Sign in to follow this  
theodmack

Best way to connect an external vocal mic preamp

In my use case the Helix is my primary audio interface for my DAW.

I record Guitar and Vocals using the Helix as the interface.

While I enjoy the built in microphone pre-amp for vocals, I'd like to know the best way to integrate and patch an external pre amp into the Helix.

The Mic pre is by Warm Audio.

It has a balanced +4 line level output. Both  a 1/4 inch TRS  jack and XLR are available as outputs,

Should I:

• Get an XLR -20dB pad and plug the Warm output to the Helix XLR mic input? (Ensuring the p48 is off on the helix)
  • Go into one of the line RTN 1/4 inputs, If so are these helix inputs TRS or TS and what adapter cable would you recommend?

5 hours ago, theodmack said:

In my use case the Helix is my primary audio interface for my DAW.

I record Guitar and Vocals using the Helix as the interface.

While I enjoy the built in microphone pre-amp for vocals, I'd like to know the best way to integrate and patch an external pre amp into the Helix.

The Mic pre is by Warm Audio.

It has a balanced +4 line level output. Both  a 1/4 inch TRS  jack and XLR are available as outputs,

Should I:

• Get an XLR -20dB pad and plug the Warm output to the Helix XLR mic input? (Ensuring the p48 is off on the helix)
  • Go into one of the line RTN 1/4 inputs, If so are these helix inputs TRS or TS and what adapter cable would you recommend?

Not sure if I would want to use the mic input on the Helix as you will be using your Warm Audio mic pre into the mic pre on the Helix. Redundant and perhaps capable of damaging the Helix or your monitor. A return jack might be safer and I would make sure that you dial the level way down on your mic pre as well as the Helix's return loop until you find the correct signal strength to send into the Helix. The Send/Return jacks are TS as far as I know. Each Return input is mono, you definitely need two to run a stereo input. The safest option is probably just using the Helix mic pre but I assume you have already tried that and still want the sound of your Warm Audio mic pre.

If I had an external mic pre, I probably would just use the mic input to save the loops for other things.  I'd ensure that the global settings are set properly, i.e. mic gain set to 0, phantom off, etc.  Yeah you probably would need that pad.