Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX FX - 4CM and cab IR simulation at the same time

ivanmongiardo

Hi All,

I recently purchased the new HX FX and was doing some test using the 4CM with my amp (EVH 5150 III). I would like to get 4CM together with IR cab loader, in order to have a parallel path on the HX to feed my DAW or PA with cab simulation.

Right now, to achieve this, what I came with is:

- Set the OUTPUT L/R as line level and connect these to my DAW

- Set the S/R Loop 2 to instrument level and connect the send 2 to my amplifier 

- In path A, put the IR loader

- In path B, put the SEND2 Loop block

But in this way, I am using ad additional block (the SEND2 loop block), I cannot use the 2nd loop anymore, and I have to change the global settings (and also the patch construction chain) in the case I need to return back to the standard 4CM.

I wonder if there is better way to achieve 4CM together with IR cab simulation.

Thanks for your help!

There are two things that come to mind for me....

If I were using your chain, why bother separating the paths? Just insert SEND 2 right before the IR (don't use a loop, use a send as it doesn't need to be returned). Use the "send" to your amp, and use the output to your DAW/PA.

To preserve the Loop for other use... place the IR last and drop it to path B. It should become the only item in path B at the very end. Next, head over to the output Y and hard pan the paths LEFT and RIGHT. Send Path A to your amp and path B to your DAW /PA. You will have to compromise on your output setting. You can set it to LINE and turn down the output going to the amp... or you can set it to Instrument and turn up the signal going to the DAW/PA (both volumes are in the Output Y with the pans). Using the latter would be my preference... as a DAW/PA will have more options to deal with input gain than an amp does (IMO), but this is something to experiment with to get the best results. 

Good luck....

Hey.. thanks! I came with the same (2nd) solution after posting this.

For everybody facing the same needs:

- set the OUTPUT level to match your amp loop spec

- put a IR loader block last in the chain, move alone in the path B, set block level to maximum allowed (+6 dB)

- on the mixer block, pan path A hard left and path B hard right - connect the amp with the standard 4CM method using the OUTPUT L to feed your amp return 

- connect the OUTPUT R from HX to your PA/DAW

- on the mixer block, raise the B path level to match your PA/DAW input

If you don't need the PA/DAW signal coming from path B, make sure plug a cable or jack into OUTPUT R or deselect the IR loader on path B, otherwise you will get also the IR path feeding your amp.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ivanmongiardo said:

If you don't need the PA/DAW signal coming from path B, make sure plug a cable or jack into OUTPUT R or deselect the IR loader on path B, otherwise you will get also the IR path feeding your amp.

Good catch... thanks for the reminder!

Here's my setup for accomplishing  what you're after...  I do use my helix as my audio interface but I don't think that would matter much...

Helix Snd1 > Amp Input > FX Snd > Helix Return 1 > Helix 1/4 L out > FX Return > Amp Spk Out > Two Notes Captor DI > DI Line Out > ( Helix Aux In & 4x12 Cab)

This way I can run modeled or analog, go direct to DAW through USB, to my monitors using XLR or to my 4x12. I can also play around with wet/dry/wet setups if I'm feeling, ya know, out there...

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, codamedia said:

There are two things that come to mind for me....

If I were using your chain, why bother separating the paths? Just insert SEND 2 right before the IR (don't use a loop, use a send as it doesn't need to be returned). Use the "send" to your amp, and use the output to your DAW/PA.

To preserve the Loop for other use... place the IR last and drop it to path B. It should become the only item in path B at the very end. Next, head over to the output Y and hard pan the paths LEFT and RIGHT. Send Path A to your amp and path B to your DAW /PA. You will have to compromise on your output setting. You can set it to LINE and turn down the output going to the amp... or you can set it to Instrument and turn up the signal going to the DAW/PA (both volumes are in the Output Y with the pans). Using the latter would be my preference... as a DAW/PA will have more options to deal with input gain than an amp does (IMO), but this is something to experiment with to get the best results. 

Good luck....

I've finally found a better solution - a sort of virtual triamping - in this way:

- effects before my amp (wah, dist, etc.., mono version)

- after these fx blocks, put a fx loop 1 in the signal chain

- cable from send1 plug to guitar in on the amp

- cable from line out of the amp to return1 plug on the hx

- one IR block just after the fx loop 1 block

- here, what you need to feed the PA with wet signals (stereo version)

- cables from HX outputs plugs to PA

In this way I get the amp sound (dry) to hear my self on stage, and L/R wet signal with IR simulation for the FOH. Only 2 blocks are used!

In addition, with slight modifications is also possibile to get dual amp with the same patch (disable the ir block, use the standard 4cm cable connection and link the R output to the power section of a second amp) .

Regards