

Have you removed your old pc and added your new one to your account at line6.com?

There seemed to be troubles with Windows 10 a few updates ago, but not much on the forums until recently, may be the latest driver or Windows update haven't helped.

If you still have issues with podfarm, you could try running it in compatibility mode, a quick google search will show you how.

13 hours ago, TheFoff said:

Hey there!

---

Hope someone can help,

best regards - TheFoff.

I haven't had any problems with my UX1 ever since I disabled it from being default audio playback source in Windows, which would be quite stupid anyway in my use, since I want it to assist me with playing and recording, not playing random Windows bleeps. I'm only using it with ASIO. The random sounds and generic multimedia goes through on-board soundcard.

I have the latest drivers installed, POD Farm, Monkey, all of it. No problems so far. Apparently ASIO model doesn't change much, or they take car of backwards compatibility.

• Like 1