Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects effect loop causing distortions to sound thin

gjm206

I recently purchased a FX effect unit and really like everything it can do. I'm running 4cm into a Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 36 head. As I'm building a scene, i get the distortion from the HX effect dialed in. As I add to the signal chain and place the effects loop (after the distortion) the sound becomes thin, almost like a am radio. If I turn the loop off i get the original sound. Am I missing something on the set up? I have a comp, Distortion, fx loop, chorus, delay, and noise gate. Other than using snapshots to turn the loop on only when I want  the amps distortion, am i missing something in the set up?

I checked the settings and the effect loop block was at 100%.  The distortion still sounds like a am radio when the loop in on. When I turn it off they sound great. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a remedy for it?

Thanks

Can you chart your signal path so we can all understand your setup? 

I am asking this because in a 4cm setup you need to have a loop on the HX and one on the amp... I'm not sure how you are comparing the sounds to know why you think the loop is at fault. 

I have my setup in the traditional 4cm  ...HX Fx send to tubemeister guitar in.....HX FX return to amps FX send....HX FX send to amps FX return and guitar into the mono input. The loop in my amp is on , the amp is on the clean channel and  the HX effect chain the blocks are in the following order:  compressor, distortion, FX loop, chorus, delay and noise gate. If the HX effect loop is off the distortion (from the HX effect) sounds fine. As soon as the loop is active the sound gets thin and harsh. The effect loop on my amp remains on at all times, and as expected if i shut the HX effect loop block off, i can only get the power section of the amp, not the preamp distortion

Thanks.... the chain looks like it is setup correctly... but I think I see the problem. The entire point of using 4cm is to include your amp in the sound. You didn't do that when setting up your sounds. 

• When you have the HX Effects "effect loop" turned off, all you are getting is the HX Effects direct to your amps "return"....only the master volume and power amp are being used from your amp not the pre-amp. 
  • When you have the HX Effects "effect loop" turned on , that will include your amp. This is what you really want. 

If you setup all of your overdrives with the loop off then you didn't include your amp in the tone! You have to get a good tone from your amp, then build your sounds around that... not the other way around.

IMO:  1:) Turn on the loop and leave it on. 2:) Turn off all effects (other than the loop) and dial in a great amp tone. 3:) Setup your effects to that tone! It will sound great! 

• 10 months later...

I realize this is an old topic but I am experiencing this same issue. All my drives sound Amazingwithout an Effects loop Block. Once I add the effect loop the sound goes to tin can? I am playing on the Helix HX EFFECTS.  4cm through a EVH 5150III 50 watt head and 212 matching cab. If I place a volume pedal at the end if my chain I can control the volume without the loop. EVH doesn't have a master volume. I have attached photos to show what I mean with the loop off and volume pedal on the effects and distortions sound amazing. Cut off the volume and activate the loop and it's tiny am radio sounding like OP stated? Any suggestions ? I am wired correctly in 4cm.