Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I switch off the Variax model when changing to a different preset on Helix

Neilfatmonkey

Hi there,

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Variax or Helix sections, but I decided here. First post, so please be gentle. I did perform a search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I use my Helix with a JTV69 Variax and have the Variax models change per preset and also per snapshot. Sometimes though I want to change to a new preset and just have the Variax models turn themselves off so it's just using the magnetic pickups for a specific preset. I know that I can change the input block to Variax magnetics, but I'm reluctant to change it from Multi as I still use normal guitars through my Helix too.

Is there any way you can force the Variax models to turn off from preset to preset? When I leave the settings as Don't Force, it just carries across the last Variax model selected by the previous preset. I wan't to go from a preset with say a T Model 1 setting to a new preset where it's just using magnetics with no Variax modelling.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Neil

43 minutes ago, Neilfatmonkey said:

Hi there,

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Variax or Helix sections, but I decided here. First post, so please be gentle. I did perform a search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I use my Helix with a JTV69 Variax and have the Variax models change per preset and also per snapshot. Sometimes though I want to change to a new preset and just have the Variax models turn themselves off so it's just using the magnetic pickups for a specific preset. I know that I can change the input block to Variax magnetics, but I'm reluctant to change it from Multi as I still use normal guitars through my Helix too.

Is there any way you can force the Variax models to turn off from preset to preset? When I leave the settings as Don't Force, it just carries across the last Variax model selected by the previous preset. I wan't to go from a preset with say a T Model 1 setting to a new preset where it's just using magnetics with no Variax modelling.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Neil

I know you don't want to, but if you're switching to a different patch anyway,  the path of least resistance is to just use the input block to switch to the mags. I find that the Variax, strange animal that it is, really requires it's own bank of patches anyway....I've never had much luck using a patch dialed in with the JTV with any other guitars. Plus, there's so much storage space in Helix, keeping a handful of patches specifically for use with the Variax isn't really a big deal.

What you can also do, instead of switching to a separate patch, is run 2 separate paths, one with the input set to "multi", and the other to "Variax mags"... then use snapshots, or the expression pedal to toggle between them. I have several set up this way, with one path for the acoustic models, and the other for the mags... but you could also have two identical paths, except for the input block. Leave one on "multi", and the other on "Variax mags", and you should be able to use that patch with any guitar you want. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neilfatmonkey said:

That is a great idea and I have to admit I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm still very new to this so I'm finding my way around all the nuances of the beast. Thanks very much for your help.

It takes a while to get used to this stuff... modeling is weird, and with Helix there are so many ways to do things, it isn't always obvious. Rock on! 

Just save the patch in whatever state you want the Variax to be in and it will recall that way. My typical Gigging setup is a JTV-69S and either a Strat Deluxe, Les Paul, or (a really nice) Epiphone Sheraton II Pro. I use snapshots to control a couple of open tunings and an acoustic tone within the same patch. But I save the patch with the Variax Mags. In any case, the other guitar into the guitar input always works. I just have to remember to turn its volume down when I put it on the stand, a good habit anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

Just save the patch in whatever state you want the Variax to be in and it will recall that way. My typical Gigging setup is a JTV-69S and either a Strat Deluxe, Les Paul, or (a really nice) Epiphone Sheraton II Pro. I use snapshots to control a couple of open tunings and an acoustic tone within the same patch. But I save the patch with the Variax Mags. In any case, the other guitar into the guitar input always works. I just have to remember to turn its volume down when I put it on the stand, a good habit anyway.

I think his problem is he wants to keep the input to multi all the time. He wanted some way to have only the Mags on while keeping the input at multi. I think right now if you keep it on multi, the mags won't appear. Just the modelling. I'm not at home so I can't check this.

• 1 year later...

Some guys in another post recommended the following and it works:

Build a custom guitar on the Variax, supposedly body type and pickups do not matter. Set Mags to 100% this forces the guitar to use the mags.

With that and your special custom Variax model chosen on the "Preset Variax Model" parameter also under snapshot control, choose your custom model for that snapshot

I tried using an acoustic model on 1 snapshot and my custom model using mags only on another snapshot and it works (just make sure you do the hold down and twist so the brackets [  ] show up like when switching other parameters in the same patch).

Link:
https://line6.com/support/topic/26116-snapshots-switching-between-variax-mags-and-models/

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, amsdenj said:

I was struggling with the same thing and this worked fine for me. I am using the "Multi" input type like the OP asked for and just saving it with any model on, or the models turned off and the mags on, and it works. So simple it's counter intuitive...