Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 owner but looking at pedals : DL4 FM4 any advice?

Blasterkid

Hi I was wondering.  Would purchasing the Line 6 modeler pedals like the DL4 , the FM4 or MM4 be totally redundant if I already have a PODHD500?

I apologize in advance if it's a totally moronic question but I am just learning this stuff.

I play at home and I am interested in recording myself..so it's a hobby but I am taking this somewhat seriously.

These pedals look amazing but I feel like I just don't even understand the HD500 (only had it a few months...a friend upgraded his own rig and gifted me this) which is

very cool but I just don't understand the differences yet.

The sounds I am hearing from these pedals are amazing and if the Pod can't get there...I'd like to grab the pedals.  

thanks for any insight!  

As far as I know every sound in those 3 pedals you mention are already built into the HD500 so it would be completely redundant. 

If you want to extend the HD500, I would suggest some analog overdrive pedals either before the unit, or in the loop. 

13 hours ago, Blasterkid said:

I feel like I just don't even understand the HD500

Take the time to really learn it... it's a great unit.

I recommend starting with an empty preset and build a sound one pedal at a time, and watch the output volume. Every effect you add should be kept at, or near unity gain or the output level will get out of control. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

I recommend

I wasn't going to get into the whole "learn the unit" speech. But...

I recommend starting over - flash/reset everything. Start tweaking the global settings before you even plug a guitar into the unit. 

You'd be amazed at the difference they make.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think it's necessarily redundant. The HD500 can run out of DSP very quickly. Especially if the tones you are trying to get need a Vintage PRE, Spring Reverb with a Dr Z FULL model...An outboard FX box can ease that by offloading the DSP so you can use the bigger FX in the HD500...One of the best options you can use with and HD500 is an M5. I have one of those and it is a great little utility FX box. Bascially, that box can do nearly any effect that is in the HD500 and is programmable with midi...Besides, an extra delay is always nice to have...Do you what you feel is right...No rules other than what works for you.

• Like 1

All of the effects from the pedals you mentioned are in PODHD500, so if you are just looking for those effects you are already set. If you're interested in adding more effects to your sound or balancing DSP as one user mentioned, check out the M-series of pedals from Line 6. The M-Series takes the DL4, MM4, FM4, and DM4 and puts them all in one box. A more powerful effects option would be the HX effects. HX Effects takes all of amazing sounding effects from the Helix family, plus all the M-Series effects, in one box. It can also load IR's which you could pair with PODHD500 for more tonal options. 

• Like 1

I wanted to say thank you SO much.

I was really nervous asking because I've seen this before...someone pops in, asks a totally newb question...has 1 post ever....then bails.

I really want to learn how to use this unit and work with it...and hopefully come up with a cool set up and array sounds....but it's a lot to take on from having no clue about it.

I think what made me initially nervous was...when I originally got this (which was a few years ago...I basically got this back from the friend, I'd sold it to) but like any piece of gear you update it when you get it home.  I had gone through the original presets and loved a few of the sounds..one in particular was the Jimi Got Gyped.  When I updated the unit originally...the settings or something were a little different (at least to my ears) and I was thinking..."I already messed up a sound I liked" and I had no idea how to dial it back in.

so I need to be more brave with the thing and not worry so much about messing up sounds I like.

Those pedals maybe seemed a bit less intimidating for some reason...but I am going to dig in and really try and work with this PODHD 500.

overall most of the PodHD 500X tutorials would help with this too right?  I know they are different but generally speaking I could watch a lot of those to learn about the PODHD 500?

thanks again and I will be sticking around and reading tons of old threads here also....I am sure there's a wealth of information.

thank you~!

3 hours ago, ADBrown said:

A more powerful effects option would be the HX effects. HX Effects takes all of amazing sounding effects from the Helix family, plus all the M-Series effects, in one box. It can also load IR's which you could pair with PODHD500 for more tonal options. 

This is the route I took ... and it's created a very versatile platform that has really extended the life of my HD500. Some ask why I didn't just buy a Helix, simple answer - I don't always want, and often cannot carry a full size board... the HX Effects was a perfect combination of features and size. 

3 hours ago, Blasterkid said:

overall most of the PodHD 500X tutorials would help with this too right? 

Yes... all of them are relevant. The only difference between them is the "x" has more dsp power and nicer footswitches. The programming and tones are the same.