Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Be Careful When Updating

Ka5par

I finally updated Helix from 2.20 to 2.54.

Before doing so, I made backups of my presets/setlists. With the old editor and with the new 2.52. Also the File > Create Backup.

After updating I restored from the new editor backups and found all the presets a bit strange - wrong inputs, just the top path populated with blocks, only the names were correct.

Luckily the backups made with the old editor were correct.

So, be careful and make as many backups as you can.

• Upvote 1

That doesn't surprise me at all.  If I remember correctly 2.30 was a fairly significant restructuring of how the internals of the Helix worked, so the in memory structure of the presets and setlists prior to that would probably be pretty different.  But then again, that's why they stress making a backup as the first step in upgrading.

I'm in a good place right now because:

A. I haven't really saved anything (couple of cool tricks I learned in the Template but I can duplicate those)

B. the screen says 2.20 on the LT display but I haven't connected to a PC yet.

I'd like your input on the best, cleanest way to download the drivers, updates, etc. I know where the link is but it's not clear which of the available options to choose ie; updater, drivers, version etc.

Is it best just to load the drivers then see what happens or let it tell me what it needs, or go ahead & load everything first?

Thanks for any help given.

Since you don't need to make any backups the easiest method is to download and install HX Edit. The installer file will prompt you to install several components: the HX Edit program, the drivers, and the Line 6 Updater program. Choose to install all of these components. Once installed, connect your Helix via usb and run the Line 6 Updater program. This will automatically download and install the firmware - you don't need to download it separately.

To donwload HX Edit select it from the dropdown  menu in the middle (software) field of the Downloads page. After it's downloaded (it's an installer .exe file) run it.