Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to stop recording a loop?

NUKETHEMOON

unit: hx effects

firmware: 2.40.0

Is it possible to stop recording a loop w/ a single action?

I know that i can hit record to start a new loop - that's not what I want.

I know that I can hit play twice real fast to play and then stop, but some of the loop will still play (whatever sneaks out in between the first and second press of the button).

UNDO works fine for overdubs, so I was surprised that it wouldn't also abort the current recording. (IMO, UNDO should stop the current recording for the first loop.)

This might not seem like a big deal, but I depend heavily on the looper so this could be a deal-breaker that causes me to return the unit in favor of something else, which I don't want to do!

Thanks.

• Like 1

The looper in the Helix is VERY basic and I don't think it will do what you want it to do. Which is, I think, you want to be able to stop it without it immediately playing back. I'm not totally sure but I don't think that's possible. And if that's what you want to do, even if you could stop it right away, if you stop playback and hit record again it overwrites the previous recording. Basically you can only layer tracks as it's "going" and if you stop it and hit record again, you will record over everything. The Helix is great but the looper is NOT a good reason to get the Helix. You can always put a good looper in an FX loop but the Helix looper is basically a one trick pony.

I think, you want to be able to stop it without it immediately playing back.

Correct. 

even if you could stop it right away, if you stop playback and hit record again it overwrites the previous recording

That's fine. This is only really critical for getting rid of a recording that has a mistake in it. Which is funny, because in overdubbing mode that's what the UNDO button does. (Still can't believe that UNDO doesn't just stop recording when you're on the first loop.)

Even my 15 year old Digitech GNX5 had a dedicated "Stop/Undo" button built in to the onboard looper. 

• 1 month later...

My line 6 m9 can do use undo switch to stop recording without playing the bad take loop. But now i use hx effect and helix and they can't do like my old m9 in looper function. Hope new firmware will fix this point.

I put the Boss RC3 (w/ the FS7 footswitch) in a loops on the LT so I could have more control. But when the block is on even if not using the looper it boosts the signal. Not in a helpful way. I haven't tried to isolate the problem yet so don't know if that's a normal chatacterisitic or there's a problem w/ the Helix. If it's normal it pretty much makes it unusable.

• 1 month later...