Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ proper configuration

Eriko77

Hi, 

I'm currently new at the forum, I own a HD500x. In every single patch I use the graphic EQ with the following configuration:

80Hz to -2.4dB, 220Hz to 0.0dB, 440Hz to 4.1dB, 1.1kHz to 2.6dB and 2.2 kHz to 0.0dB

I use to use a sound with a Park75 model in the edge of break up (Some kind of Brown sound, John Mayer Sound).I want to translate my Graphic EQ configuration-cuts to the global EQ and save one slot for other effect, but due to the Q factor I'm not getting what I want. Is some one here using the Global EQ and getting nice results?

Can you give me some guidance?

There are a couple of things you could to to make that more efficient.

1. The 80Hz cut makes sense as that is just below the low E if you use standard tuning. You can run the HPF in the cab parameters up to around 80Hz and get more cut there at the source.

2. Seems like about 2 octave filter around 700 Hz with around a 3db boost or so might be similar on the global...

Anyway, those are just a guess at a starting point. Best of luck...

• Upvote 1

For the 80hz cut I would try an HPF set to 100hz cut by about 3 db. That may seem high, but an HPF is gradual and by starting at 100 it will emcompass the "Q" that is fixed on the graphic EQ. I like the suggestion above as well.... fix that low end in the cabinet parameters. I would still recommend a 3db cut starting at 100hz.

With the other frequencies.... as I allude to in my first sentence there is a fixed Q on the graphic and it is pretty wide. The default Q on the global is likely too narrow, you will need to widen it a little (not drastically) to get the same results. Sorry I can't give you any exact numbers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spaceatl said:

There are a couple of things you could to to make that more efficient.

1. The 80Hz cut makes sense as that is just below the low E if you use standard tuning. You can run the HPF in the cab parameters up to around 80Hz and get more cut there at the source.

2. Seems like about 2 octave filter around 700 Hz with around a 3db boost or so might be similar on the global...

Anyway, those are just a guess at a starting point. Best of luck...

Thank you so much for  the starting point. Is a good one, I appreciate it.

27 minutes ago, codamedia said:

For the 80hz cut I would try an HPF set to 100hz cut by about 3 db. That may seem high, but an HPF is gradual and by starting at 100 it will emcompass the "Q" that is fixed on the graphic EQ. I like the suggestion above as well.... fix that low end in the cabinet parameters. I would still recommend a 3db cut starting at 100hz.

With the other frequencies.... as I allude to in my first sentence there is a fixed Q on the graphic and it is pretty wide. The default Q on the global is likely too narrow, you will need to widen it a little (not drastically) to get the same results. Sorry I can't give you any exact numbers. 

Thanks for the reply. Now I understand a little bit more about the Q factor!.  I will try to experiment.

17 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

Wow. You've waited an entire 4 hours before bumping your post. 

I was going to answer this, but I think I am going to make you wait. 

It was a joke, due to my response to a two years old post. Anyway, Thank you so much.

+1

i always, nowadays, notch around 100hz too clean up sound, and avoid this boomy percusive sound , pod hd has by default, sometimes i filter a bit hard when plugged in a guitar amp.

By the way this is always a nonsense for me Line6 as left such "hifi" ish default sound equalization, it's counter productive plus from a business perspective, it tend to feel like pod HD sounds like sh***  in front of other modeler that are more guitar spectrum focused.

I end up using only parametric eq nothing else , and this is another mistery for me, why Line6 do not implement at least a dual band parametric...

But this way this sound great

Personnaly i won't recommend using Global eq , unless you want to compensate room acoustic, cabinet you are plugged in , or amp

Even for Reverb quality, i d prefer eqing directly after amp, so this sound is reverberbed or fxed, whatever processiong you put after

19 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

What do those other modelers sound like when you plug in a microphone or keyboard?

Yes i completly agree,  i should have added : it tend to make Pod hd soud like lolipop in front of blala, despite this is not the case

Pod HD allows versatility and looking around to replace it i've never found a competitor really better on all features.

But at least for guitar amp... we are talking of software development !!! so they could have focused default behaviour on guitar spectrum it's just parameters and software variable.

But to recenter on the subject Global eq should really be seen as a general global adjustement so logic usage is tweaking to accomodate a lended cab, a colored bad FOH....

3 hours ago, kpsion said:

But at least for guitar amp... we are talking of software development !!! so they could have focused default behaviour on guitar spectrum it's just parameters and software variable.

As much as I love the full range aspect of the HD series for flexibility... I full agree on this. The brittle/harsh high end can be difficult to dial out of the amps... which really is the primary use of the unit. 

The "extended low end" is easily handled in the cabinet parameters with the low cut (HPF). But the high end is not... simply because they didn't include an LPF in the cab parameters. I have found that I need to insert the Vintage Pre or Mid Focus after the amp and dial back the highs to attain the desired results.