Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 noisy on xps mini power

Noticed that lately my old variax 300 has got noisy when using the xps mini power supply.

Years ago when I had valve amps we used to call the sound "blowy"  - white noise of varying amplitude with a bit of crackling thrown in.

Tried a new PSU on the XPS and also a new balanced cable between variax and xps mini.

Noticed that rotating the plug withing the socket on either variax or xps end creates a lot of noise but thought that might just be normal seeing as how the power is running through that .....

Any ideas on a fix?   

If not, any other ways of powering it without going through tons of batteries?

19 hours ago, mozart999uk said:

Noticed that rotating the plug withing the socket on either variax or xps end creates a lot of noise but thought that might just be normal seeing as how the power is running through that .....

That shouldn't happen. I suggest you clean the jacks on both the XPS and the Variax. Do not spray cleaner directly in... spray the jack then plug it in/out several time and repeat. Find quality cleaner (deoxit or similar) and NEVER use WD40. 

19 hours ago, mozart999uk said:

any other ways of powering it without going through tons of batteries?

Although I have an XPS mini... I most often power mine through a VDI cable connected to my HD500. The VDI is extremely useful for much more than power, but you do need a VDI compatable (XT, X3, HD) device for it to work. 

Thanks for your reply.  I've cleaned the sockets several times using Deoxit and have also run a jack burnisher in there gently a couple of times. Doesn't seem to sort it.

I've got one of those USB to variax boxes and tried powering it via that and the VDI cable  but it didn't seem to power the guitar up.  .....

It's probably going to need to be checked out by a Line 6 authorized service center. In your

area that would be E&M Electronics in Milton Keyes. Also, a former Line 6 tech has his own

shop, Mark Wright Music in Northampton, he knows his stuff, good tech.

An older product like that, there's probably a loose connector, oxidized solder joint or similar.

Don't try doing this yourself.

• 2 years later...